“Good food and value” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of Gitanos

Gitanos
Ranked #6 of 75 Restaurants in Corner Brook
Cuisines: Canadian
Good for: Families with children, Special occasions, Business meetings, Romantic, Large groups
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Lunch, Full Bar, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
St. John's, Canada
“Good food and value”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 9, 2013

The food was excellent, service good and the ambiance nice. Overall a good value in a town without much fine dining. One thing to note is that the restaurant can be hard to find. It is in the Millbrook Mall building, but the entrance is hidden away around the back. Apparently there is an interior entrance through the flower shop!

• Visited June 2013
1 Thank Simmons_NL_CAN

Corner Brook, Canada
“Well pleased”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 24, 2013

The atmosphere at Gitanos is very elegant yet welcoming. The service is the best that I have received at any establisment in Corner Brook. Everytime I have guests I take them to this restaurant as I know the food is top notch, and the staff and even the owner are very personable...Love the food.

• Visited March 2013
1 Thank Denise7223
Corner Brook, Canada
“Valentine's Dinner Made Terrible”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 27, 2013

My husband and I went to Gitanos for Valentines dinner (we had reservations), hostess seated us at a nice cozy table at the back of the restaurant. That's where the niceness ended. I ordered the Bombay Chicken, it came with a pile of uncooked rice, unseasoned with anything and limp,crappy broccoli. It was inedible due to the crunch of uncooked rice, so I mentioned this to the waitress who said she would bring me a new entree. In the meantime, my husband's steak arrived and it was delicious. I immediately flagged down the waitress and changed my order to steak. We sat there for 2 HOURS waiting to get my steak, by the end of it I just asked them to doggy-bag itandI ate it at home. TERRIBLE service. It ruined our Valentines dinner. This restaurant is not worth the wait, the money or the time. At least the steak dinner was good.

• 2 of 5 bubbles
2 Thank NewfieTravelGirl
newfoundland
“So slow and bad service”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 21, 2013

I heard good things about this place and was looking forward to a nice meal. Staff were friendly when we arrived but once we ordered and got our bread and wine we did not see anyone for 45 minutes. When we asked about our meal we were told there was a problem in the kitchen. After another 20 minutes we asked for more bread and water but still no meal. After 1 hour and 45 minutes the woman who seemed to be in charge came over to our table and made all kinds of excuses for the late meal. She did not offer anything for our long wait until we pointed out that this was their problem. At that point she offered comp the wine but was not happy about it and still no meal was in site. At last we got our food after 2 hours from the time we ordered. The lamb was tasty but the serving was small. I would never go their again. We were not the only people who complained about the slow service, others left the restaurant grumbling loudly.

• 2 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank streel
St. John's, Canada
“Appalling Service!”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 20, 2013

This is a terrible, pretentious restaurant with food that is mediocre at best and service that is appalling! Our waiter did not wonder that our order was not ready, and so it was over an hour after we placed the order that he informed us that it had not been printed in the kitchen. Forty minutes later I walked to the kitchen to complain that our food had still not shown up. They said it was nearly ready, but 20 minutes later it had not appeared. The head waitress apologized, and explained the problem with the printer. But when confronted that this was a problem recognized one hour earlier she grew belligerent and the lack of sympathy she had for us was extremely apparent. They covered the cost of our bottle of wine. When it arrived the food was adequate, but uninteresting, vegetables were dull and dry and meat servings were small. We heard other customers complain loudly about the wait that night and the place was not even full. Never go there!

2 Thank Patty W