See what travelers are saying:
Reviewed August 25, 2011

Stayed there in July. We had a three bedroom suite. The housekeeping leaves a lot to be desired, even for newfoundland.

• Stayed: July 2011
3  Thank the_holiday_kid
Reviewed July 26, 2011

We stayed at this hotel for two nights at the beginning of July 2011 and paid $105.00 per night plus HST. It is an 18th century old merchants marine's home turned into a hotel. If you want to stay in a place from that era then this would be okay for you. Appears to need a LOT of updating even to make it seem welcoming. When we arrived around noon, we had to go into the bar to find someone to check us into the hotel. The actual reception area and I use that term loosely was a small closet size area enclosed in glass. I was shocked to see, in this day and age, that the bookings were kept in a binder under the bar counter.

The main floor is comprised of a dining area complete with the old fashioned fireplace of that era but the ambiance is spoiled by the fact that it is filthy and unkempt. It could be beautiful if restored; another room containing a pool table and a small bar with VLT's along one wall. It is very dark and dingy. There are some rental rooms on this floor along with the stairs going up to the second and third floors. The is NO elevator so if you have trouble negotiating stairs this is not the hotel for you.

The doors to the rooms are very aged and the locks still need the key with the old style huge key fob. Our room was on the second floor with a tiny window. The room comprised of a double bed. dresser, two chairs and a small round table in the corner. It was so small that you could just barely walk between the bed and the dresser and it would be impossible if you opened the dresser drawers. The bathroom was very dated but served it's purpose. No space to put any toiletries. There was no closet but a kind of rack build onto the wall with a bar to hang clothes. Soundproofing is non existent. You hear everything including the dog next door howling to get in out of the rain!

The hotel offers a breakfast included with the cost of the room. If you are looking for anything other than cold cereal you will be very disappointed. The same young girl was working anytime we approached the desk / bar and she seemed friendly enough although was more interested in bar tending than looking after paying guests.

It is close to all the touristy areas in St. John's and within walking distance to most of the
sites and that is probably the only aspect this hotel has going for it. I judged this hotel from write ups in the tourist book that NL publishes.......... very misleading. Unfortunately there were three conferences taking place in St. John's during the time of our stay and it was impossible to find another room so were were between a rock and a hard place. As seniors, sleeping in our car was not an option but we considered it. We would not consider staying at this establishment ever again.

• Stayed: July 2011, traveled as a couple
5  Thank Beverley S
Reviewed October 15, 2010

My husband, my adult son and I stayed at the Captain's Quarter for a 2 nights stay on October 6 to Ocotber 8, 2010. My husband and I had stayed there previously. Even thoug hit was not fancy, I had been fine since it is downtown. During our stay my husband was bitten by bed bugs. This was not major as it is expected even in the best hotel. The problem was when we reported it the owner accused us of bringin them with us. This was very offensive as we were not coming from another hotel. We were coming from my house. Furthermore, there were a lot of bugs in the top left end corner of the box spring. If the bugs would have been brought with us they would not have had time to multiply this rapidly. The room was double the price what we had paid in the spring - $130/ night as opposed to $65/night. We received $60 back in compensation. However, the defensive accusatory attitude of the owner really turned me off.

• Stayed: October 2010, traveled as a couple
13  Thank DanLaw
Reviewed September 7, 2010

older hotel. friendly service. on our first night we got a great room -clean and newly remodelled. Not so the second night - the floor and bed were so slanted we had to re-make the bed to change headside down towards the middle of the room so our feet would'nt be uphill. Window didn't work.
Great spur of the moment squeezebox performance by a local in the former dining room made this stay all the worthwhile.

• Stayed: August 2010, traveled as a couple
1  Thank BCsnowbird
Reviewed August 6, 2010

I ended up sleeping in my car instead. We arrived at the hotel without a reservation, before we could leave, they had a cancellation and let us take the now available room. They made sure we paid before we realized that it was a smoking room. Who smokes inside anymore? The adjoining rooms were rented to a dozen young lads who were in town for the George Street Festival. Oh boy, after a night of listening to broken beer bottles and boys scrapping the owners, we decided to take off (at 4 in the morning) and find a place to sleep in our car. As we were trying to leave our room, NFLD police were in the process of taking statements and escorting these young boys from their rooms. The owner of the Captain's Quarters was not eager to refund our money (and in fact, did not). That said, I would never go back, I would never recommend this place to anyone. If there are no other rooms available in St. John's, I do recommend sleeping in your car in the Signal Hill parking lot.

• Stayed: July 2010, traveled as a couple