“Decent, competent, but not an experience”
Review of Glynmill Inn

Glynmill Inn
Ranked #1 of 6 Hotels in Corner Brook
Berkshire, UK
“Decent, competent, but not an experience”
Reviewed June 28, 2013

The Glynmill has the ambiance of a hotel used mainly by people visiting Corner Brook on business. It does everything decently and nothing very well. Actually we didn't really take to Corner Brook or indeed the drives along the Humber Arms that radiate from there, though that's scarcely thye hotel's fault. Our room in the new block was perfectly acceptable as was the bathroom. We ate dinner and breakfast in the Carriage Room and they were OK too, even if it was quite a lonely experience for early dinner and breakfast. There was a bit of noise from the balcony of the room below but it didn't persist into the enening/night. The in-room wifi didn't work on eother of our machines, though it was fine in the lobby- a common disease in larger hotels where they just seem a bit reluctant to install the number and type of repeaters needed to provide service everywhere. As I say, OK not outstanding.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank DavidHBerkshire_UK

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (47)
Mississauga, Canada
Reviewed June 22, 2013 via mobile

I visited this hotel for work but it felt like a vacation. The hotel is well maintained with excellent attention to details in rooms. It was very quiet. The restaurant was great value and tasty. The staff was extremely helpful. I look forward to returning.

Stayed June 2013
Dunnville, Canada
Reviewed June 21, 2013

Gorgeous old inn. Our suite was wonderful, with new bedding and lovely room. The main staircase could be magnificent but needs some work and new carpeting. This inn is old but so quaint. There was everything needed for a night's stay, including soap, shampoo etc. I did have to ask for bedding for pull-out sofa and I was told they were not sure if they had extra pillows! I can't imagine an inn without having pillows! My reservation was booked for 3 people and we were clear we would be using pull-out sofa. Its attention to details that makes a stay so memorable and having to ask for bedding and pillows and then told they may not have extra pillows. What was I to use?

Room Tip: If you are travelling with more than couple, make sure you ask for bedding and pillows up front.
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
Summerside
Reviewed May 24, 2013

What first intrigued me about Glynmill was its unique exterior, beautifully set in Cornerbrook. There are also three different dining options as well which was great if you want to stay close to the Inn. Although clean, not much else set it apart, the room was quite small (was overpriced when compared to other establishments) and the staff were not overly helpful.The real down part was that the room I had stayed in was close to one of the attached restaurants, making the room stink of grease. I opened the window in hopes it would help, however it seemed to draw in more.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
St. John's
Reviewed May 11, 2013

This is the best of the Corner Brook hotels, but like all of them, they don't bother to provide most of the basic amenities that hotels across North America provide. Shampoo? no. Conditioner? no. Soap? well, a tiny hard bar of yellow something that you might be able to get lather from if you try really hard. Bath gel? no. A hot shower? This morning, May 11th, it took 10 minutes of running the shower before the water changed from freezing cold to tolerably luke-warm, and another five minutes before it finally became hot. I'm glad I got up ahead of my alarm, otherwise I'd have been late for my departure because of waiting for the shower to warm up.

Beware that most of the hotels in Corner Brook and Stephenville don't provide shampoo and other basics. I don't usually pack shampoo when traveling because it's only on the west coast of Newfoundland that they're this cheap. But I forgot this time. It's not fun at 6 am waiting for the water to warm up in the shower and belatedly realizing that this is one of those hotels that can't even be bothered to provide shampoo...

They do give a tiny bottle of hand lotion which doesn't work well for hair.

The restaurant doesn't open until 7 am so it means a trip to the local Tim Horton's if you have an early start.

The bed is very comfortable though.

Room Tip: The end rooms are quieter but they're quite a distance from the central elevator, due to how thi...
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled on business
Connie R, Manager at Glynmill Inn, responded to this review, May 14, 2013
Your customer feedback is appreciated. Our guestroom amenities consists of; 2 bars of soap, shampoo, shower cap and a make-up wipe. We also offer our guests who depart before the dining room opens a “Breakfast to Go Bag” consisting of a muffin, yogurt, apple or orange, with a cup of tea or coffee in hand. I sincerely apologize for your guestroom not being properly stocked with all of the amenities and for the oversight of the front desk agent for not offering you a Breakfast to Go Bag. We strive to provide the best in customer service and take full responsibility for any shortcoming. I am pleased to inform you that we are in the process of upgrading our in hotel amenities to a better quality. Thank you for taking the time to share your comments with us and for complimenting the Glynmill Inn as being the best hotel in Corner Brook while noting the comfort of our beds in your review.
St. John's, Newfoundland, Canada
Reviewed May 7, 2013

I stayed here last fall (2012) for a work trip. The hotel is nice but it is a bit dated. The room I stayed in was quite large. It had a separate living room area, which was spacious and had a couch, flat-screen TV, fridge and desk. There were two double beds in the bedroom and another flat-screen TV. The bathroom was off the bedroom and was large enough for what I needed. There aren't many hotel options available in Corner Brook and I had heard that this was the nicest. It's hard to compare as I didn't stay anywhere else. It was nice but I'd like to see what else was available next time I'm in the area.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
Happy Valley-Goose Bay, Canada
Reviewed April 17, 2013

I love to stay at the Glynmill whenever I get the chance, I have stayed here on two separate occasions so far. It is my favorite hotel I have been to so far, it has such a great and historic feel around it. It is also located right next to a beautiful walking trail and lake, and Corner Brook is a very beautiful town.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Marble Inn Resort
Marble Inn Resort
#1 of 2 in Steady Brook
Grenfell Campus Summer Accommodations, Memorial University of Newfoundland

Been to Glynmill Inn? Share your experiences!