“A Delicious Taste of Traditional Newfoundland” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Bacalao - Nouvelle Newfoundland Cuisine

Bacalao - Nouvelle Newfoundland Cuisine
Ranked #24 of 371 Restaurants in St. John's
Cuisines: Seafood, Canadian
Good for: Large groups, Special occasions, Local cuisine, Business meetings, Romantic
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Brunch, Late Night, Full Bar, Parking Available, Private Dining, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff
Neighborhood: Downtown
Description: Newfoundland Seafood Risotto - sweet local coldwater shrimp, succulent bay scallops, local mussels and lobster. Finished with lobster oil and asparagus!
Calgary, Canada
“A Delicious Taste of Traditional Newfoundland”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 6, 2014

Recently in Newfoundland for my uncle's 90th birthday, my cousins decided to treat me to some traditional dishes at what my cousin considers the best place to do so in St. John's. He was right! Bacalao was a wonderful choice of restaurants.The food was delicious, offering a wide selection of traditional Newfoundland fare. We went for lunch and had no problem getting a reservation the night before. The decor is gorgeous...with intimate rooms and tables, complete with fireplaces and Newfoundland artwork. All very warm and welcoming, as was the excellent reception and service. My uncle had his favourite; Cod Tongues, which he said was the best he'd had in a very long time (and he IS 90!). I had Fisherman's Brewis, a very traditional dish in this province. It was out of this world if you are a lover of fish. Back in western Canada now, I am still dreaming of it! Everyone enjoyed their meals, even my cousin's wife who chose a non fish delicacy. The portions were perfect and the presentation beautiful. I took left overs home in a special Bacalao bag. Interesting notables - the sides of the bar were decorated with an old ceiling made of pressed tin. Above the bar was a clever sign which I will include as a picture. Bacalao is DEFINITELY worth a visit on your trip to Newfoundland. You must savour the food that is part of Newfoundland's heritage.

1 Thank bigglewump

St. John's, Canada
“You'll want to come back!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 5, 2014

Excellent Newfoundland food with a twist. Very accommodating to special menu requests. The little complimentary appetizer is always interesting. One of my favourite places to eat even though I am from here.

1 Thank NewfieR
Richmond Hill
“Very good (with some flaws), but deserves #4 in St. John's”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 1, 2014

Made my reservations months ago and the place was quite busy on Saturday night!

The reception was very courteous and we were shown our table in one of the dining rooms, in the corner. My seat was next to the air conditioning (window type) that was dripping condensation right on the floor, but strangely I was dripping as well (with sweat) even that I was sitting right next to it.

The server was equally warm and we were introduced to the specials of the day - a seafood version and a game version. I originally wanted to have their Portuguese-influenced dishes, but overheard the next table that the bacalao and pork belly was quite salty, and it was easy to pick then - one seafood and one game.

The food did not disappoint as everything was made with care, and the duck and moose were especially done well. The salmon dish was quite good as well although part of the skin was burned (I did not really notice in the beginning because of the dark environment).

The experience was enjoyable but it was hard for me to find this place unmissable. Still, a good non-mainstream choice, but there might be other ones that you will find more suitable.

• 3 of 5 bubbles
2 Thank MARK L
Seattle, Washington
“I wanted to love it”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 29, 2014

I wanted to love Bacalao, but my food was just good. I will take part the blame, as I went on a weekend for lunch, and found all they were serving was Brunch. I'm not a huge fan. At 2pm I don't want eggs. I ordered the seafood chowder, which was outstanding. For my main I decided to try the local delicacy Cod tongues. Not to my taste. At all. It was prepared quite well, and the potatoes and everything else on the plate was good. Service was very attentive and the experience overall was good. Next time I'll try it out for dinner.

Visited July 2014
North Fork, California
“Wonderful Meal in St. John's”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 26, 2014 via mobile

I took my wife and two dear friends out for dinner here at the end of our first full day in St. John's and we had a wonderful meal. The service was courteous, prompt and attentive and the food was excellent. This meal was important to me as it was my way if thanking the three of them for their amazing love and support as I recovered from a serious illness earlier this year. Bacalao made this special meal truly lovely.

We started with salmon with guacamole and crostini and then shared cod tongues and cake. My wife thoroughly enjoyed her duck breast and moose bourguignon and our friend praised the halibut over bean cassolette with parsnip and finished with red wine sauce. His wife and I both had an amazing butter poached Newfoundland lobster with garlic mashed potatoes, sweet potato purée and braised leeks finished with coconut lobster bisque.

We enjoyed our meals with a 2012 Meiomi Pinot Noir from the very good wine list and finished the meal with Honey Brown Ginger Cake and Rodriguez Winery Cloudberry wine. It was a memorable meal on a memorable evening and I would highly recommend Bacalao if you are visiting St. John's

2 Thank Jimm0