“If presentation was everything!”
Review of Hungry Heart Cafe

Hungry Heart Cafe
Ranked #22 of 388 Restaurants in St. John's
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Neighborhood: Downtown
Reviewed August 3, 2013

The way food is presented was impressive and of course the ethics of this cafe cannot be faulted. However a few changes would make it comparable to the best anywhere not just the best of a mediocre bunch in St. John's. First and foremost it was under seasoned, and both the starter and mains was overly complex and lacked balance. The dauphinoise potatoes were covered in some type of honey sauce making them disgustingly sweet and ill twinned with the delicate halibut they were served with.

Perhaps now that its serving evening meals it needs to change the ambiance to reflect this.

Reviewed August 2, 2013

My husband and I happened upon the Hungry Heart Cafe while visiting St. John's and had the best meal of our vacation. I had a delicious seafood dish and he had the lamb. The portion and quality of food was fantastic, especially compared to other restaurants we visited with comparable menus.
The staff were very friendly, professional and efficient. They made our evening out a memorable one, and were very helpful with suggesting a wine.
On our next visit to Newfoundland Hungry Heart Cafe is at the top of the list!

Reviewed July 27, 2013

On our first visit to this place we were mostly disappointed. It's expensive($100 for 2). The dishes are overly complicated and fail to respect the ingredients, the fish is undercooked, and the chicken is dry and excessively salty. The dessert was pretty nice. The bill is not itemized. Service was very professional. No atmosphere.

1  Thank klimazz
Reviewed July 16, 2013

We had to catch a flight out mid evening to end our vacation. So, we decided on an early dinner.
We had walked by the Hungry Heart a few times and it always looked clean and attractive. We got there at 5pm just as they opened. We were greeted in a friendly manner and chose a window table to watch the rush hour traffic go by. The service was prompt and the food was excellent. Both in portion and quality. Their evening menu changes frequently but the lunch menu is more constant I think.
I'd certainly go back to the Hungry Heart Cafe again. Especially because they help out members of society who are having difficult times.

Reviewed July 15, 2013

My husband and I were walking and happened upon the Hungry Heart Café on a Friday evening, our last night in St. John's. The café had just started serving dinner some evenings, and we were fortunate to be able to get a table. We had an excellent meal: the server relayed my food allergies to the kitchen, and my meal was adapted. It seemed that many of the customers were regulars and had made reservations. We recommend this restaurant, and it was a lovely way to finish our Newfoundland holiday.