“Very pleasant”

Cuisines: Steakhouse, Canadian, Grill
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed July 1, 2012

A tad pricey, but overall a lovely meal, particularly the steak. In fact, until we ate at Oliva's in Prague, this would have been one of the best restaurant steaks I've eaten.

Reviewed June 30, 2012

We were traveling from the USA, looking for dinner and a cocktail. We were told to ask for the pub menu. Prices were a little pricey. I was trying to order a healthy option so I tried the stir fry with wild rice, broccoli and blackened chicken. I should have asked questions on how it was served. It was covered in soy I think. It was really salty for my taste. I did not eat it and waited for others to finish their meal. Nicky noticed that I did not touch the meal. He asked if it was okay. He handled this situation so professionally. He quickly offered another dish for me. He brought out a wonderful spinach salad with strawberries. He was awesome! I am in the service industry so it was nice to see how he handled this issue. Thanks, Nicky!!

Review collected in partnership with Wyndham Hotel Group
Reviewed May 20, 2012

Sometimes you just want a burger or pasta dish. There are times however when you want to try something a bit different and unpredictable. Come to Church Street if you fall in the former. This restaurant offers dependable options, but nothing that would make you stop and say, "Hmmm...I must, must try this."

Recently my husband and I came here and the menu almost made me yawn. We did ask for the pub menu, which I know usually has standard fare. In recent years though, pub menus have started to get more creative in what they offer. I wish Church Street would take this approach. I had the Canterbury Chicken, which is basically a chicken burger with bacon. My garlic mashed potatoes were great. My husband had the maple chicken curry pasta which was also very good.

We would have gotten an appetizer but it took our server so incredibly long to take our drink order that we thought that thsi would take too long.

So overall the food here is very good, but not that memorable and if the place is slightly on the busy side, it may take your server awhile to take your order.

Reviewed April 20, 2012

Came here on a suggestion of a coworker. Was thoroughly disappointed with the quality of the food. Wait staff was friendly enough, though not as efficient as I would expect. This was partly due to the fact that we were there with a party of 12. Ordered the mussels for apps and baseball sirloin for the main. Seeing as how I was on the east coast and everyone raves about the seafood, I had to give the mussels a try. Quite honestly, I could make better at home. Mussels did not come piping hot and some were shrivelled up that seemed to indicate that they weren't fresh. Some were quite tough and the broth that it came in wasn't the most flavourful. I will say this though: the portion was quite generous. On to the main. Sirloin was sizeable enough (8 oz.) but that's about it for the good points. Meat was not of great quality, was done the way I like it but I would prefer my steak to be at least warm, not room temperature. When I finished, there wasn't the pool of juice on my plate that would normally be there for a medium rare steak.

I did check out the reviews of this place prior to going here and if this is the best that Saint John has to offer, I would suggest heading over to a bar and ordering burger and fries at a fraction of the cost.

Reviewed February 11, 2012

I returned in Feb 2012. Had not been back in 2 years. My steak was cold, had no flavor, horrible.

Eat apps and have drinks, don't be fooled by atmosphere, the food has been bad forever.

Great place for drinks...

1  Thank Dee B