“New Year's Day”

Ranked #13 of 78 Restaurants in Corner Brook
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed January 2, 2013

My party of four ate here in the Carriage Room on New Year's Day, they had a special menu for the occasion which I thought would showcase some of their best, I was wrong.

I started with the Tomato Soup, which left much to be desired - it lacked flavour and was pretty bland, nothing special about it at all.

For my entree, I had the Chicken Broccoli Penne Pasta, which was delicious a lovely flavour, just the right amount of sauce, perfectly cooked chicken and a lovely assortment of fresh vegetables - except no Broccoli, which was bizarre, as it is the namesake of the dish. But, all in all, I didn't really mind - it was delicious.

For dessert, I decided to try the Raspberry Flakie - it was a VERY large portion even when split among two people, and it was ridiculously difficult to cut into, the bottom was almost frozen, it took a considerable amount of strength to get my fork through it.

Overall, a very nice evening - friendly staff and good food, but perhaps I'll request a steak knife for the Flakie next time.

1  Thank odude22

Reviewed December 30, 2012

For the "nicest hotel" in Corner Brook, the restaurant situation is terrible. This supposedly high-end steak house has absolutely no vegetarian options. I realize it is a steak house, but when celebrating with family and friends, surly there will be a vegetarian or two in the group - you're $hit out of luck if you're going here. They didn't even offer to make something vegetarian except for a stir fry. It is 2012 - it is not acceptable to not offer a vegetarian option at any hotel.

Then to top it off, our party attempted to go to the pub in the hotel for a drink or two after our meal and low and behold the pub was closed at 9 pm on a saturday. How silly of us, expecting a pub to be open at 9 PM on a saturday. What a backwards place.

1  Thank Dartmouthkev
Reviewed December 2, 2012

We've eaten at the Wine Cellar at the Glynmill Inn three times now, and we have enjoyed it each time! We LOVE steak, and love the selections they have. This time around the Prime Rib was very tasty, but the T-Bone was a little thinner than I was hoping, but still cooked well and flavourful.

The homemade Chocolate Eruption Cheesecake is FABULOUS!!! I look forward to it each time!

The service is great. The waitress came to check on us every five minutes or so, and filled our water glasses upon every visit. She was very friendly, as was the lady who seated us.

The dining room is a little small, and so when a crowd comes in it can get noisy. But the atmosphere is terrific - romantic and intimate!

The food is expensive, perhaps more expensive than it needs to be. The entrees aren't too bad, really it's the starters that I struggling paying high prices for, and add-ons. We asked for Scallop/Shrimp to be added. We expected more than two tiny scallop and two shrimp when we paid $9.99 each for them ... they were ok, but not worth $9.99.

But, overall a good experience, and we will likely go back!

1  Thank GregCrystal
Reviewed October 24, 2012

We stayed somewhere else should have stayed here but we ate here. Food was good, reasonable price for quality, somewhat rare in Newfouldland. The atmosphere was a bit on the stodgy side. Kind of place my parents went to when hey were older. But if in Corner Brook this is good palce to eat.

1  Thank Southernman72
Reviewed September 21, 2012

I ate here once and thought it was worth trying again. I had the filet mignon with a mushroom spread over the top and it was fantastic. It is a nice atmosphere since your tucked away in the basement part of the glynnmill inn. Wine list is good. Would recommend.

1  Thank Nomad_Chef24