“Nice Stay”

Ranked #21 of 22 Hotels in St. John's
Newfoundland
“Nice Stay”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 26, 2014

My girlfriend and I stayed here recently. Room was nice and clean. The temperature of the shower was cool, but discovered I could get a warm one if I turned the hot water all the way up. We enjoyed the large air massage tub, but it appeared to be possessed and would turn on by itself (even when we weren't in it!). The plumbing fixture was fickle and you had to get it just right in order to stop the water from continuing to drip out. The fireplace was nice but was extremely noisy so we just turned it off. Overall we had a very pleasant stay, just a few small complaints but nothing big enough to ruin our night out.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled as a couple
MonasterySpa, Public Relations Manager at Monastery Spa & Suites, responded to this review, May 28, 2014
Hello,
We're happy to hear that your stay was nice overall, and we hope to see you back again soon. If you do have any issues in the future, please do not hesitate to contact the front desk and we will try our best to make your next stay even better!

Monastery Spa & Suites

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (33)
Prince Rupert, Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 3, 2014

For the past 2.5 years, my husband and I have returned to the Monastery Spa and Suites seven times and will continue to book here for bi-annual trips to St. John's NL. A cozy room suited with a king size bed, a lux corner soaker hot tub and an electric fireplace, we can relax and replenish. A large bathroom with Aveda products is a plus. Warm and welcoming staff who are ready to accommodate and make our stay comfortable are truly appreciated. Thank you everyone at Monastery Suites and Spa!

Room Tip: Go for the soaker tub for sure.
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled with family
1 Thank Claire V
MonasterySpa, Owner at Monastery Spa & Suites, responded to this review, April 14, 2014
Hi Claire,
We're happy to hear that you've been returning to our suites for so long, and we look forward to having you back again soon! With such a long trek from Prince Rupert, we're glad you've found us to relax once you arrive on the other coast.

Thanks again and safe travels,
Mount Pearl, Canada
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 3, 2014

Spa at the Monastery (Or Monastery Spa & Suites) is well known in St. John's and surrounding areas as being a beautiful spa and hotel, the absolute best place to go for the luxury treatment. I can't say I had that experience and unfortunately I won't be returning or recommending it to anyone else. I never write reviews and I'm certainly not picky but I felt like I had to in this case...

Planned a night out with my partner and we booked our room well in advance, our only request being a king size bed which we were told there wouldn't be a problem. We also had a couples massage and pedicure/facials booked as well.

Check in was prompt and friendly, no problems there. We got to our room and saw that we had two double beds, not the king size that we had requested. Not a huge deal but this being a romantic night away (and seeing how we booked well in advance) we asked to be moved to a room with a king size bed and were told that unfortunately they were booked up and they had given our room to someone else...ok. No big deal. We figured out later that they had someone call and request a king size bed after we had booked, and being full they didn't think we would mind two double beds, seeing how the names on the reservation were two females...sigh...but the guy at the front desk was super apologetic and even comped our room for the night, which was a sure sign of guilt but we took it.

After check in we made out way to the spa for our massage. A staff member handed us a bathrobe and a pair of flip flops each to change into. The robes were worn out, shrunken and discoloured. I didn't complain as I was so excited for our couples massage.

The massage was not great. I've had much much better. The thing that bothered me the most about it was that I could hear both therapists mouthing words to each other over the instrumental music. For about 2 mins straight. I felt uncomfortable enough being naked under a sheet with a stranger massaging me, but to know that these "professionals" were talking (about us, who's knows?) while we were getting our massages was just wrong. I couldn't relax after that.

My gf went for her facial and I went for my pedicure. The girl that did my pedi was nice enough, chatted away. She asked me about booking in for Christmas as it was a busy time...I found this kind of odd. I hadn't been in her chair 5 minutes and she was already wondering when I was coming back? Maybe she was just making conversation but I just found it weird and a bit pressuring. The pedicure was ok, again not the best I ever had but certainly the most expensive...oh and the polish came right off in the tub about an hour later. I was pissed.

The rest of the night went well. The beds were comfy and the room was clean, I guess that's the most important part. It's close to downtown which is another plus. I just know there are way better hotels than this (my choice is The Sheraton, fantastic all around). This place is def not worth the hype it gets. :(

Bottom Line: There are way better spas and hotels in St. John's that are cheaper and/or better! Most expensive massage and pedi I've had and the worst on both accounts. Smarten up guys!

• Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
3 Thank nowden28
SpaAtTheMonastery, General Manager at Monastery Spa & Suites, responded to this review, March 11, 2014
Hello,
On behalf of Monastery Spa and Suites, I would like to sincerely apologize for the frustration and inconvenience that your girlfriend and you experienced due to some of the procedures that you found pushy or aggressive, such as pre-booking. We never want our guests to be disappointed when they try to book during our more busy times, so we like to offer pre-booking as a service to help, not dissatisfy them. Although we do have very stringent procedures in place to ensure that all guests are pleased when they are with us, we seemed to have not attained that in your case.

In regard to your pedicure, our manicures and pedicures are not the average salon service. We choose our rituals for the best of our guests and we also provide the bottle of your chosen Spa Ritual colour for your personal use later. As well, the Spa Ritual line embraces a commitment to creating eco-friendly, human-safe nail products that are crafted from vegan ingredients, which are also free of formaldehyde, toluene, and DBP. This high standard, which ensures our guests receive only the best for their bodies and the environment, regrettably reflects in the price. The product line is also formulated for a quick drying time, however, I apologize that it wasn't explained to you that it is not a good idea to emerge your feet so fast after a pedicure. Depending on the number of coats needed, the colour and pigment of the colour that you had chosen, and the humidity level in the room you were staying in, your polish drying time would vary. Had we known of this issue before your check-out, we would have gladly offered to re-do your polish application.

Above all, we appreciate the honesty about your visit as this information gives us a chance to improve areas that may be lacking. With this in mind, we would like for you to contact us directly so that we can rectify all the issues that you have with our company and try to show how you could have an amazing experience with us; for that is what we aspire our guests to obtain while in our care, wonderful and relaxing experiences.

Michelle Heath

Tel: (709) 754-5800
Toll-Free: 1-800-NFLD SPA

Travelers are raving about these St. John's hotels

NL,Canada
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 29, 2014

Visited in Nov 2013....had been really looking forward as we don't get an evening out very often.
Didn't, turn out to be exactly the evening we had hoped. Checkin was smooth, however, issues with parking,lot is small and cramped, availed of a couple services in the spa and really enjoyed. Evening was going smooth until we returned from dinner, there was a large group on the property having a party. We were fine with that as assumed management was keeping an eye to ensure guests were not bothered. Long story short.....turned out to be an awful night, very little sleep and awoke to learn from other patrons while at breakfast there had been some sort of disturbance overnight that involved the police being I called. Apparently, they do not have security on site, patrolling the property etc and disturbances and break ins to vehicles a common occurrence. after this I had no wish to return however my parents gave us a night for Xmas, tried calling and switching the room to services at the spa however, they declined. Not wanting to waste willing to try again however, wanted to share my experience so others will be aware to be mindful.

Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank sungirlNL
Bay Bulls
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 13, 2014

Check in good
rooms are ok although with the mildew from the hot tubs in hotel rooms paint was peeling off our walls in bathroom and room
Staff seemed a little stressed out

we asked how to get to spa and they pointed to next building (they NEVER TOLD US we could walk inside to spa) and watched us walk outside in -20 temperatures - that pissed me off

on check in they never explained about breakfast in morning so we had no idea what was going on next am

We went to spa (hot tub, mineral pool and sauna)

hot tub was cold

sauna was cold not on when we arrived - had to get maintenance staff to turn on sauna and heat up -took 1 hour - if you plan on using sauna make sure you ask them to turn on 30 mins before you arrive

as we were sitting in hot tub - staff member approached and asked us to get out of hot tub because of issues with their pumps?

we got out of hot tub and they left the jets going for another hour as we sat in sauna (clearly we did not have to get out of hot tub and they could have waited until we were done)

You pay $250 plus for 1 x night it was a little frustrating for sure

wont be going back

• Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
1 Thank stevieAnfld
Gander NL
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 27, 2013

We're regulars at the Monastery Spa and Suites for a reason. The rooms are large and beautiful. Often we can get a hot tub in our room and the downtown location allows a walk to go shopping or to a great restaurant nearby. Cab fare is only about $8 from the club scene or when there's shopping to bring back.
In addition complimentary to the continental breakfast, a cooked breakfast has been added at a cost. We were jealous when the table next to us had one. Next time....
Sleep quality is great here.
The rooms are very quiet and this is one of our favorite boltholes. We like rushing in on a Friday so we can wake up there twice.

Room Tip: I prefer a room with a double hot tub.
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank LazydaysGanderNL
Calgary, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 15, 2013

After riding my bicycle 75 days across Canada this past Spring, I was in need of some serious downtime and relaxation. The Monastery Spa & Suites was just the thing for my tired body.

The General Manager, Michelle Mele was an absolute delight to talk to and did her utmost to ensure we had a remarkable stay. We spent 2 nights and 3 days and wished we could have stayed longer.

The room was immaculate, the whirlpool tub and gas fireplace in the main room created the most relaxing and romantic getaway. In fact, the room was so nice, we rarely left it. Apart from the warm and friendly and go-above-and-beyond staff (their night manager completely 'wowed' us with his desire to serve and get us whatever we needed - even bike tools), one of the greatest things about the Monastery was its location. We were two blocks from George Street and even with the Canada Day festivities going on into the wee hours of the morning, we had a sound sleep.

They have a lovely continental breakfast set up where you eat in their spa area. It has modern decor, white table accents, and even a cozy seating area for guests to curl up with a coffee, tea or hot chocolate, a fresh muffin or crisp apple, and a throw blanket (also provided) and of course, a gas fireplace. The only thing that would have made the breakfast experience better was if Michael Buble was singing in the corner with a 4-piece string quartet.

Parking was not an issue. The hallways were nice and wide for moving luggage. The cleaning staff were happy, jovial and friendly. The convenience of the bar fridge was a nice touch but more than anything, what stood out most for us, was the friendliness, warmth and make-you-feel-like-a-king & queen service of the staff.

Highest Recommendations for the Monastery. We hope to visit you again soon.

Room Tip: Just trust the staff, they'll take care of you.
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple