Bacalao - Nouvelle Newfoundland Cuisine
Ranked #26 of 378 Restaurants in St. John's
Cuisines: Canadian
Good for: Romantic, Local cuisine, Business meetings, Special occasions, Large groups
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Lunch, Breakfast, Reservations
Neighborhood: Downtown
Description: Newfoundland Seafood Risotto - sweet local coldwater shrimp, succulent bay scallops, local mussels and lobster. Finished with lobster oil and asparagus!
St. John's, Newfoundland, Canada
“Superb”
Reviewed October 12, 2012

Took a group of thirty for supper- all mainlanders. Everyone enjoyed it immensely. Started with calamari or scallops for apps. We had a fixed menu with mains of halibut, caribou medallions and Moose Bourgogne. All superb. Finished off with their yummy homemade desserts. They did everything memorable to make the night a success.

Nova Scotia
“Yummy!”
Reviewed October 7, 2012

Three smallish dining rooms. Warm both literally and figuratively. Wonderful choices on the menu and with the specials. I had crab stuffed spring rolls to start and caribou for my main. It was delicious. There was a bit of a wait between courses. I assume there was a hiccup somewhere in the kitchen, but it was worth it. The wait staff and hostess were very good: cheerful and enthusiastic. They seemed proud to work there. That is always a good sign.

• Visited October 2012
Kailua-Kona, Hawaii
“Dazzlingly good Newfoundland cuisine”
Reviewed October 5, 2012

Having tried classic Newfoundland dishes elsewhere, usually in sort of a diner setting, Bacalao was a refreshingly different twist. Liked it so much I went twice on the trip.

The four dining rooms are comfy and welcoming--made me feel like I was in someone's home.

The service is excellent--the servers are knowledgable and very, very friendly and helpful, but never intrusive.

The food: Loved the Jigg's Dinner cabage roll as an appy. Great way to sample the tastes of a classic Newfoundland Sunday meal. Also loved the caribou medallions--cooked to perfection and not gamey, and served with very good gnocchi.

Also tried the cod toungues on salad, which I quite enjoyed. Cod tongues can be quite gelatinous, and these weren't.

For dessert I LOVED the ginger cake with scald cream. Yum, yum, yum.

On my second visit I had their fresh local scallops appetizer--perfection, and their pan-fried cod dinner. Absolutely divine.

Go there, eat, be happy!

Visited September 2012
Pickering
“Fantastic food and excellent service”
Reviewed October 4, 2012 via mobile

My sisters and I enjoyed a great meal here. The kitchen was both willing and able to accommodate my intolerance to shellfish and prepared my fish accordingly. The food was nicely presented and perfectly seasoned. Our server was very helpful and friendly

The only downside was the small room where we were seated. It was a warm night so a window air conditioner was used. The table next to the a/c turned it off so the room became quite stuffy.

Mississauga
“Unattended children will be given a puppy”
Reviewed October 1, 2012

The restaurant had great reviews so we decided to try it on our visit. Parking is a bit of an issue - so you may just want to hop in a cab or if you are close enought and able - its not a bad walk from the hotels. It is in an old home - that slants from front to back - so if you have some difficulty walking or need a little assistance - it is a bit of a challenge. Food was good, our server very attentive. One night we tried the cod dish of the day and were not disappointed - it was very good - and then next visit we tried the caribou which was delicious. I would recommend it to anyone visiting this city - a little out of the way - but worth the visit. however, don't order the risotto - it is not risotto - but the only dish that i would suggest people stay away from. I loved their sign - any children left unattended would be fed espresso and given a puppy.

• Visited September 2012