“Fantastic local produce cooked by a top notch chef”
Review of East Coast Bistro

East Coast Bistro
Ranked #1 of 241 Restaurants in Saint John
Cuisines: Canadian
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Bristol, United Kingdom
“Fantastic local produce cooked by a top notch chef”
Reviewed September 25, 2013

I had the privilege of dining here whilst on a travel agent tour of new Brunswick earlier this month and have to say that the chef was completely passionate about her food and in particular where the ingredients had been sourced. We had scallops to start with which were to die for followed by lamb which was so succulent it melted in my mouth. Pudding was a tart with homemade ice cream and the wine which was also local complimented everything perfectly. I recommend the East coats bistro if you are looking for a really special meal cooked with care and passion.

• Visited September 2013

“Best food in Saint John”
Reviewed September 22, 2013 via mobile

Found out after i ate here that the chef had trained at a top London (UK) restaurant... which explained why the food was so amazing. Great relaxed atmosphere, amazing value and the portions are a descent but sensible size... which meant I could enjoy my starter, main and dessert! The best food I had during my week in Saint John.

Visited June 2013
Saint John, Canada
“One of the best restaurants in the city!”
Reviewed August 28, 2013

I would dare call this THE best restaurant in the city, if not for the decor (mainly the chairs). My friend and i ate here a few weeks ago. The service was friendly, professional, and was extremely knowledgeable in knowing what exactly are in the dishes! My friend has a food allergy but our server was able to provide excellent alternatives immediately! I had the arctic char , perfectly cooked, and i would say it was the best fish I've ever tasted! My friend had the chicken breast, which, interestingly enough was stuffed! Haven't seen a good stuffed chicken breast in a restaurant in quite a while. The price was excellent for that kind of level of food. Ranging in between $13-25 dollars. I will definitely be returning soon!

2 Thank Marcus S
Rothesay, Canada
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Super Meal”
Reviewed August 25, 2013

Last night we had a wonderful meal at ECB.
--the 10 oz. steak was delicious and perfectly cooked
--the ECB salad with scallops and prawns was super
--the service was excellen

One suggestion: Please add a good Chardonnay to your wine list (eg: Sterling Napa Valley Reserve 2006 or Beringer Private Reserve)

Anne and Earle

Saint John, Canada
“Foodie haven/heaven in Saint John”
Reviewed August 15, 2013

My wife and I eat at ECB regularly. We've had almost everything on the menu and can wholeheartedly recommend it. It is the best spot in Saint John for gourmet cooking. In fact, the cooking is so good that it makes up for the decor in need of a refresh and the spotty service. (More on these later.)

Last night, we had the Mussels in Red Thai broth and the Yam fritters to start. The mussels are always exquisitely cooked - perfectly soft and the broth is perfect - spicy enough to keep you coming back (it could almost be a soup on its own), but not overwhelming the shellfish. The yam fritters are funny because I wouldn't normally select them but they are stunning. They are lightly fried and sit on a bed of spicy, curried chickpeas. The flavours and textures are subtle yet pronounced. For our main courses, my wife had the Cod and Pork Belly and I had the Arctic Char special. The Cod was delicious - precisely cooked (ECB is very good at cooking seafood); it came on a bed of black lentils which were suffused with the apple cider - a great combination of flavours. The Arctic Char, which I've only ever had at ECB in various specials is a great dish - very well cooked and flavourful. The pasta is homemade and although my wife and I debated whether the pasta really brought out the best in the fish, I still cleared my plate without any difficulty. For dessert, my wife had the lemon tart, which they've recently modified to have a thinner crust - excellent decision. It's a lovely finish to the meal, clearing your pallet. Personally, I would like it to be a little more tart - slightly more lemony, but that may be personal preference. I had a selection of 3 sorbets: blood orange, raspberry and green apple. I would have liked the green apple to be sharper, but the blood orange was epic. Stunningly good - it almost tastes more like a blood orange than a blood orange. And the raspberry (a standard) is always excellent.

We always find the food very well executed at ECB - so nice to have someone not overcook the delightful seafood which is endemic to this area! Often the specials can be experimental, and sometimes don't work out, but since the food is well-cooked, we're happy to eat it anyways. It's nice having new taste experiences. If you are less interested in having your taste buds challenged, stick to the Steak Frites or ECB Burger - both of which are stunning. As well, from what I can understand, the chefs are happy to modify things if you aren't so sure.

The decor, of course needs work - for the level of the food, I wish the appearance of the place lived up to the same standard. The chairs are a little worn, but if you can see past appearances, I guarantee that the food is worth it. The service can be a little too informal - I don't want it to be straight laced, but when you spend that amount of money, you don't want people reaching in front of you to place cutlery or clear plates. The staff are friendly however and attentive.

If you are any kind of foodie, you should go to ECB!