See what travelers are saying:
Reviewed December 23, 2012

I got off the plane at 3:44 Am, I was in need of a hotel, and the cab driver took me around the downtown area only to find that nothing was available. He then took me to a hotel that I loved as soon as I entered the driveway, Old Victorian Hotel that exhumed its age, but was understated in the modern amenities that I was need of as soon as i entered the hotel.

Security met me at the door so I have no understanding what the other reviewer is talking about that could lead to the idea that no one was ever around. He was pleasant in the understanding of myself in need of a room. I paid for my room which was by far cheaper than any of the rooms in the downtown area by far but never missed on the pleasantries that I was to find in the next couple of days...

I woke up to the sound of silence, in the room; again don't know what the other reviewer was talking about. I then went out to the lounge area ( it was then almost 11:45 ) to have a coffee, was pleasantly surprise to find the barmaid/waitress/ mom, was there with a good morning , how was your sleep, we talked for over an hour and I now forgot what I was there for...Coffee.

Deb (Barmaid / Bartender) was ever so pleasant, needless to say I was suppose to leave that morning to take a bus out, but opted out to stay for an extra day. Kept the same room, and enjoyed the day talking with Deb.

Deb, introduced me to a guy, that I thought was a local worker, that was there to help upkeep the place, making sure that the xmas light was to be put up, the decorations were done for xmas, and the grounds were kept tidy. I found out later that he was the Owner and this was a normal everyday occurrence for him to be around.

Then there was Kelly, the Red headed bartender that could bring life out of a dying man. She came there with the energy that I thought was just a myth of being a Red head. Always dancing, singing, a talking to patrons, like she has known them all her life, asking about trivial things that may seem insignificant to me and you, but would seem like a joy to answer for the patron that just wanted to know if someone cared.

Sorry for the long review, but I Do Not Think Marcel the owner deserves the Horrible things that was said about his establishment, he treats everybody, the same way I treat everybody, Human. And that exhumes down to each and every staff member...

Needless to say, I stayed an extra 2 days.....

And i will be back before the New Year...

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled solo
2  Thank FortMacNewfie
Reviewed November 11, 2012

AVOID THIS "Hotel". It's a nightmare. The rooms are AWFUL. They smell like a combination of stale TOBACCO, MARIJUANA, BODY ODOR, & SEX. Funny seeing how there is a sign that says no smoking. Run down, poorly painted, and there is no attempt at upkeep. The showers and bathrooms were so disgusting I had to go out and buy a bottle of cleaner before we could use it. If you wanted towels or anything from the front desk u had to down & get it, most times going back several times before you could catch someone there. After checking the beds for bugs we tried to sleep: At this “Hotel” that’s hard to do with pay by the hour customers in the next room going at it. And YES they were because I knocked on the door & the girl told who she was & what she was doing. (No Shame) The hotel may have been restored to maintain its magnificent historical features they say, but it’s poorly done and poorly cleaned. Their idea of a Continental breakfast was 3 kinds of cereal. To top it all off after we were home a day I noticed a rash, went to the doctor & guess what, picked up some scabies while we were there. I could go on but I hope I have said enough so that you will not stay there. For the record I am not a former employee like the owner tried to say about a previous bad review that someone wrote. I couldn’t stomach staying there, can’t imagine having to work there, & have face enough to take someone’s money knowing the filth that awaits them behind their bedroom door...

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled with friends
20  Thank KarinX4
Reviewed October 30, 2012

This is by far the most awful, disqusting, horrible HOLE on the planet. It is OLD and RUNDOWN! The beds are so old they sag in the middle and actually touch the floor in the middle. Washroom was not cleaned....YUCK. The floors are dirty and warped. The hotel STINKS of urine and smoke. Staff were NEVER at front counter, they were in the lounge so could not reach them by phone, would have to go to the lounge to get them because you could never reach them. Couldn't sleep at all while there. Did not feel safe or secure and doors and locks are so old. No way to view into hallway through door. Pretty sure this establishment caters to "rent by the hour" Could hear the other guests and their "companions" (for lack of a better word) through VERY THIN walls day and night. Very shaddy people lurking around. I wouldn't stay here again if my actual life was hanging by a thread and it was the only thing that could save me. PLEASE do yourself a favor and sleep on the street somewhere before staying here. It would be cleaner. Unless of course you don't mind this sort of thing or like to drag home anything that walks and in that case fill yer boots... but keep them on for the love of God because its filthy there. This place needs to be shut down ...it is appalling that it is an operating business charging $150.00 per night..... INSANE. Beware, Beware, Beware!!

Stayed: September 2012, traveled with friends
13  Thank Annie B
fallsbradore, Owner at Captain's Quarters, responded to this reviewResponded November 9, 2012

I am the owner of the Captain's Quarters Hotel.

I take great exception to the false and misleading remarks set out in the Oct 30th review and point out that the so-called author of this review may likely be a disgruntled former employee who was recently fired for good cause . A detailed review of the guest ledger for that date has revealed that no guest has matched the description of the individual who wrote this false review. And that the guests who were staying at our hotel on the relevant date have been contacted and were quite pleased with the hotel and employee services. I would therefore warn both TripAdvisor and future guests to be very wary of the accuracy of the so-called "phantom guest" who may not have been a guest after all.

The true and accurate facts are as follows:

(1) -Every guest has telephone access to both the front desk and lounge staff, and staff are available 24/7;
(2)-The rooms and common areas of the hotel are continually being upgraded and extensive renovations were carried out in 2012. As owner I am committed to ensuring that improvements and renovations will be made on a continual basis in the future for the benefit of our guests;
(3)-Cleanliness is a hall- mark of our hotel and our staff are trained to focus on cleanliness for the benefit of our guests;
(4)- Our staff are friendly and courteous at all times and ensure that all our guests have a pleasant stay.

Finally, all of the false allegations made in this review can be refuted and I welcome the opportunity to invite all future guests to visit our very special and friendly hotel where your satisfaction is guaranteed and where you will see for yourself the special amenities we have to offer.

The Owner

Reviewed July 1, 2012

Very roomy,clean,walk to the scenic harbour front and Dow town-we will stay there again, no need to shop around other accommodations ,best value for us being a group of 5!

• Stayed: June 2012
1  Thank Cheriewi
Reviewed June 26, 2012

My husband and I are not picky travelers. There were very few vacancies in town and we liked the location of CQ (it looked good on the website!). When our cab driver dropped us off he wished us luck with the accommodations- perhaps we should paid more attention to his cautions. The hotel is rough around the edges but relatively clean- upon first look. The staff were friendly enough.

Sadly that is where the positives end. There were a number of shady characters hanging around the hotel/bar area. I would not have been comfortable staying there by myself. There was also some yelling in the middle of the night. Before 8:30am the next morning there were renovations in the hall outside our room that made it impossible to sleep. The beds were terrible in our room and we woke up with several BED BUG BITES. We promptly left.

I would urge you to keep looking!!! We've had days of washing and decontaminating all of our goods that were exposed to bedbugs. We were very disappointed with our experience but fortunately the people were incredible at our next hotel (helped us deal with exposure and limit risk to their place) and it completely turned out trip around!

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled as a couple