“To the husband and wife that had such a bad experience”

The Franklin Hotel LTD
Ranked #22 of 25 St. John's B&B and Inns
Reviewed September 3, 2010

I am a friend of some of the staff at the Franklin hotel. I was at the bar having a chat with a friend, the night that the newly-weds had such a bad experience with the owner. I remember seeing a man in a tuxedo talking to the owner and looking very pissed off. But the part that i dont remeber seeing was the owner yelling and pointing his finger in the grooms face, as he said happend to him. I do remember the groom yelling and screaming at the owner as he left saying some very innapropriate things. Now.. thats fair enough i guess.. it was his wedding night after all.. and i can understand his frustration. But the part of the night that got really innapropriate was when the grooms father, (the man who "payed" for the room) came into the hotel maybe a half hour after his son stormed off in a hissy fit. The grooms father,(who was extremely intoxicated) stormed into the front doors yelling and screaming, demanding to speak to the owner. He had another fellow with him, a goonish man, who looked like he was there strictly for back-up. The father then proceeded to yell and scream at guests and patrons alike. The owner tried to calm the grooms father down. that was impossible. After a few moments of trying to calm the out of control father down just a little bit, the owner just decided there was no point. It was at this time that the grooms father slammend his fist down on a table, that 3 people were sitting at, and knocked over full wine and beer glasses all over the table and floor, subsequently breaking some of the glasses. So basically i am writing this so that anyone who reads the comments about the newly-weds.. just know that they weren't as classy and respectful as they would like u to think. They were anything but.

• Stayed: September 2010, traveled solo
3  Thank thekid16

Reviewed August 31, 2010

I was excited to stay at the Franklin despite some poor reviews here. The location seemed perfect and the look was great. I booked online and when I arrived John promptly began to argue and frighten myself and my young daughter. Having worked in the service industry, I was just flummoxed at the style of handling a perceived problem. We eventually solved the problem after a lot of threats and paternalistic behaviour but it left a bad taste in my mouth. Especially as he changed the rate unilaterally and I have not to this day received a receipt. It's a wonderful location, well-designed and very clean so I wish it had been more fun to stay there. I saw other patrons experiencing the same worrisome welcome in my days there. I would love to recommend this hotel to others but even upon leaving, John's assistance with my luggage to the taxi was non-existent. After spending $1000 on a rather long stay, I find this kind of treatment kind of disgusting. John enjoys being an owner and a boss but not extending true customer service and comfort to the customer. Moodiness has no place in the fine hotel business. I would accept this at a cheaper hotel but the price is right up there with more helpful chains. Too bad. I really wanted to enjoy it. As well, the room lacked a fridge.

• Stayed: August 2010, traveled with family
2  Thank Erinsons
Reviewed August 5, 2010

So i got married, big enough deal right? My partner and I knew that it was time to make everything official, neither of us had many nerves about getting hitched so it was a relatively stress free event.
Unfortunately we then had the experience of the Franklin Hotel on Water Street. Being back home and staying with family, my father decided to book us a room for our wedding night, He noticed the Franklin Hotel because of its proximity to George Street. The day of the wedding he went to the hotel to drop our bags off and check in. At the BBQ he gave me the key and told me to have a good time.
We decided to call the night a little early around midnight. We walked down to the hotel and walked up to the third floor where our room was. Upon walking into the room this is what we found. There were no lights on to welcome us, no big deal I agree but when the lights were flicked on we were astounded to what we saw; the bed had been slept on, the duvet and the pillows were all messed up. Not only that but our shower had been recently used as the floor of it was still wet and had a large number of hairs lining the tub. To top things off our bag wasn't even there. We went down to the bar (there is no front desk) and inquired to the status of our belongings to which the bartender told us that it was being kept in another closet up stairs. He said that he would bring it along. We returned to the room and waited. Now my partner and i have been criticized in the past for not standing up for ourselves in particular situations, it's not that we don't care it’s just that we can't really be bothered most of the time. This however was our wedding night so i felt compelled to let the Hotel know of our dis-satisfaction of how the room looked. When the bartender knocked on the door to drop our bags he started to tell me that the room wasn't paid for and started to request my credit card info. I told him to come in and have a look at the room. I explained that the room had been looked after earlier in the day and the fact that they had our bags and our key opened the door should be proof of that. He let us know that he was only a bartender making $10 an hour and that he would send up the owner to talk with us.
So we waited... and waited...
After a half hour of sitting we decided that we would try to go find him. We went back down to the bar and talked to the same bartender. He told us that the owner was over by the window and pointed him out. This is where the night got really interesting; The man stumbled up from the table (clearly he was very inebriated) and 'walked' over to the bar area. Before i could say anything this man put his finger about an inch from my face and began to shout at me that the room that i was 'displeased' with was one of the best in the city. He then began to shout that the room wasn't even paid for and that i should have no right to complain. I explained the situation that the room had been looked after earlier in the day and that it wasn't even the payment that was the issue, he had no part of that. He began to scream at me and my new wife to the point that honestly i thought he was going to hit me. He told us that there was no way that we were already checked in (despite there having our bag and us having a working keycard). I placed the keycard on the bar and told him to have a nice night (substituting a word here or there).
Now I’m not saying that this hotel is not nice. It has all the potential in the world. What i am trying to say is that there are some people in the world that deserve to be taken back a step. Our room was used after it had been assigned to us. It was clear as day. The owner of this place was drunk to the point of stagger and slur and i really hope you think twice before staging here. And if you do stay here and need to talk to the owner, there is a good chance that you will find him down at the bar swaying as if he is on a boat. Watch your shoes, there has to be a capacity to which this man is nearing.

• Stayed: July 2010, traveled as a couple
8  Thank Bradabbott
Reviewed July 25, 2010

We stayed here for six nights. John let us in very early the first day as our plane arrived early in the morning and the room was empty. He also helped pack our luggage up 2 flights of stairs as there is no elevator. While the shower is beautiful, there is no bath tub. John purchased a couple of small fridges for two of the rooms while we were there (ours, room 305, and one other). Our room has a small patio which was nice in the evening, although it overlooks the back alley and a parking garage. The room itself, the bar and restaurant are all good. Overall we enjoyed the place, although thought it a bit pricey.

• Stayed: July 2010, traveled on business
Reviewed January 28, 2010

This hotel is one of the best things to happen to St. John's in years. Finally, a cool boutique hotel attached to a great restaurant and bar in a downtown setting. This hotel has everything that is great about modern Newfoundland without the cliches and kitsch. The restaurant and bar are very high-end and full of young local professionals. There is a friendly, easy-going staff you can chat with over a drink and the hotel has modern, huge rooms with great amenities and gorgeous bathrooms. It is in a great location on revitalized Water Street, a block from the harbour, close but not too close to the George St. bars and next door to great shopping (like Byron's menswear boutique). This ten room hotel epitomizes the best of the urban chic hotel. The only drawback is there is no on-site parking, or a drop off space in the front, so you're best off if arriving by taxi or if you know your way around the downtown already. But you can make up for this by the entertainment factor of listening to the owner (an expat Englishman who made his money in the Newfoundland oil industry) explain how hard it is to do business with the small-minded city government. This is one of the most fun places I've ever stayed and I had the best time I've had on a trip to Newfoundland. I recommend it to anyone.

• Stayed: December 2009, traveled solo
Reviewed December 20, 2009

This hotel is ideally located in the heart of downtown St. John's. It is very close to George Street, restaurants, the water front and banks.
I found this place online and wasn't too sure about since it was such a great rate and there were not many reviews.
I was originally scheduled for 4 nights but I missed my plane. So, when I called the hotel, I was happily surprised that they were okay with cancelling the one night without any penalties even on a very short notice.
During my 3 night stay, I found the staff was very friendly and helpful. Nice bar and restaurant (It is also the lobby) on the main floor.
The room I stayed in, was on the 3rd floor, and I must say, I was very impressed.
The room is huge by any standards with a gorgeous king size bed, large screen Plasma/LCD TV on the wall and a nice sitting couch. The floors were carpeted and very clean.
The drapes were definitely luxurious looking and just made the room that much nicer.
I like the complimentary qty2 bottles of water since I am not a coffee person.
The bathroom was amazing. Bright, huge size, double vanity, incredibly large shower with the ultra modern luxury feel to it. The bathroom was immaculate and towels were changed daily.
I travel to St. John's every 3 months and I have to say, this will be my first choice from now on. I highly recommend this boutique hotel to anyone that is a business traveller that needs to be near the downtown core.

A Very Happy Business Customer

Ho Tom
President
PC Medic Inc.

• Stayed: December 2009, traveled on business
Reviewed December 16, 2009

I just spent 3 days in St. John's while my husband was in the city for business and had a wonderful experience at The Franklin. The rooms are beautiful, as are the lounge and restaurant. I had the best steak of my life at The Duck on Water and the service was absolutly amazing! I don't usually travel with my husband while he's on business but next time he goes to St. John's I will most definitly be joining him just to stay at this hotel for another memorable experience!!!

Stayed: December 2009, traveled as a couple