“Great Lunch with Odd Service”
Review of Hungry Heart Cafe

Hungry Heart Cafe
Ranked #22 of 386 Restaurants in St. John's
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Neighborhood: Downtown
Reviewed August 2, 2014

We too enjoyed the food as a previous reviewer had surmised. I had Eggs Benedict which was done nicely. My guests also enjoyed their food. However the service at times was odd and that did detract from the experience. My wife wondered whether they supported individuals in the community with employment problems. It would not deter me from going again, however i this particular server did dampen the experience.

Reviewed July 31, 2014

We all had the special of the day which was a brisket that they had smoked themselves in the parking lot. It was served hot on a cornbread with sauce and a salad. It was not traditional but was very good. Others in our party did not want the cornbread and were able to substitute other types of bread. Service was slow and paying separate bills for 8 of us was quite painful. Parking is limited and we were over the 2 hours limit on our meter but that we were concerned did not seem to hurry up our waiter.

We had a reservation and our table was ready when we arrived.

Reviewed July 30, 2014

I should first note that this a beautifully laid out restaurant. It has an appropriate number of tables, the decor is bright and welcoming, and the staff are dressed professionally. We had come to this establishment to accommodate another in our party who was celiac. Upon arrival into the restaurant we we were greeted by a gentleman who then proceeded to slowly set up our table. He did not seem happy to arrange our seating of six, nor did he do so efficiently as we waited about 6-7 minutes to be seated. Our service was incredibly slow from start to finish. I was very hungry when I entered and was looking forward to selecting a few items to try from the menu. We asked our server what the specials were, and yet again, he seemed to lack any enthusiasm and service skills. This attitude resulted in me only selecting one item. Our server had bypassed our table to take the order of another table who had arrived about 15 minutes after us. When our food did arrive, it was good, however, not as extraordinary as our two friends has lead us to believe. My eggs benedict, which is my breakfast food of choice had beautiful presentation, but did not have the same flavour I am accustomed. Our server was quite unmotivated and we often had to call out to him if we needed drink refills.
I understand the practice of this establishment and applaud their service in the community. That said, as a waitress for almost 7 years in several different restaurants, I am a avid believer in the importance of the customer service experience. I can guarantee that my experience in the restaurant is 20 percent food, 80 percent customer service.
Two in our group had boasted of this restaurant and were incredibly disappointed about the service we had received. They had assured us that this had never occurred. I will take their word for it, as I don't plan on going again.

Reviewed July 29, 2014

Let me start by saying that I realize this is a charitable restaurant and I applaud the program they have in place. That being said, I went to the Hungry Heart Cafe because they are able to accommodate a gluten allergy of someone I went with. We went on a Saturday afternoon for brunch. Only the very limited brunch menu is served on saturday mornings/ afternoons. I got the breakfast on a bun (BOB), which was pretty good, but very small. I was starving by the time the food got there, which is probably why I thought it was so small. My friends got the eggs benedict, which they described as decent. The egg was poached in a mould, the ham was thick cut, and it was served on top of a hashbrown patty.

So then let me continue about the service.... I know this restaurant hires employees who may have been unable to keep a job in the past for whatever reason, so I prepared myself for bad service. I guess I didn't prepare enough. We were a group of 6 so they had to set up tables for us. This took quite a while and we were left waiting in the porch without any: "It will be just a minute". The server spoke very quietly, didn't tell us the daily special without being asked, was extremely sarcastic, never refilled water and coffee, didn't acknowledge our requests, and never came back to the table without being waved down. I have never ever had worse service. The entire experience was bad. Because I was still hungry when I left I grabbed a brownie to go; it was mediocre. I must admit that I was greatly disappointed, as were the rest of my friends. In total we were there for close to 2 hours.

I will leave you with a positive note: the restaurant is very small, but didn't seem too crammed. There were fresh flowers on the tables. The tables were set in cloth tablecloth and cloth napkins.

Reviewed July 28, 2014

On my third visit to this fine restaurant, I treated my niece to lunch. The food was great and the service attentive. I had the quesadilla which was very tasty, and my nice was pleased with her turkey avocado club. Both came with a delightful side salad. The desserts looked appealing, but no room. I have always been impressed when I have eaten here. An added bonus is super clean washrooms.