“Location, location, location!”
Review of Duckworth Hotel

Duckworth Hotel
Ranked #20 of 25 St. John's B&B and Inns
Reviewed May 24, 2013

Stayed here recently for business and the location can't be beat. This hotel is centrally located on Duckworth Street backing onto Water Street. The free continental breakfast was very enjoyable and quite a selection. The housekeepers were friendly and helpful. The room we stayed in was on the third floor which is accessed by stairs. Our room was very well appointed and the bed was very luxurious. We enjoyed stopping into the bar located in the basement called "Magnum &Steins" for some evening cocktails and the bar menu. Another night we sat in the main dining room and enjoyed freshly caught halibut which had been delivered that day. Overall a very enjoyable experience.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank Fairness101
Bernie F, Owner at Duckworth Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded June 27, 2013

Thank you so much for your review. We appreciate your feedback. We hope you will stay with us again.

There are newer reviews for Duckworth Hotel

Reviewed April 21, 2013

We had the fantastic opportunity to see the Leonard Cohen concert last night (April 20). We decided to stay at the Duckworth Hotel after being referred by a friend. We were not disappointed. The rooms are very clean and well appointed offering many amenities such as mini fridge, coffee maker, free wireless Internet and the onsite restaurant & bar (Magnum & Steins) makes it a very comfortable and convenient stay. Anything we needed only required us to pick up the in room phone and request it. The Duckworth Hotel is located only 5 minutes walk from Mile One and the convention centre. We walked everywhere we wanted to go downtown within 10-15 mins. No taxi required. The rate was exceptionally reasonable at $89/night plus taxes. This, I understand, is their off season rate. Peak season rates run from $104-$154 which are still very reasonable given the amenities, on site restaurant and bar convenience and every other accommodation in downtown St. John's start off at much higher than this hotel. We enjoyed items from the bar menu before heading to the concert. It was all delicious. After the concert we headed to George Street to enjoy some night life without having to worry about a taxi (5 min walk from George Street to hotel). We used the convenience of booking online that this hotel offers. The staff we great and very helpful. A MUST stay.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled with friends
Bernie F, Owner at Duckworth Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded May 2, 2013

Thank you very much for the positive feedback. We hope to see you again,

Reviewed April 21, 2013

We stayed at the Duckworth during our visit to St. John's in September. We were on a cross-Canada road trip and wanted a 'break' from camping. We stayed in a third floor room - which had been very tastefully renovated. Unfortunately, however, the room was very hot and stuffy - even with the fans, so we were not able to fully enjoy it. Breakfast the next morning was not the freshly-prepared baking we had expected - somewhat disappointing. We appreciate that there are some outside factors (like the early morning construction noise) over which the owners have little control. However, some internal changes, such as a more personal check-in, a fresh and inviting continental breakfast and air conditioning for rooms on the upper floors, would go a great way to improve guests' experience.

Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple

Thank you very much for your input. We have heard the suggestions on the breakfast. We are currently working on that area for the upcoming busy season.

Reviewed February 24, 2013

Hello every one,
My flight was cancelled and the waiter at Magnum Steins sold me on the "boutique hotel" concept. So, when my plane got cancelled i immediately thought about this. Well first telephone experience... Wasn't great. I don't know if it was the waitress or an employee,,, anyway we were able to make. When i arrived the room was ready. The room was ready... I requested the king master with private bath,,, got a queen size bed with private bath. The flat screen tv is only 20 inches and located at the other end of the room... Not impress.
The bed needs a new mattress. The service is non existent. They should really not sell ts "Boutique" like experience. Now the breakfast... I knew it was a B&B ste... 2 bagels no bread, apple and orange juices, a fruit salad built on the lat local grocery store flyer...some milk nd some coffee.
Vey not attractive.
Ok, its close to downtown core, well located, well known place... Dont go. I"ve been. To b& b.. They r way better.

Stayed: February 2013, traveled on business
Bernie F, Owner at Duckworth Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded March 3, 2013

Thank you for your feedback. Sorry to hear you did not get the room you reserved. It was definitely a mistake on our part. We know who checked you in and she made a mistake by putting your name on the wrong room in the reservation system. She apologizes. With regards to breakfast there should have been a selection of juices, milk, coffee cream, fresh fruit, bagels, croissants, muffins, whole wheat & white bread, peanut butter and a selection of jams, yogurt, sliced meats and cheese. We will be sure to investigate your comments on the lack of items for your breakfast. With regards to lack of service, you should have been able to reach someone by pressing zero on your room phone. Again, this is something we will be looking into. I will also be sending you a personal email response.

Reviewed January 6, 2013

I stayed at the Duckworth twice during my visit to St John's this summer. The first stay was during the week. The room was very clean and comfortable and the hosts were very welcoming. I left for a couple of days and returned to the Duckworth on a Friday night. This room was facing the alley, and I must say, I barely got a wink of sleep due to the extremely loud music coming from the nightclub down the alley. I usually sleep well, and am not one to complain about noise, but this was just too much. This was really disappointing considering all the other excellant attributes to this B and B. I would stay here again on a week night but not on the weekend.

Room Tip: Maybe a room facing the front street would be quieter.
  • Stayed: July 2012, traveled solo
1  Thank Taradog66

Thank you for your feedback. We do inform people on their booking confirmations of many items to help them make their stay enjoyable. One of the items includes that we are a downtown B&B and to expect downtown noises. We also state we are surrounded by bars, restaurants, shops and nightlife. Many guests enjoy this convenience of location. We have also checked with the city to make sure that the bars are staying within their opening and closing times. We try our best to ensure that guests are informed about our location and everything that surrounds it.

Reviewed November 25, 2012

I booked a room months in advance only to find out that my room was changed when I arrived despite the email confirmation days before. I was moved into a room on the third floor, in the attic. It was much smaller and without a fireplace. There is no one around to greet you or to pay during your stay so I could not pay with cash I had arranged over the phone.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled with friends

Thank you for your post. When booking a room it states in our confirmation that we cannot guarantee specific rooms but will do our best to accommodate you. We have 8 rooms that are queen beds with ensuites at the same rate. We put you in a room of same quality and price point due to a stogged toilet in the original room you booked. Unfortunately we cannot foresee any maintenance issues and have to deal with them as they happen which sometimes means switching rooms around to accommodate you. It also states in our email confirmation that is sent out to all guests as soon as they book along with the envelope of information you receive upon check in that if you require assistance to press zero on your room phone and we will assist you. We are a small operation (10 rooms) and therefore requires only one employee. This employee is there to clean rooms and do laundry in addition to dealing with guests therefore he or she may be in other parts of the building but can be easily reached by pressing zero on your room phone. We try to keep our overhead costs down so that we can pass along the value of our rooms to our customers. Our goal is to provide clean, comfortable rooms at a very reasonable price in the most centrally located of any downtown accommodations in downtown St. John's. Thanks again for your response.

Reviewed November 9, 2012

@ $89 per night I knew it wouldn't be 4 star. I am writing this after my first night's stay and one to go. The room was close to clean (hardwood floors...better than old carpet any day). I was able to find a parking spot out front. Came to the front door, punched in the magic code and I was in! You are then greeted to a list of who is sleeping in what room. You find your room and your key is in an envelope taped to your door. All good. The room smelled a bit off. It is an old building and all the exhaust from the resturant fills the hallways and the guest rooms. I probably smell like a steak right now. Not my preference as I am vegetarian. Yuk. Again...$89 a night. The breakfast on the site boasts a breakfast with pastries prepared daily...not true. I found 2 begals wrapped in plastic and one croissant. I would bet money they were store bought. The "fresh fruit" consisted of a small bowl of "past it's due date" fruit. My first night I was awake until 4am. This is when the music nearby is turned off. It is an old building and again...@ $89 per night. I wouldn't stay here again...but if all I could afford was $89 I would return with ear plugs, prepared to pay for breakfast elsewhere and would keep my clothes sealed so I didn't smell like a steak. The lesson here is you get what you pay for and why would I assume anymore??? ...I was hoping that I lucked out as I spend every three weeks in St. John's and wanted to expeience something other than a boring hotel.

• Stayed: November 2012

Thank you for feedback. I apologize for the lack of variety for your breakfast. Breakfast is to consist of fresh fruit, yogurt, 2-3 cereals, bagels, croissants, muffins, whole wheat and white bread, sliced meats, cheese, coffee, tea and selection of juices. The housekeeper on duty that day is no longer with us. In our email confirmation that is sent to every guest we state we are a downtown property surrounded by restaurants, bars and shops so please expect downtown noise. We try our best to let our guests know that our location is perfect for anyone wishing to enjoy downtown St. John's and all it has to offer. Our rate of $89 is a very reasonable rate for the off season especially given our location. Our property has been completely renovated within the past year and boasts an on site award winning restaurant and lounge. Our B&B rooms are all well appointed, new and decorated beautifully that come equipped with comfortable beds, highest quality linens, HD TVs, telephones, alarm clocks, free wireless Internet, mini fridges, irons, ironing boards, etc. We are a small business supplying a good quality product for our rates. If you decide to stay with us again, please send an email to duckworthhotel@gmail.com.