“Overrated”

Bacalao - Nouvelle Newfoundland Cuisine
Ranked #17 of 392 Restaurants in St. John's
Cuisines: Canadian
Good for: Large groups, Romantic, Business meetings, Special occasions, Local cuisine
Dining options: Breakfast, Lunch, Late Night, Dinner, Reservations
Neighborhood: Downtown
Description: Newfoundland Seafood Risotto - sweet local coldwater shrimp, succulent bay scallops, local mussels and lobster. Finished with lobster oil and asparagus!
Reviewed March 22, 2013

Had dinner there a few weeks ago. Food and service is good but can't understand this being the highest rated restaurant in St Johns. My biggest complaint in ambience. Was given a table for 2 in a small back room with another couple a foot or two away from us. Could hear every word they were speaking which really put damper on our meal. Room could certainly do with one table less so all patrons could enjoy their meal with a little privacy.

amaunder, Owner at Bacalao - Nouvelle Newfoundland Cuisine, responded to this reviewResponded March 30, 2013

I am thrilled to hear that you enjoyed the food and service!

Regarding your table placement - if you had asked your server, we would have been happy to move you to a table that suited you better. We have learned we can't predict which spot different guests prefer... some love a corner, some love a fireplace or window - and then we have guests who love to sit in the waiting area in the rear of the restaurant near the kitchen so they can see all the action! We do our best to accommodate all requests... many regular customers request their favourite table or room.

We are set in a former merchant-family home, 100 +years old, with original Newfoundland birch floors, original high plaster ceilings and fireplaces in each of the four dining rooms. The benefit is that even when the restaurant is full, a room never has more than five or six tables, depending on size. The challenge, of course, is table placement.

I hope you return to dine in another room/table, and please feel free to request the space in which you feel most comfortable, when you reserve.

Reviewed March 20, 2013

We dined at the Bacalao last night, the food was delicious but I firmly believe $12 for a glass of wine is over the top, it was just ordinary wine, no special order.

amaunder, Owner at Bacalao - Nouvelle Newfoundland Cuisine, responded to this reviewResponded March 21, 2013

We are happy to hear you enjoyed your meal. Regarding wine, we maintain our regular and specialty wine lists, and offer 13 wines by the glass, ranging from $8 to $12, including 5 reds, 4 whites plus dessert wines. In addition we offer 3 ports by the glass. Our glass pour is a generous 6 ounces, larger than industry standard and our markup is less than industry standard. We are passionate about wine and take pride in offering a wide range of wines, from many regions, in many styles, and at a wide variety of price points. We have 2 wine experts on site, and undertake regular staff training so that all servers can provide guests advice and suggestions on wine by the glass or bottle to complement their meal. We are sorry you didn't enjoy your glass. Your server would have been happy to pour you a taste to help you choose a glass to enjoy with your meal.

Reviewed March 15, 2013

I went here with my parents and grandmother for brunch a few weekends ago. I had heard from some friends that they served a really good brunch, and I was not disappointed! The food was very fresh with a creative twist off traditional Newfoundland food. Even my grandmother raved about the place, and she is the pickiest eater I know! I had the George Street special and it certainly was a special plate! Homemade toutons, bacon, sausages, eggs, baked beans and a side of fruit. It was truly the best breakfast I've ever had, and to top it all off I had the mimosa for two - but for one! They add a partridge berry coulis and the flavors were fantastic! I can't wait to go back again. We wanted to lick our plates clean and had we been at home, we probably would have :)

Reviewed February 17, 2013

You get what you pay for at the Bacalao. The food in this place was simply delicious. The best calamari, scallops and duck ever! The service was top notch and the setting was very charming. We opted for the cafe gourmand instead of dessert and that was the only dissapointment of the evening as it was very much just rather dry biscuits. However that was not enough to affect an excellent rating. Next time we will try a proper dessert.

Reviewed February 8, 2013

Innovative and creative incorporation of local products, including NL game and fish, with attractive presentations of each dish. Our waitperson was knowledgable and attentive, and made our evening with her attention to detail and personal touches. The food -- amazing. My partner had delectable seafood dishes for starter and main, while mine had a game theme. All were delicious, and must be especially intriguing for out-of-province diners. And the desserts? Yum! Best ginger cake in the world, my partner says! A lovely evening. Highly, highly recommend Bacalao.