“Very disappointed with the experience/facility.”
Review of Winterholme Spa

No photo provided
Got a photo?
Add it.
Winterholme Spa
Reviewed August 2, 2011

I was visiting from outside the province and booked a pedicure for myself and my mother. I had also booked a wax treatment for myself and was given this prior to the pedicure and my mother was brought in another room to start her pedicure while I was getting this done. I felt that my pedicure was very rushed as the staff person who was completing my pedicure tried to catch up with her co-worker so the pedicures would be completed at the same time although mine started at least 15 minutes later. One of my toes were smudged and this had to be pointed out to the technician. She attempted to fix it but only made it worse so had to redo the toe - she put my flip flops on prior to repairing the nail and left no time for the nail polish to dry. The end product was disappointing and I will now have to book another pedicure when I get home. I feel that I could have done a better job myself and that it was a waste of time and money. I also found the spa facilities to be very dingy and did not appear very clean - certainly not what I would describe as spa-like. I do not recommend the spa and on my next visit to St. John's will be patronizing another business.

Reviewed July 30, 2011

Stayed there with my wife but decided to cut short the stay. We just didn't feel welcomed.

1  Thank Squashfan
Reviewed April 6, 2011

My wife and I have visited several spas while we've been together, and when we moved to St. John's, the search began for a new one. After seeing the outside of Winterholme on our house hunting trip, my wife fell in love with the way it looked.. When we found out they had a spa, we decided we'd give it a try.
Our visit was supposed to be a Valentine's Day/Anniversary gift to each other, but we were in a small car accident the night before our appointment. When we arrived and mentioned the accident, they refused to do the massage since they aren't Registered Massage Therapists, and didn't want to do any damage (unfortunately they didn't tell us this until after we had disrobed and gotten on the massage tables). This was understandable, and they rescheduled us and made sure we kept the discount we had, even though the promotion would be over by the time our new appointment came around.
When we went back for our new appointment, everything went more smoothly, and they remembered who we were, which was nice. We had to wait a bit for the aestheticians to come get us, but no biggie, my wife took the chance to look around and play with the house dog, Duke.
What followed was the most dissapointing, superficial massage I have ever had. We had booked the 60 Minute Hot Stone Massage, which I had experienced once before at a different spa. I was expecting much the same type of experience, but, as I said, was quite dissapointed. I think that because the aestheticians aren't registered, they aren't allowed to do a proper massage, they really only run the stones along your body. I thought maybe I was just jaded because I've been receiving some very deep massage therapy for an injury, but my wife said the same thing about it being very light and superficial.
Next came the Expert Facial. I don't have anything to compare to, since this was my first facial, but it seemed quite nice. My only issue was that it was supposed to include a hand, arm and back massage, which didn't happen. I think this was probably because we had just received the hot stone massage, but I think that if you're going to 'merge' two treatments together, there should be some kind of discount. Also, about a day after the facial, I had an acne breakout on my face. I'm not sure if the two things were related or not, since I'm acne prone anyway, but the timing was rather unfortunate.
Finally, we recieved a Hot Stone Pedicure. This is listed as approx 1hr 15mins. I think ours lasted close to 45 mins. Again, I have nothing to compare to, but other than the time discrepancy, I quite enjoyed it. Again, the 'massage' part of it was very superficial and lackluster, but overall, not a bad experience, and my wife loves the nail art they did for her.
The one thing that 'saved' our experience was the customer service. Both of the aestheticians were amazingly friendly before, during and after the treatments. Because of the aestheticians, my wife is might be willing to go back for a pedicure or manicure, but we won't be back for anything else.

1  Thank Zife
Reviewed September 11, 2010

My husband and I had been to this particular spa a couple of years ago for our anniversary, and received side-by-side massages. Besides having to wait about 20 minutes past our appointment time, the massages where pretty good, so we decided to book another pair for our upcoming anniversary.

We booked these massages about two months in advance, and were looking forward to them (we just had a baby in June, and had arranged a baby sitter for the day, so we were very excited). Everything was fine until we were called TWO DAYS before our appointment and informed that it would have to be rescheduled to THREE WEEKS later because one of their workers quit.

My husband and I were a bit upset because it was extremely short notice, and as I mentioned, we had a very small child who already had child care arranged for for that particular date. The person we were talking to on the phone was rude and completely unsympathetic. All they said was "That's all we can do" . They didn't offer us a discount, they barely even apologized.

So we left scrambling to find another place that we could get our massages with very short notice. We did happen to get in with a location that had a cancellation, but I found the business completely unprofessional in handling this situation. Yes, things happen. Sometimes employees quit with very little notice, but how you handle it, makes a huge difference in how your potential customers feel about it.

Personally, I'll never go back there. There are plently of other spas in this city. (We went to "Sound" on waterstreet, and they were lovely)

See more reviews
Reviewed July 5, 2009

what should have been a relaxing day at the spa,turned into a day of frustration.massage people are not registered,massage table looked like sheets had been used.when going from massage room to get our pedicures no robes were offered we had to ask their reply was will see if we have any.we had to remind staff champagne was ordered they served it in wine glasses they had no champagne glasses they cut one of our feet while doing the pedicure no apology before applying the polish we were given our cloths and told to get dressed we called ahead to make sure we could get showers when we informed the staff they got really upset said they have to lock the spa before they can go home. we asked to speak to the owner he was very rude after 20 minutes of bickering we were given a room to shower and polished our own toes .when i told the owner it was unfair we paid for a service we had to finish ourselves their reply was well you had your showers.

4  Thank sadail