“Wish we had left right away :-(”
Review of Seely's Motel

Seely's Motel
Ranked #4 of 4 Hotels in Shediac
Reviewed July 7, 2013

This review is based on my honest and well travelled opinion.............

My husband and I and our two children, a toddler and 10 year old stayed here for two nights (July, 2013). We were initially going to camp, but being tired and business owner's ourselves, we decided to pay for a hotel hoping that we could have some of the comforts of home after spending our days on the beach.

First I want to say the outside of the property is very nice and the pool is wonderful. The accommodation's were very basic, at least the room we stayed in was. We were in room 103 and it was the handicapped room, meaning things such as the shower were altered. We were not made aware of this or offered another room.

Upon arriving, we were one hour early checking in. My husband went in and was promptly given our key, when we entered the room it was a total mess and the maid had not been there to clean up after the previous occupant. (upon check out when I mentioned this to the clerk she argued with me that we were made aware that the room was not ready, that was a total lie)We also noticed the bathroom door (folding door) was completely off the track. I called the front desk and they said that they would have it cleaned right away. I said we were leaving for the beach anyway....It was then I noticed the bathroom door, called again, the girl said thank your for my patience...here is the rest:
- first night about 9pm I pulled out the couch for the kids, no sheets, no blankets, no pillows, took an hour for the guy to bring some (and two tries, the first he brought a blanket :-(
-the shower had a wooden bench that takes 3/4 of the stall, it would not stay up, coupled with the shower head that kept shutting off there was no relaxing shower..
-we were not given towels for a family but only two bath towels...
-we were given a 7am complimentary wake up call both mornings of our vacation, very very upsetting with a tired toddler....not nice to have the phone ringing so early on vacation!!
-the breakfast was the worst I have ever had at a hotel. The bread (as a previous review states) was outdated and this in my opinion is not ok, be it frozen or not. The milk and juice were not individual but in large containers sitting in about an inch of ice....Very basic, very cheap, not good. I am in the food service business and I would never serve such substandard food to my clients, ever. When I told the clerk about the out dated bread, she said no it isn't, showed her the outdated bag, she then said its frozen....
-bring your own toilet paper as theirs is about as soft as sandpaper and actually hurt to use...we had to buy our own....
-upon check out I asked for a manager, the "new" young girl working called the owners home, and spoke to a lady that told her he was not home and to leave my name and number and that I would be called on Monday. Nobody would even speak to me on the phone.

I was charged the full price $125 per night plus tax on my credit card and basically told too bad. I warn anyone thinking of going here to be very careful, I found it to be a total rip off and when no manager or owner would at least speak to me I realized what I was dealing with and left. During the entire stay and upon check out "I'm sorry" was never said once....

PS The free wifi was awful...cut in and out and could not really be used...

We are a hard working, happy family that just wanted a long weekend at the beach. I want to warn other people not to waste their hard earned money on a motel that not only makes a lot of errors, but does not even have the decency to address them and speak to unhappy customers.

I feel mislead and totally ripped off, buyer beware :-(

Room Tip: Do not stay in room 103, it is the handicapped room and the folding bathroom door falls off the trac...
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled with family
5  Thank crousej
CSGMSML, General Manager at Seely's Motel, responded to this reviewResponded July 18, 2013

To the Unidentified Reviewer (TripAdvisor advised)

We welcome honest and non-malicious reviews and not fraudulent or misrepresented ones. It is difficult to address your review when it is in fact associated and connected to another reviewer earlier in the year and where you have misrepresented yourself here. Indentify yourself and prove that you stayed here. A trip advisor account set up earlier this year to review your well travelled City of Saint John is beyond suspicious.

Reviewed June 25, 2013

Room was clean and pleasant. Friendly and helpful owner. Be sure to bargain a little, though. We were originally quoted a price of $95 but this was quickly lowered to $75 when we said that we were going to go across the road to check the motel next door. Would stay here again.

Stayed: June 2013, traveled with family
4  Thank r g
CSGMSML, General Manager at Seely's Motel, responded to this reviewResponded June 29, 2013

Thank you for sharing your thoughts. While this is not always our practice, we welcomed the opportunity to assist you in this way. Thank you again, we look forward to serving you in the future.

Reviewed April 2, 2013

In September 2012 our company held a four day event at Seely's Motel and the management and staff went out of their way to make it outstanding! The rooms were comfortable and clean and our guests from all across Canada were pleased.

Our needs were hotel rooms, the banquet room (with audio equipment) and the outdoor patio. Seely's handled our coffee breaks each day and we held our Annual General Meeting on site and had it catered by a local restaurant which worked out really well. We had several other vendors and Shediac businesses help us out and the Seely's staff was great at receiving them and managing all our requests.

The amenities in the area (Point du Chene wharf, Parlee Beach, shopping, local restaurants) were fun and Seely’s offered suggestions to make our event pleasurable for all our guests. They arranged transportation when needed, especially to and from the Moncton airport to pick up guests.

It was a well-run event and Seely's helped make it successful with reasonable pricing and great customer service, from the initial planning with Carson Seely, the manager, and Danielle Bourque, to the entire front desk and cleaning staff. Just tremendous support – thank you Seely’s!

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled on business
2  Thank CFCN-Charity
Reviewed December 19, 2012

We arrived late at night and were greeted by a very nice older gentleman who seemed to have been in this business a long time. We asked for just a basic room for my husband & our 2 children as we did not need anything special as we were leaving early in the morning to visit family in Souris PEI and then on to Sydney NS & could not dirve the rest of the way. To our surprise, the room was very nice with a sofa and chair with coffee table. This was not what we expected. The room was large, very clean, modern and even had a whirlpool type bathtub. We stayed again on our return home from Sydney as we had enjoyed our stay the first time. This time we took a family room with 2 beds and separate queen bedroom in the same room with flat panel tv's in each room. VERY NICE for Family travellers. (no fighting over the TV) Again the room was large, clean and as expected. The Breakfast was basic but good value for the money. I would recommend this Motel!

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled with family
4  Thank Tammy W
CSGMSML, General Manager at Seely's Motel, responded to this reviewResponded February 13, 2013

Thank you for your comments.

Our goal is to provide the most comfortable experience possible. We strive to offer NON “cookie cutter” options for room configurations. Our family suites truely are a convenient and accommodating option for families or 2 couples travelling together. We appreciate your feedback and look forward to seeing you again on your next visit.

Reviewed December 9, 2012

I have read some of the other reviews and rebuttals by management and I am amazed. We stayed there for two nights (no other accommodations available in town) and never even turned down the sheets. The bathroom was very dirty, there was soap scum on the shower handle, there was garbage on top of the TV stand, there was crumbs on the floor, and there was dirt on the bathroom walls.(SEE PICTURES). The lights bulbs in our lamps were burned out and when I asked the front desk staff for another, I was told that I had to remove the bulbs and bring them to the desk before they could give me another...as though I were planning to steal the bulbs lol. The housekeeping staff were asked to meet me at my room at my request and the kind housekeeper switched the bulbs. When I approached the front desk, the clerk greeted me with "What?" instead of hello or how can I help you. The only nice staff I encountered were the elderly housekeeper and the Sunday morning desk clerk. the others were curt, rude and sometimes rolled their eyes. We slept on top of the covers after finding crumbs in the bed. We bought bleach and Lysol wiped to wash the door handles etc, as the toilet and sink are in different rooms, making you wonder how many dirty hands open that bathroom door. (AGAIN SEE PICTURES). I have read management rebuttals on the breakfast. There was the standard jams, peanut butter etc. There was 2 juices, tea bags, coffee and hot water.The hot water was in one of the coffee pots, with a Styrofoam cup played in it to keep in the heat. The cup was warped on the bottom (slightly melted). who knows what chemicals are seeping into the water. I had to wash a cereal bowl, as I tried three all of which were dirty despite the fact that there was a dishwasher. And I know they run the dishwasher because on Saturday morning, while folks were still eating (approx 8:45) the front desk clerk began putting things away, and slammed the dishwasher door several times. And then there was the milk...on the first morning I noticed the milk was expired..my hubby went up and told the clerk who put it back in the fridge and out out another milk. On Sunday morning when we went back to breakfast..low and behold there was the expired milk again. (see pics). There are so many things about this motel that are wrong that I don't know where to go from here. The pics online are deceiving, and I don't know what standards of cleanliness folks are used to if they give this the highest rating....perhaps CAA is only shown the honeymoon suite? Or one or two particular rooms...all I can say is, we payed almost $100 a night, had to eat breakfast out, and had to clean the room with lysol wipes and sleep on the top. None of these things impressed us...and we will never return....

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled with family
9  Thank sleepywillow49
CSGMSML, General Manager at Seely's Motel, responded to this reviewResponded February 22, 2013

Having reviewed and discussed the comments with all of the staff concerned and further with Tripadvisor, I am unable to pursue this any further at this time and have referred this appropriately. The reviewer privately requested a refund after staying 3 days without speaking to management during her stay.
Management does not agree with this review & has several reservations discussed with the reviewer in private messages not shown here with regards to the issues presented. While Tripadvisor has choosen a course of action to resolve, management is not in agreement with actions taken by the customer to provide evidence of the claimed review.

Reviewed September 19, 2012

We stayed here without a reservation while passing through Shediac. Our stay was comfortable and clean. No major deterrents to speak of. The room was very large. Although the motel is older (mid-century perhaps?) it has been fully updated. The outside has been manicured and moderized, and the rooms have new furniture. A pleasant, standard stay.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank TravelHeath
Reviewed September 10, 2012

First of all we booked for Sept 1st AND Sept 2nd. Upon arriving we were told that only 1 night had been reserved and that our room was already booked to someone else for the second night. So first off I was not impressed. I was told that I could speak to the manager when she arrived... Oh boy this is where the "fun" begins. She was smiling - I'll give her that - but her tone and her words were totally inexusable. She very rudely made judgements about my family and told me that it was my fault that the second night wasn't booked... ?? The room itself was pretty clean but the bathroom drywall looked terrible. There was no soap/shampoo in the bathroom and the lighting in the room looked as if it were going to fall in at any time. Upon checking out in the morning - I had the cleaning staff go up and check our room to make sure everything was ok - I'll quote the manager "I just hope your children don't trash the room". My kids are extremely well behaved and wouldn't dream of such a thing. The money that was charged for this room was outrageous and definitely not worth it. This was my second time to Shediac (first time to this hotel) and it will be the last. Very disappointed in the quality and the service.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled with family
6  Thank Katzz34
CSGMSML, General Manager at Seely's Motel, responded to this reviewResponded September 12, 2012

IMPORTANT PLEASE READ!!!!!

As flat as a pancake is, there “are” 2 sides! Further to your review, your comments are UNFOUNDED! We have a celebrated reputation for quality accommodations & friendly service and my staff are much admired for there friendly\welcoming demeanour and accommodating service both here on tripadvisor and in person. The room you reserved is available for 2 PERSONS ONLY. It is our Bridal Suite with 1 King Bed and as such is NOT designed for 4 people nor do we permit it! As you’re aware, this room’s amenities include a chaise lounge, 2 person Jacuzzi, separate shower and dressing area's, high back chairs with ottomans, black marble tables desk & dresser, fireplace, flat panel TV etc., and as such is designed and rented strictly to 2 persons to ensure its continued quality (please see both guest & hotel photo’s of this room posted here). Had we been informed prior to your arrival of this, you would not have been permitted to rent this room! You did however inform us upon your arrival of your plan to put 4 people in this room and your need for a second night. To confirm this, if you check our online reservation system, you will note that you can not rent our Bridal Suite if you input 4 people in the criteria. Your insistences made it difficult to accommodate you and as you were offered other accommodations but refused (2 room suite); “I” agreed through my staff to make an exception to our policy regarding 2 people this time only but instructed my staff to advise that the room would be inspected prior to your departure & upon check out. I would point out to others that read this review that the tone of your conversations with our desk staff were witnessed by other guests and remarked with “shock” as to your treatment of them. Please take your business elsewhere in future as no one deserves this type of treatment, we are here to serve, we are not servants.

Carson Seely
GENERAL MANAGER
SEELY'S MOTEL - Shediac
Shediac's Parlee Beach - "Warmest water north of Virginia USA"

Also consider these accommodations in or near Shediac
1 mi away
Hotel & Restaurant Gabriele Inn
Maison Tait House
Maison Tait House
#2 of 11 in Shediac

Been to Seely's Motel? Share your experiences!