“fair value for money”

Ranked #4 of 12 Shediac B&B and Inns
California, Maryland
“fair value for money”
Reviewed August 14, 2011

Nice people running the B&B. Was middle of the road quality wise but also middle of the road money wise. Clean quiet place. Breakfast was a little unusual - three courses with lots of carbs - yogurt & fruit followed by Irish soda bread, then by carrot cake with frozen yogurt. Tasty but some protein might have been nice. Wouldn't stay again but I wouldn't tell people not to stay at any cost

• Stayed August 2011, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (6)
Winnipeg, Canada
Reviewed August 13, 2011

We just arrived at L'Auberge Gabriele Inn today. My husband, 16-year-old daughter and I were looking for a 'classic' Maritime B&B and this is exactly what we were looking for. We read the couple of reviews about the food before booking, but because no one had written about the accomodations and the two reviews about the food seemed to be overly critical we decided to take our chances based on the photos on TA. Our room was just what you'd hope for from an inn of this vintage and character; charming. The combination of original exposed wood beams and a large upgraded bathroom (including jacuzzi tub and shower meant that we lost none of the charm for the sake of modern upgrades. If you are looking to watch t.v. you'll be disappointed by the circa 1995 Panasonic 20" and the VCR, but if you're willing to enjoy the "unplugged" version of this place, you'll see it as quaint.

We also decided to eat dinner here, despite the negative reviews. We love food and we consider ourselves to be very good cooks. So, we can be fairly tough critics. The food was great. The seafood chowder was the perfect size, with at least 3 shrimp, 3 scallops, 5 mussels and lovely coconut milk broth that was to die for. My husband had the crab cakes---straight forward, came with a salad---excellent. My daughter had the steamed mussels; also a pretty straight forward cream/coconut and white wine sauce, but very tasty. The chocolate lava cake was not the best we've ever tasted, but still quite respectable. All-in-all a great meal. The only caution is that if you are looking for an affordable lobster dinner this is not the place to find it in this town--approx $20/pound.

The inn is set on the main strip of Shediac, so it is a little noisy in the evening (you may have to keep the windows closed for sleeping), but as long as you know that (and don't then complain about the traffic) you'll enjoy it as much as anywhere in town.

With only a couple of reviews; both of which were negative, I thought I'd chime in (even before we finish our two-night stay) to put a good word in for this lovely find in Shediac.

Room Tip: ensure you have a second full bed---not a cot if you are travelling with children
  • Stayed August 2011, traveled with family
1 Thank CP1989
Newmarket, Canada
Reviewed August 12, 2010

I had bad experience when I travelled to Shediac NB on Aug 6th lunch @ L'Auberge Gabriele Inn. They brought me & my husband to patio and we sat there more then 10 minutes but no one came to help us. They had 2 waitresses kept passes us but no intention to help us to taking our order even any drink. After 10 minutes I talked with one of the waitress she told would like someone to help us. Yes they did, but only served us 2 glasses of water and passed to the other table who came after us 5 minutes later. She served them a glass of water and took their order. When I thought she might return us to take our order, but she wasn't she went to the farther table to help the other customer and went away again. We were so mad and decided to left this restaurant. I felt they completely insulted us. I would love to told everyone here don't even go dining or stay in the rough and impolite restaurant.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled as a couple
3 Thank Tieny

Travelers are raving about these Shediac hotels

alberta
Reviewed September 21, 2008

We stayed in the Cormier room. First, we weren't greeted all that great. Not that they were rude or anything, just that the we felt the atmosphere should be more welcoming for a bed and breakfast. The room was clean but there were a few things we were disappointed in. First there was a hole in the wall beside the light switch that was not patched. There were tacky wire shelves that were attached to the wall. The website says that the rooms "bring you back in time"...and I think a nice wood wardrobe would have been more with the time frame...not wire shelving. The tv was really small. The bathroom was big enough, but there was no counter to put your things. I had to put my makeup bag on the floor while I got ready.
They served supper there. My husband had the '1 pound lobster'...and it was the smallest lobster we'd ever seen. When we asked if we could put the supper on our room tab, she said we could if we paid for the whole room right there - but either way, she said she had to 'cash out' her restaurant tab. Which did not make any sense to us. We had breakfast there as well, which again had to be paid separate. So we ended up having to pay 3 separate bills for the one location.
And once again, when we were leaving, although they were not rude, I didn't not get the feel of a 'down home bed and breakfast'. More a feeling that it was just a job...

• Liked — the price was ok
  • Disliked — I didn't get the feel of a bed and breakfast atmosphere
  • Stayed September 2008, traveled as a couple
    • Check in / front desk
1 Thank dragonvale
Also consider these accommodations in or near Shediac
Hotel Shediac
Gaudet Chalet & Motel Shediac
The Waterfront Motel
The Waterfront Motel
#2 of 2 in Haute Aboujagane

Been to Hotel & Restaurant Gabriele Inn? Share your experiences!