“Terrible customer experience.”

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Corner Brook
Strawberry Hill Inn & Chalets
Ranked #5 of 6 Hotels in Corner Brook
St. John's, Newfoundland, Canada
“Terrible customer experience.”
Reviewed April 18, 2013

Do NOT book here. I had booked a chalet and had it booked/confirmed AND gave the woman my credit card number, then she tells me that I couldn't actually have the chalet. Absolutely NO organization - apparently there is more than one person taking bookings and they do not communicate or have an organized booking system. Was very excited to stay here with friends but I can guarantee you that I will NEVER go to this place and I will NEVER recommend it to anyone. Terrible customer service and experience. I will be taking my business elsewhere.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
3 Thank Sarah F

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (6)
Corner Brook, Canada
Reviewed February 25, 2013

Although the place looked very nice, it was very untidy and unclean. The door knobs on the bedrooms were broken so if you closed the doors they would swing back open, the fire place did not work and I found it very cold there late in the night. It took a long time to get checked in, the lady was very extremely rude. I was told that the hot tub did not work which was one of my main reasons for going there, So me and my company went for a walk on the premises by the river later that evening and the hot was there fully functioning, you could hear it cutting in when we walked passed. I got the feeling they just did not want us to use it.The pool or restraunt wasn't open. We didn't get to do anything only walk around. My overall stay was nothing like I had expected it to be. I feel it was just a waste of my $191. I won't go back there again. Then after I left, I had a call from management looking for a bag of "special road salt". In which then my company and I were accused of stealing this salt, as if I have nothing better to do then go on a getaway and steal salt. I find that very insulting. I would never recommend this place to anyone.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
6 Thank Susan W
St. John's, Canada
Reviewed November 29, 2012 via mobile

Booked The Loft while on business last week. Very clean. Beautiful view off the back deck veer looking the Humber river. Staff were very helpful making bookings and during my stay. I look forward to returning.

Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
2 Thank Jsobol
cornerbrook
Reviewed September 28, 2012

i had an awkward experience when i visited strawberry hill, while i had one staff getting me situated in a chalet, (which was a lengthy process to begin with).. i overheard whom i assume to be the lady in charge yelling at one of the other staff about using cleaning products, she kept saying that its a waste of money.. i actually heard her tell her to use dish liquid!!

when i went to my chalet i couldn't help but wonder if it just looked clean or if it really was,
if it wasn't for the bottom of the receipt that clearly stated NO REFUNDS i would not have stayed

it was a beautiful property and wonderful area to get away, and just so you know the food was amazing.
i would highly recommend it to anyone who isn't afraid of germs...

Room Tip: the first chalet s the only chalet that is not attached, so if your looking to party or need quit i...
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
8 Thank baby-xo
Paradise, Newfoundland, Canada
Reviewed July 5, 2012

We booked a one night stay at Strawberry hill as a romantic get a way. I call and asked for a regular room, but with only 2 days notice they were full. They placed us in a 3 bedroom chalet for the same price as the room.
We didn't know what to expect but it was lovely! The grounds were spectacular and we went down to sit on a wharf over the humber river. There was also a hot tub over looking the river as well that we were able to use, unfortunately the hot tub isn't private so you may have to take turns with other guests. We were not able to eat in the restaurant as we were there for only one night.
I would love to go back again.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
5 Thank Ashley B
Saskatchewan
Reviewed October 13, 2011

We found this hotel mostly by accident and were excited by our find. The checkin was a bit time consuming as they do not have a lot of staff, but we were treated to a nice refreshment during our wait. Bonus. The property is old but reasonably well keep it would appear. Room to room noise is above what you would normally expect and you can literally hear people talking in a normal voice in the next room through the walls. We stayed in the manor house which is the old part, I can not comment on the much newer chalets other than to assume new construction will mean some sound proofing. We dined in the on site restaurant. The food was excellent, but truly there was not much of it. Maybe I should have ordered the $14.00 side salad or payed extra for a piece of bread, both things, in my opinion, which should be included in any meal. It's unusual to leave the table not having your hunger satisfied, but sadly this was the case. So, $148.00, for supper for two which included a cocktail. Nice setting, great service, good food, just overpriced and not much of it. Would I stay again, no. Would I try the restarant again, maybe after I had a look at what I hope will be their improved menu. Great location right on the Humber River.

Room Tip: Don't pick the kind suite, called by some the Queen Elizabeth suite. Apparently She did stay he...
  • Stayed October 2011, traveled as a couple
7 Thank Murrayinpanama
Vancouver, Canada
Reviewed November 14, 2010

I had to travel to Corner Brook on short notice for business and discovered all the hotels in town were fully booked. I looked furhter out of town and contacted Strawberry Hill, finding they had a vacancy in the manor house. As I was arrivng after midnight and they don't staff the reception desk that late, they put me up in one of the Chalets (at the same rate as a single in the house). These are very nice and well laid out. In the lowest floor there are two bedrooms, one wth bunk beds. The main floor has a living room with gas fire place, dining room, fully equipped kitchen and laundry room. The top floor has the master bedroom. There are bathrooms on all floors. In addition there is a large deck with a gas barbeque. The Chalet is nicely furnished and would comfortably sleep 7, so there was ample room for just myself!
The resort is easy to find, located approximately half-way between Deer Lake (the airport) and Corner Brook, about 20 minutes from either. It's just off the highway, which brings me to the only downside of the place. The chalets are positioned just below the highway and are positioned just far enough from the river that you cannot really see it well from the deck or bedrooms. I didn't find the road noise intrusive, but during the summer it might be louder with the windows open. I doubt you'd be able to hear it in the Manor house as it's further from the road and closer to the river.
The grounds are loverly and the entire property seems well kept. Some minor wear was evident at the chalet with cracks around the shower and an iron that only intermittantly worked.
I wasn't able to take advantage of dining at the manor or have more than a brief walk around the grounds. Given the location, I would assume there would be some walking trails nearby.
This would be a great retreat for a family or a wedding reception!

• Stayed October 2010, traveled on business
#4 of 4 in Deer Lake
Marblewood Village Resort
Marblewood Village Resort
#1 of 1 in Steady Brook

Been to Strawberry Hill Inn & Chalets? Share your experiences!