“Horrible, Horrible, Horrible.”
Review of Captain's Quarters

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in St. John's
Captain's Quarters
Ranked #23 of 24 Hotels in St. John's
Reviewed May 10, 2014

This "hotel" is revolting. Abound with fornicators and philanderers, sleep is almost impossible. It was like sleeping is a brothel but without the charm. It looks awful, smells awful, and oozes sleaze through every pour. The non-smoking room smelt strongly of smoke; the smoke detector was covered by plastic and there were cigarette holes on our bed sheets. I suspect a liberal interpretation of "non-smoking" and an even more liberal interpretation of "clean". The the wifi didn't even work. The sink was blocked and we could hear loud music and sex until well after 3am, with the owners/management either oblivious or completely unconcerned. We didn't even make it to breakfast and opted instead to run like hell. We paid $140 dollars for the privilege, off-season. Great for masochists and self loathers, for everybody else stay well, well away. Utterly grim.

• Stayed: May 2014, traveled as a couple
22  Thank Leon L

Reviewed April 14, 2014

Got in on a late flight , only place that had a room for rent, well if you want to call it that, was CQ. Upon arrival, the cab driver wished me the best of luck, should have known right then and there to turn around. As I made my way in the front door, because you would never call it a lobby, there was no one there to greet me nor check me in, and considering the front desk is about the size of a kids closer I could understand why. I found the guy who worked there sitting at the bar with maybe an overnight cleaner? Okay fine. Got my key, after some paperwork, by this time my sense of smell accepted and got used to the musty, smoky air that welcomed my arrival. As I walked the narrow, old stairway with disturbing carpet, passed the random cat laying on the middle tier, up to my room I cringed, knowing that it's not going to get any better, but, I figured stay positive, give it a chance. As I entered my room , I felt like I just walked into the 1970s era , with everything looking like the owner just purchased it off of one of his ancestors during a yard sale. As I laid down my gym bag, to make my may around the room, it was freezing , I sat in my jacket on the edge of the bed and contemplated my next move, I decided to shrug it off and turned on the old school tube tv, guess what, all snowy, hardly any reception . That was it, back downstairs I went, once again, finding myself looking for the person working, only to find him sitting at the bar once again. I told him, this is ridiculous, paying 160$ for a run down room with zero heat and no tv reception, I want my money back and I want to leave. Couldn't give me any money back, but insisted to let him find me a better room. He led me up the stairs and gave me two room choices. One, which he was so excited to tell me, " You can control your own heat in here ". Dude seriously? My own heat, it's 2014 , I'm paying 160$ , but get this, one room had heat but no tv reception, the other had tv reception but no heat. Needless to say I choose the one with heat. I sucked it up, laid on top of the bed in all my outdoor wear still on, cranked the heat and managed to get a couple hours of sleep, I had the hotel till noon Sunday but my 7pm Saturday night, I had enough, I contacted a friend and planned to stay there that night. As I went downstairs, once again, no one in their makeshift front desk, but once again serving the bar. I told her I was leaving , which she responded " But , like, aren't you here till Sunday " to which I responded " I was supposed to be but just can't stay any longer" . She offered no apology, nor questioned why, just said okay brought me to the front desk so I could get my damage deposit, which was probably more then everything in the room cost all together. I handed her the key and said, will I wait till you check my room or anything, which she responded " Nah, it's good, you go on " , at that time I left looking back watching her make her way, you guessed it, back to the bar. I wouldn't recommend this place to my worst enemy, to charge 160$ for a ridiculous joke of a so called " hotel " is ludacris. Get with the times, I could understand a " Victorian " aspect but charging that kind of money, get some new beds, linens, thermostats, tvs and for the love of god, reception, in every room.

• Stayed: February 2014
19  Thank Mark P
Reviewed February 26, 2013

We stayed in the Family Suite. Very large and Cozy, terrific breakfast buffet . Located within walking distance to most attractions, telegraph hill, the docks, This is a charming historic inn located in north Americas oldest city .

Room Tip: there is no pool
  • Stayed: June 2012, traveled with family
4  Thank jt08080
Reviewed December 23, 2012

I got off the plane at 3:44 Am, I was in need of a hotel, and the cab driver took me around the downtown area only to find that nothing was available. He then took me to a hotel that I loved as soon as I entered the driveway, Old Victorian Hotel that exhumed its age, but was understated in the modern amenities that I was need of as soon as i entered the hotel.

Security met me at the door so I have no understanding what the other reviewer is talking about that could lead to the idea that no one was ever around. He was pleasant in the understanding of myself in need of a room. I paid for my room which was by far cheaper than any of the rooms in the downtown area by far but never missed on the pleasantries that I was to find in the next couple of days...

I woke up to the sound of silence, in the room; again don't know what the other reviewer was talking about. I then went out to the lounge area ( it was then almost 11:45 ) to have a coffee, was pleasantly surprise to find the barmaid/waitress/ mom, was there with a good morning , how was your sleep, we talked for over an hour and I now forgot what I was there for...Coffee.

Deb (Barmaid / Bartender) was ever so pleasant, needless to say I was suppose to leave that morning to take a bus out, but opted out to stay for an extra day. Kept the same room, and enjoyed the day talking with Deb.

Deb, introduced me to a guy, that I thought was a local worker, that was there to help upkeep the place, making sure that the xmas light was to be put up, the decorations were done for xmas, and the grounds were kept tidy. I found out later that he was the Owner and this was a normal everyday occurrence for him to be around.

Then there was Kelly, the Red headed bartender that could bring life out of a dying man. She came there with the energy that I thought was just a myth of being a Red head. Always dancing, singing, a talking to patrons, like she has known them all her life, asking about trivial things that may seem insignificant to me and you, but would seem like a joy to answer for the patron that just wanted to know if someone cared.

Sorry for the long review, but I Do Not Think Marcel the owner deserves the Horrible things that was said about his establishment, he treats everybody, the same way I treat everybody, Human. And that exhumes down to each and every staff member...

Needless to say, I stayed an extra 2 days.....

And i will be back before the New Year...

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled solo
2  Thank FortMacNewfie
Reviewed November 11, 2012

AVOID THIS "Hotel". It's a nightmare. The rooms are AWFUL. They smell like a combination of stale TOBACCO, MARIJUANA, BODY ODOR, & SEX. Funny seeing how there is a sign that says no smoking. Run down, poorly painted, and there is no attempt at upkeep. The showers and bathrooms were so disgusting I had to go out and buy a bottle of cleaner before we could use it. If you wanted towels or anything from the front desk u had to down & get it, most times going back several times before you could catch someone there. After checking the beds for bugs we tried to sleep: At this “Hotel” that’s hard to do with pay by the hour customers in the next room going at it. And YES they were because I knocked on the door & the girl told who she was & what she was doing. (No Shame) The hotel may have been restored to maintain its magnificent historical features they say, but it’s poorly done and poorly cleaned. Their idea of a Continental breakfast was 3 kinds of cereal. To top it all off after we were home a day I noticed a rash, went to the doctor & guess what, picked up some scabies while we were there. I could go on but I hope I have said enough so that you will not stay there. For the record I am not a former employee like the owner tried to say about a previous bad review that someone wrote. I couldn’t stomach staying there, can’t imagine having to work there, & have face enough to take someone’s money knowing the filth that awaits them behind their bedroom door...

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled with friends
19  Thank KarinX4
Reviewed October 30, 2012

This is by far the most awful, disqusting, horrible HOLE on the planet. It is OLD and RUNDOWN! The beds are so old they sag in the middle and actually touch the floor in the middle. Washroom was not cleaned....YUCK. The floors are dirty and warped. The hotel STINKS of urine and smoke. Staff were NEVER at front counter, they were in the lounge so could not reach them by phone, would have to go to the lounge to get them because you could never reach them. Couldn't sleep at all while there. Did not feel safe or secure and doors and locks are so old. No way to view into hallway through door. Pretty sure this establishment caters to "rent by the hour" Could hear the other guests and their "companions" (for lack of a better word) through VERY THIN walls day and night. Very shaddy people lurking around. I wouldn't stay here again if my actual life was hanging by a thread and it was the only thing that could save me. PLEASE do yourself a favor and sleep on the street somewhere before staying here. It would be cleaner. Unless of course you don't mind this sort of thing or like to drag home anything that walks and in that case fill yer boots... but keep them on for the love of God because its filthy there. This place needs to be shut down ...it is appalling that it is an operating business charging $150.00 per night..... INSANE. Beware, Beware, Beware!!

Stayed: September 2012, traveled with friends
13  Thank Annie B
fallsbradore, Owner at Captain's Quarters, responded to this reviewResponded November 9, 2012

I am the owner of the Captain's Quarters Hotel.

I take great exception to the false and misleading remarks set out in the Oct 30th review and point out that the so-called author of this review may likely be a disgruntled former employee who was recently fired for good cause . A detailed review of the guest ledger for that date has revealed that no guest has matched the description of the individual who wrote this false review. And that the guests who were staying at our hotel on the relevant date have been contacted and were quite pleased with the hotel and employee services. I would therefore warn both TripAdvisor and future guests to be very wary of the accuracy of the so-called "phantom guest" who may not have been a guest after all.

The true and accurate facts are as follows:

(1) -Every guest has telephone access to both the front desk and lounge staff, and staff are available 24/7;
(2)-The rooms and common areas of the hotel are continually being upgraded and extensive renovations were carried out in 2012. As owner I am committed to ensuring that improvements and renovations will be made on a continual basis in the future for the benefit of our guests;
(3)-Cleanliness is a hall- mark of our hotel and our staff are trained to focus on cleanliness for the benefit of our guests;
(4)- Our staff are friendly and courteous at all times and ensure that all our guests have a pleasant stay.

Finally, all of the false allegations made in this review can be refuted and I welcome the opportunity to invite all future guests to visit our very special and friendly hotel where your satisfaction is guaranteed and where you will see for yourself the special amenities we have to offer.

The Owner

Reviewed July 1, 2012

Very roomy,clean,walk to the scenic harbour front and Dow town-we will stay there again, no need to shop around other accommodations ,best value for us being a group of 5!

• Stayed: June 2012