“Buttermilk chicken = heaven”

Saint John Ale House
Reserve with OpenTable
Saint John Ale House is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #6 of 247 Restaurants in Saint John
Good for: Business meetings, Local cuisine, Large groups, Bar scene
Dining options: Late Night, Lunch, Dinner, Breakfast, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Cross street: Union street,City Rd onto Smythe St
Transit: Situated directly on the Saint John waterfront,we are perfectly situated for all types of travel, including the Saint John Transit. There is a taxi stand in front of the Hilton Hotel. We are connected via indoor pedway to Market Square retail,business complex and Harbour station.
Description: We are a progressive pub with loads of local craft beers on tap and in the bottle. We have great Chef Jesse Vergen that seeks out the very best of local ingredients to present an ever evolving menu. We are cutting edge, fun and entertaining...seek a reservation online or give us a shout. We sit on the waterfront in Saint John with great entertainment and a big patio for fun all summer long!
Reviewed November 21, 2012

After a full-day board meeting, our group was in need of a good meal. We found it at the Saint John Ale House. The restaurant was fairly quiet on a Sunday evening, which worked out well for us, as we could be as noisy as we liked with no fear of bothering other diners. The table ordered a variety of dishes. I started with "The Cure", a plate of cured meats and pickled vegetables that was VERY nicely balanced in flavours and spiciness.

For a main course, I had the buttermilk chicken with fries. Very crispy hot fries, which was great, and the buttermilk chicken tenders were superb. Moist, flavourful and not OVER battered. Other members of our group enjoyed their dishes as well, and the garlic mashed potatos seemed to be a big hit as a side.

For dessert, I tried the apple crumble, and also had a morsel of the Guiness cake. The Guiness chocolate cake was lovely, but I was happy I had chosen the crumble, as the richness of the cake might have been a bit much after the appetizer and main course.

Had local beers -- Picaroon's Amber Ale and the Winter Warmer. The seasonal beer was particularly nice.

My meal was somewhere around $53, which is a significant meal, but with a couple of drinks, an appetizer, a main and a dessert, is not out of line at all, especially considering the quality of the food.

Service was good; a trifle slow, but patient given the boisterous group. Overall, a great experience and I'd go back anytime I was in Saint John.

Peter S, Owner at Saint John Ale House, responded to this reviewResponded December 21, 2012

Well, looks like you've picked on of my favourite meal combos, glad you had a chance to experience the whole thing. Thanks for the note!

Reviewed November 17, 2012

They have the most awesome lobster roll! A bit pricy but worth it for a treat, if you like lobster! Also had the chocolate cake..it too is very good. Ask to sit by the window... nice water view!

We certainly pride ourselves on our Lobster roll, it's not an everyday lunch kinda Lobster roll, but one made with loads of chunky fresh Lobster and fit for a king. Right now the Bay of Fundy season is on and it's the best time of year for Lobster. Hand shucked by our skilled chefs..nothing better! Thanks for the props.

Reviewed November 12, 2012

My wife and I were uptown and decided to have lunch at here, since we had not eaten here in a while. The service was slow from getting seated to paying our bill. That said the food was very good but a little pricey for lunch.

Thanks for the review, we have had a slight shift in Employees in November..back to full force now. Cheers,

Reviewed November 3, 2012 via mobile

My boyfriend and I moved to Saint John recently and have been trying out a bunch of the local restaurants, I think we found a winner! They had a bunch of local beers from the maritimes (good for him) and some really tasty mixed drinks (good for me, the seadog martini was fantastic) which I found a little overpriced but not more so than liquor in other restaurants. The food seemed a little pricey while looking at the menu but when I got my plate I understood why! I only managed to finish half my plate of buttermilk chicken (which was delicious) so I had it packed up and now I'll have a tasty lunch tomorrow, too! Our waitress was very pleasant and the atmosphere was nice too! This will be our new date spot :)

Love having new "Locals", we are always improving and changing all our menus..especially our beer menu. If you're interested, we will be tapping our 200th Cask Ale on January 17th.

Reviewed October 29, 2012

The quality of the fresh ingredients really shines through. The cuts of meat are some of the best I have ever had. I chose a rib-eye with on a bed of mash, Yorkshire pudding, veg and sauce.the steak was enormous 12oz and simply melted and so full of flavour, all washed down with a glass of very agreeable Reisling as recommended by the very friendly and knowledgable server. Lovely location by the harbour, and a lovely relaxed atmosphere. I would say if in Saint John please pay this place a visit you won't be disappointed even if its for a few beers

Thanks for the review, we use fresh and locally sourced beef..Atlantic Beef is some of the best in Canada and we're lucky to have access to it and of course Fresh is Best!! See you on your next trip!