“Filthy Rooms and Rude Owners”
Review of Hillside Motel

Hillside Motel
Ranked #11 of 19 Hotels in Saint John
Reviewed July 5, 2011

My wife booked the room believing the photos showed on the Internet. The room was so small to hardly accomodate the bed, and a table which was shaking. It was a non-smoking unit as per the owners but I could smell the smoke as soon as I entered the room. I said to her that I dont think I want to stay here and would like my money back. She said she would still charge me the price for 2 nights as the reservation has to be cancelled before 48 hours. I made a mistake of booking it as per the fake room photos on the Internet, and had to pay one night's money but didnt even spend 5 mins in the room. The owner was so rude and arrogant, and thought her rooms were similar to the 5 star hotels.
I wanted to post my views so that no one else repeats this mistake, and end up losing money like I did.
Thanks
Bill

• Stayed: July 2011, traveled with family
5  Thank BillDempsey40502
Hillsidekant, Manager at Hillside Motel, responded to this reviewResponded July 15, 2011

Dear Guest,
Feels so sorry for your experience at our facility " Hillside Motel". But all the rooms are non smoking. Management policy for cancellation is 24 hours prior to check-in for no charges to occur. We strive hard to make every Guests stay " A Pleasant stay at our facility in all the auspects of their travel plans."

There are newer reviews for Hillside Motel

Reviewed July 5, 2011

Stayed here one night while traveling through to Halifax. Everything was clean and comfortable and the exterior was inviting. I found the staff friendly and helpful. The furniture is dated and the kitchenette is dates also. I didn't use it but I assume it works. For $60 I think it was worth it.

• Stayed: July 2011
3  Thank Joe W
Reviewed April 30, 2011

I checked the reviews, advertisement misleading, filthy rooms, junky furniture, bedding were smelly, the kitchen was a joke and coffee machine i did not even try. Wanted to move out after an hour, owner refused to return money. I am never going back to this place.

Room Tip: Try other places nearby.
Stayed: April 2011, traveled on business
3  Thank JimRil
Reviewed February 26, 2011

Good Day everybody,Travel Troll here.My husband and I were looking for a last minute get away,just one night. We live an hour away in Fredericton,and since a storm was coming the next day,we figured we better not go to far away from home. When we arrived there was no front desk staff.Whoever was there left and their mother was left behind to man the home front.She did not speak a word of English and wasn't even that apologetic about it,but I did feel kinda bad for her.I made my reservation on expedia,and for $60 not a bad rate for off season,we took advantage of it. There was no balcony in our room,and we have room 5. The room was cleanish,but very dated,not much has changed since the late 70's early 80's,very kitch,but somebody was trying very hard to maintain. The bedspread was thin and faded from years of wear,the view was not of the city,but more the industrial section(factories)of the city.WiFi was 95%non-existent,it kept cutting out.The stove,mini-fridge and microwave in the room was old,but clean.The heater in the room did not heat,so after a few hours we had to turn the oven on to knock the chill out of the air. No coffee,but the employee bought me a coffee filter full of coffee and a jar of cream for the morning,no continental breakfast,and the smell of tomcat was obvious in the room,we tried to chalk it up to low-tide or maybe outside,one of the factories but,no,at one time a cat got in and even with hard elbow grease,was still lingering.We are supporters of mom & pop establishments, The service was not good,although the woman was apologetic,did I mention we waited for about 20minutes for her to arrive? the location itself was close to restaurants, the towels in the bathroom were very white and clean,the bathmat was moldy. The TV was a older 19' and the batteries were help in with scotch tape. It really is a diamond in the rough.The place was small,on a hillside,no balcony/dependable WiFi. Its a shame,a place with "good bones" is deteriorating so quickly. We had higher hopes for this seeming quant hillside getaway, but we were more than happy to make our get away from there.

• Stayed: February 2011, traveled as a couple
5  Thank traveltroll74
Reviewed November 18, 2010

we stayed at this hotel during a three month trip through the maritimes. The location was great, the manager Rakesh Kant went out of his way to ensure our stay was great. He recommended restaurants that were great. We would stay here again. It's not 5 star but clean and comfortable with helpful staff.

• Stayed: August 2010, traveled as a couple
3  Thank dosky
Reviewed October 21, 2010

We arrived really late and they were nice enough to leave the door open for us. The room was comfortable and spacious - view of the ocean - full kitchen with mini fridge - staff is very friendly and helpful. I would definitely stay here again on my next visit to Saint John NB.

• Stayed: October 2010, traveled with friends
3  Thank junebug1984
Reviewed October 14, 2010

This motel was my first and i would recommend it to any who are visiting or staying in saint john, Nb. I thought motels wouls be sdirty creepy and what not - like they are portrayed in the movies but i was wrong. Staff is very flexible, welcoming, and friend. Do stay here for great rates and a mesmirizing view!

• Stayed: October 2010