“Great drinks, food not so much”
Review of Loose Tie

Loose Tie
Reserve a Table
Fri, 5/24
8:00 PM
Ranked #86 of 452 Restaurants in St. John's
Reviewed March 9, 2019 via mobile

Loose tie has a nice relaxed atmosphere and friendly staff. Great drinks. The food, however, was underwhelming. While the frites were excellent, the crab pasta I ordered wasn’t fresh and tasted “fishy”, and my friends were also disappointed with the cod tacos and arancini. I’d recommend the place for an after work drink, but not for the food.

Date of visit: March 2019

Reviewed March 8, 2019

The bar is small enough to have a business function (i.e. Christmas party, product launch, etc.) which I have attended in the past and felt good about. They are pretty good for hot/cold finger foods. It's decor has been upgraded in the past few years, as it has finally lost its identity as Green Sleeves Too or the Robins Nest. Good change, but not a place for dinner/drinks with friends, in my opinion.

Date of visit: December 2018
Reviewed September 18, 2018 via mobile

To begin with, they share a kitchen with the pub downstairs, Greensleeves. So, although the restaurant wasn’t busy, we still had to wait a long time for our meals because the kitchen was backed up with Greensleeves’ orders - which took priority. Oddly, we also had to wait a long time for drinks. Our server was friendly, but inexperienced. For example, she randomly brought out appetizers as opposed to bringing them all out at the same time. Also, we ordered steaks and had to request steak knifes. She also did not bring fresh wine glasses when we ordered a bottle of wine. As well, there was an incident in the women’s washroom so we had to use the facilities downstairs at Greensleeves. To top off the evening, when we finished our meal we were going to go to Greensleeves to listen to the live band. However, the rather rude doorman refused to let us in without paying cover. At this point, we had spent $500+ and admission to the pub should not have been an issue. Poor customer service. I would not recommend this place.

Date of visit: September 2018
Reviewed May 7, 2018

Visited here recently for a few drinks and apps with friends. The place isn't very big but the atmosphere is very nice. Our waitress was very friendly and had great cocktail recommendations. (The Europa Sensation was delicious). There aren't a whole lot of entrees to choose from, as the menu is geared towards their small plates. The tuna tartar was my favorite, but I wasn't "wowed" by any of the other items. Prices are pretty standard for downtown St. John's, and the restaurant is in a super convenient location if you're looking to visit the bars/pubs on George Street afterwards.

Date of visit: April 2018
Reviewed March 11, 2018

Been there twice and both times were excellent. The food was delicious. Had some small plates and they were enough for me. The tuna tartare is excellent. Others raved about the pasta. The servers were all very friendly and professional. Prices were reasonable. There's a great private room. Very happy with our experiences here.

Date of visit: March 2018