“Amazing”

Bacalao - Nouvelle Newfoundland Cuisine
Ranked #33 of 381 Restaurants in St. John's
Cuisines: Canadian
Good for: Special occasions, Local cuisine, Business meetings, Romantic, Large groups
Dining options: Breakfast, Dinner, Late Night, Lunch, Reservations
Neighborhood: Downtown
Description: Newfoundland Seafood Risotto - sweet local coldwater shrimp, succulent bay scallops, local mussels and lobster. Finished with lobster oil and asparagus!
Reviewed January 31, 2013

Friendly informative service. Delicious food. Reasonably priced for quality food. Will definately return and recomend friends.

There are newer reviews for Bacalao - Nouvelle Newfoundland Cuisine

Reviewed January 24, 2013

I have been to this restaurant twice. Both times, the food was incredible, the staff was incredible, and the atmosphere is nice. I would not recommend it as a place for Valentine's Day because they cram too many tables in the room and there is no privacy.

Reviewed January 23, 2013

Just eaten at Bacalao in Newfoundland and all i can say is wow! It was amazing, I started with cod au Gratin, I am not great on strong tasting fish but this was perfect. Main course was Caribou - I wanted to try it as it is not something we get in the UK and it was moist, non fatty and just wonderful and came in a nice sauce with vegetables and gnocci, and then desert was a peanut butter meringue with partridge berry filing - it had a different name but it was divine. Service was good, it was not the cheapest place in the World but worth every penny. I would say this place is a must if you are in the area

Reviewed January 2, 2013

We went to Bacalao on December 31 to ring in the New Year for the second year in a row.
We were very impressed once again with the high level of service and the quality of the food.
What a treat indeed! The staff was wonderful and Chef Mike spoke to us after our meal was completed and asked how we enjoyed it. (everything is made from scratch I might add). The food was superb. We have booked again for next year. St. John's has a new #1 eatery.

1  Thank dgm792
Reviewed December 28, 2012

I ate at Bacalao on 21st December 2012 and I have to say the food I had (calamari to start and the pan fried cod with bean succotash as main) was some of, if not the best, I have had in St John's. In addition our waitress was great, she was efficient, friendly and attentive without being intrusive. All in all a very enjoyable evening at a time of year when restaurants can be a little hit and miss