“Newfoundland Cusine for the modern Era”

Bacalao - Nouvelle Newfoundland Cuisine
Ranked #33 of 381 Restaurants in St. John's
Cuisines: Canadian
Good for: Romantic, Business meetings, Local cuisine, Large groups, Special occasions
Dining options: Late Night, Dinner, Lunch, Breakfast, Reservations
Neighborhood: Downtown
Description: Newfoundland Seafood Risotto - sweet local coldwater shrimp, succulent bay scallops, local mussels and lobster. Finished with lobster oil and asparagus!
Reviewed July 25, 2014

Overall our experience was excellent.
The service was warm and personable.
The menu is modern and fresh take on newfoundland cuisine.
The food was very well prepared and very tasty.
The best meal and dining experience of my week at the hotel.

Definitely worth the uber cardio walk up the hill from downtown.

There are newer reviews for Bacalao - Nouvelle Newfoundland Cuisine

Reviewed July 25, 2014

We'd had a nice time eating local specialties in Newfoundland, so we dropped in here to finish with something a bit fancy. It was delicious! We had the game and seafood specials of the night: a moose stew and fresh caught salmon. I had no idea moose was so delicious, and the salmon was some of the best we ever had. Dessert was scrumptious too, one of the best local specialty meals we've had anywhere.

1  Thank Canada-Oz
Reviewed July 24, 2014

This place was unbelievable. Right from the cabbage roll, cod, ginger cake to the birch sap after dinner wine. What a find. The service was outstanding. Loved loved this place !!!

Reviewed July 22, 2014

I took a party of five to Bacalao this evening. The food was excellent, the wine was good, and the service was good EXCEPT that the servers ignored my wife! I have no idea why - she is quiet and reserved - but I did not appreciate it. Keep my wife happy and I will be happy. Anyway, we all enjoyed ourselves, though my wife (and I) not so much as might have been.

2  Thank John L
amaunder, Owner at Bacalao - Nouvelle Newfoundland Cuisine, responded to this reviewResponded July 25, 2014

Hi John, Thanks for reviewing. I am thrilled to hear that your group enjoyed the food and service. But I would like to get to the bottom of why you felt your wife didn't receive the same level of service... could you please email me directly? info@bacalaocuisine.ca Thanks! Andrea

Reviewed July 17, 2014

Nice ambience, good service and great food! A must visit if you enjoy fine dining. Would have gone back every night if it weren't for the fact that we had to be reasonable with our expenses, but absolutely worth every penny.