“If you don't know Thai food ...then maybe you can eat there.”
Review of Lemongrass

Lemongrass
Ranked #12 of 254 Restaurants in Saint John
Cuisines: Thai
Dining options: Late Night, Dinner, Lunch, Delivery, Reservations
Description: Authentic Thai Fare & Pub Fare Craft beer, Heated Patio, Live Music
Reviewed July 25, 2010

I had the phad thai which I have had better at a cheap take out. It was dry , bland and tasted mostly like lime. My friends had the butter chicken which was mostly tomato paste and golden curry which was quite good. My husband had the cashew chicken with local veggies and it was yummy. The money bags (appetizer) were good but it is hard to screw up deep fried. The pop is so watered down there and they gave us plastic cups to drink out of. I did not pay for my phad thai as I told the waitress it was super dry so they told us they would take it off the bill. The staff is great, friendly, and prompt. Mixed drinks are pretty good there and many beer selections. It is better place to get pub food and watch a band now than it is a Thai restaurant. I would recommend what they call Peppers pub but not Lemongrass.

1  Thank hotcandie6

Reviewed July 20, 2010

Our food arrived quite quickly....I guess that's because the restaurant, or is it a bar now was empty...on a Saturday lunch? The food had virtually no taste....but plenty of texture in the undercooked mung bean noodles in the salad rolls. Where was the mint and basil and or cilantro? This is hardly Thai food...in fact we're not really sure what that was. Pad Thai was very very boring. No spark of vinegar or fresh herbs except for a few wilted sad leaves of cilantro which were left to die under a heat lamp. Rice was cooked well and the portions were large but with such lack of flavour we couldn't eat that much. The bathrooms were absolutely horrific. Dark and very very dirty...we won't be returning. Sorry.

1  Thank travellingchef1
Reviewed July 1, 2010

Every time we're in Saint John we make it a point to stop in to the Lemongrass. If we don't order a full meal, we at least order a few appetizers and a cold beverage. Location is great, service is always good and prices are very reasonable. We recommend the moneybags!

1  Thank src04605
Reviewed May 16, 2010

Lemongrass has moved from its quirky Princess Street location to Market Square. I haven't been since they moved, but went several times to their old location. It looks as though they have a patio on the boardwalk, which could be fun or could be really noisy. Only time will tell.

While not in the same class as Suwanna, the food is pretty good Thai. They do some twists on the standard Thai dishes, which may throw some for a loop, but I really enjoyed the variety myself.

1  Thank rebeccasmom
Reviewed May 8, 2009

There is a good variety of dishes for sampling. For example I had chicken and galangal soup, hot and sour chicken soup, and also wonton soup; however, the first was too oily, the second nice and hot, and the third too salty. The grilled vegetables sounded good but are disappointing: too oily, with too few vegetables. Coconut rice on the side is fragrant and tasty, but appears made with coconut cream, again making the dish too heavy. The bright spot is chicken satay, and also the money purses -- both are excellent, and the peanut sauce, and sweet chili sauce, is good. Overall, this is innovative and the restaurant is beautiful. I just wish the food was lighter.