“Evening Escape!”

Ranked #26 of 378 Restaurants in St. John's
Cuisines: Canadian
Dining options: Dinner, Breakfast, Lunch, Late Night, Reservations
Neighborhood: Downtown
Description: Newfoundland Seafood Risotto - sweet local coldwater shrimp, succulent bay scallops, local mussels and lobster. Finished with lobster oil and asparagus!
St. John`s, NL
“Evening Escape!”
Reviewed February 5, 2014 via mobile

Dinner here was pretty good.My wife ordered the Jiggs dinner starter which was tasty!I I chose Quidi Vidi mussels,really good!Wife had the Duck,delicious!I had the savoury roast chicken,delicious too!!Recommend this place!!

Vancouver, Canada
“Impressive!!”
Reviewed December 30, 2013

It takes a lot for a restaurant to make a positive impression, but Bacalao certainly made one! Our server was fun and knowledgable, even steered us away from one dish she felt may have been over-salty for our taste. We selected a very reasonably priced merlot (the wine list has extensive tasting notes in the appendix for every wine on the menu which I found very helpful). We both had the jigs dinner cabbage rolls (very clever idea and one we will be replicating at home) which were delicious. My husband had the pan-fried cod and I had moose stew, both very different from one another and both deliciously prepared. Presentation was beautifully done. We shared a dessert of Christmas pudding, flambeed with a creme anglais and lastly, our bill was accompanied by two peppermint knobs (a flashback to someone's Newfoundland childhood).

Overall, I was thoroughly impressed and inspired and will be back on my next visit to St. John's.

• Visited December 2013
Corner Brook, Canada
“Newfoundland Culinary Champions - Love this restaurant!”
Reviewed December 2, 2013

Our most recent family visit to Bacalao was last week. Their new menu was just launched – and it was spectacular! We started off with an amuse-bouche – a warm soup that was famously presented and tantalizingly flavorful. My husband order the catch of the day, pan seared halibut which was sampled by all – ‘mouth-watering’! Our daughter had the roasted chicken breast with bakeapple gastrique - she cleaned her plate with the ‘bread swipe’. I savored the vegetarian gnocchi main, a personal favorite. Next, who can choose between house made desserts by pastry chef and owner, Andrea? Not us, so we ordered the pumpkin cheesecake and a pudding (cannot remember name) to share. Both were devoured! The wine selection at Bacalao is phenomenal, customer service is top notch and the ambient atmosphere combined guarantee a memorable culinary experience for couples, families, businesses and corporate functions. Bacalao is literally a three minute jaunt from the St. John’s Delta Hotel (largest hotel in St. John’s) and many quaint B&B’s for traveller convenience. I cannot convey how fantastic this locally owned and operated restaurant is. Simply put, Bacalao is listed as the number restaurant in St. John’s because they are! Visit and experience their fresh local cuisine for yourself.

• Visited November 2013
Wappingers Falls, New York
“Great Atmosphere and Cuisine”
Reviewed November 27, 2013

Dined here on Nov 19, 2013 with a group of 10 business colleagues. We had the small dining room in front to ourselves. Our waitress was outstanding and personable (wish I could remember her name). The cuisine is excellent with emphasis on local foods, such as moose, cod and duck. Wine listing is extensive. Portions are a bit small (aka refined) but satisfying and the deserts are the perfect sweet ending.

Visited November 2013
houston, tx
“One of best in St Johns”
Reviewed November 12, 2013

Food and service were excellent. Good, reasonably priced wine list. Cozy setting with multiple dining areas in an old house. So good, we went back twice in a 4 day stay. Reservations a good idea.

• Visited August 2013