“and now they serve meals!”

Monastery Spa & Suites
Ranked #21 of 23 Hotels in St. John's
Reviewed July 23, 2013

Stayed two weekend nights a week apart to pick up and deliver my dad to the airport. Lovely rooms as always and the choice for the continental breakfast was varied. After a full week on the road, we were tired and decided to have supper in the cafe. The boys went with the Spa club sandwiches and soup. The soup was a huge bowl of potato and bacon chowder and they loved it! I had a delicious salad and flatbread, all done up fresh.
Out waitress was very efficient but seemed rushed. She was more friendly or personable at the end. She was not rude, she checked on us from the counter and I wonder if she was fast-food trained? She just needs to pause at the table a bit to make it feel more attentive. This is a constructive suggestion, I hope, because she worked non stop while we were there, made our meals and cleaned up the kitchen.
We returned to our comfortable rooms with full bellies and relaxed for not having tried to get into a busy downtown restaurant.
Great job on the cafe. I'm sure we'll avail of it on our next visit too.

Room Tip: If you aren't going to use the hot tub, leave those rooms for me!
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled with family

Reviewed July 16, 2013

Recently enjoyed a night out and a stay at the Spa. Room was immaculately clean, spacious, and cozy. The service during check-in and check- out was friendly and accommodating. Highly recommend to anyone and definitely see a return visit in the future.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed July 14, 2013

My husband and I stay at the Monestary Spa and Suites every year. We stayed there about a month ago and at checkout was shocked at the price increase for a one night stay...the room cost almost 300.00. I complained and said they should have informed us of the price increase when we booked, I mean who checks prices on a hotel that you stay in every year? You would assume the price is the same. Management apologized and said they would reimburse us to the price we normally pay...they have not reimbursed us yet...a month later. Now they are ignoring our emails. Plus the continental breakfast is just coffee and muffins, the rooms have not improved for the price you pay. The jacuzzis must be ten years old from the rust on them...however overall the rooms are lovely and the bed is comfortable. But customer service we have experienced is horrible. You would think they would take better care of customers that have been loyal for years.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Pkieley
Reviewed July 9, 2013

I truly enjoyed my stay at the Monastery. Great staff, fantastic rooms, and a nice short walk from downtown. This might be strange comment but one of the better irons I've used in a hotel. Unfortunately, I did not have the time to enjoy the spa but I can almost guarantee I will on my next visit.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled on business
Reviewed June 30, 2013

We stayed at the Monastery because it was close to family in SJ, and what a treat to stay there. The room was beautiful- newly redone, with a jacuzzi tub, flat screen tv, and nice furnishings and fixtures. Very comfortable beds, and very quiet. It was no problem for the hotel to supply us with a playpen for our infant to sleep in. The cleaning staff ladies were so kind to us- oohed over our baby, offered suggestions of things to do and even offered to babysit!

We didn't get a chance to go to the adjoining spa as we had family commitments, but from what we've heard, their service is excellent as well.

The hotel is in a great location- about a 10 minute walk to downtown, and about 15 minutes drive to the airport.

I would definitely stay here again!!

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed June 26, 2013

Stayed at the Monastery Spa & Suites earlier this month. Was a very hectic time for me, and the staff throughout were just amazing. Friendly, cordial and polite from the front desk, to the cleaning staff.
Room was large with plenty of space for my luggage.
Sleeping was no problem here!

I am over 6ft, so when travelling it is always nice to have a shower and bathroom that I can actually fit in comfortably!

I checked out late, which was not a problem, always nice to be able to take your time when you are leaving. Still I managed to forget my Iphone Charger.
I called later that day, and staff had it put aside for me, I returned and had it in 2 minutes.

Great location, quiet, secluded in a wonderful part of St. John's, close to anything you need.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled on business
Reviewed June 13, 2013

This is a nicely kept hotel just away from the noise of downtown. Rooms are large and tidy.The continental breakfast choices are fine. We stayed 3 nights . On the morning of our last night they were filming an episode of the Republic of Doyle TV show in the hotel parking lot.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple