“Wonderful Experience of Canada”

Homeport Historic B&B / Inn c 1858
Ranked #4 of 14 Saint John B&B and Inns
Reviewed October 23, 2010

This was our first visit to Canada to visit our daughter in nearby Fredericton and we took a few days out to explore the area and spent three nights with Ralph and Karen. Our expectations were met and, indeed, exceeded, despite staying in the "dark and dingy" room described in a review below. We found the room to be comfortable and relaxing and we enjoyed the comings and goings of the cruise ships. Ralph and Karen were charming hosts and Ralph's knowledge and helpful suggestions for visiting the local area were very useful. It was unfortunate that the walkway into town was closed due to roadworks but we were able to walk along Douglas Avenue to the Reversing Falls Restaurant where we enjoyed two fantastic meals and sampled the Canadian wine. The breakfasts prepared by Jenn were excellent and different each day and I am sure contributed to the 7lbs in weight I put on in the two weeks I was in this wonderful country! A very special place where we would certainly recommend to family and friends.

• Stayed: October 2010, traveled as a couple
3  Thank IloveCanadaDevon
globetrotter3545, Owner at Homeport Historic B&B / Inn c 1858, responded to this reviewResponded November 5, 2010

Hi Devon Couple and Thank you for the kind review. I am truly pleased you enjoyed the property. And Thank you for posting a photo taken from your window of a cruise ship in the Harbour. I find it fasinating that you had such a great stay with us in the Harbour Master Suite and the previous reviewer apparently had such an awful time. I wonder if I would have ever been able to please them.

I am pleased to report that the fire damaged and derilict building across the street and half a block away that has been such an eyesore all summer has now been wonderfully restored with new paint a new roof and hopefull once inside renovations are complete a great new tenant.

I hope to have you back with us again
Ralph Holyoke
Owner and operator (Also know as chief cook AND bottle washer)

Reviewed August 31, 2010

We based our stay at this B&B on its description and the comments of other travelers. What we got is not what was portrayed. The location may be central and convenient, but it is in a depressed neighborhood (thus the locked doors 24/7) overlooking a working harbor and highways. The grounds and buildings need upkeep and maintenance. The common areas are quite nice; however, the bedrooms were tired; old carpets, paint peeling, dark and if you are sensitive to dog odor, it is quite distinguishable in the upstairs hallway.
The bedroom we stayed in had a sitting area. The leather sofa was so old I would not even put in our son's frat house. The two chairs needed new cushions and the throw pillows and coverlet seemed to have come from a used store. While the bathtub was claw footed, it was surrounded by a dollar-store white plastic curtain.
The owners are quite friendly, gracious and accommodating, but they need to spend on making the place a cozy historic B&B rather than purchasing nearby buildings.
A"luxurious, five star" B&B it was not! So be wary of the adjectives used in advertisements. It was quite disappointing and expensive compared to the other B&Bs we stayed in throughout N.S. and P.E.I.

• Stayed: August 2010, traveled as a couple
1  Thank jjl1994
globetrotter3545, Owner at Homeport Historic B&B / Inn c 1858, responded to this reviewResponded September 2, 2010

Hi All

I am floored at the condition that this brand new reviewer appears to have found our property. I will try to address some of the outrageous comments as best as I can
Our neigbour hood is showing its age the worst of which is a pair of homes across the street and a half block away. They are boarded up due to a severe fire earlier this year and due to a Historic designation and limited funds the owner is limited on what he can do to facilitate repairs. I cannot control the condition of this property.

Yes we are overlooking the Harbour and many of our guests sit for hours in the yard or the rooms watching cruise ships and other vessels quietly slip in or out to the Bay of Fundy.

The old carpet in this room was installed in May of this year I am sorry I could not have something newer for this guest. we have replace carpet in most of the rooms over the past year to four years the other are no older than that so I will refute this comment as completely false.

Peeling paint- Yes this I will agree with and do apologize for. On one window in this room the Air Conditioner malfunctioned and slowly leaked water onto the painted wood sill and caused the paint to lift. This will be corrected as soon as the season is over and we are able to properly repai rge sill and paint. We do not do this work during he season to reduce the odors caused by paint and cleaners and the sensitivity of many of our guest.

Dark room. This is the Harbour Master Suite and We have had comments on this in other reviews on this site both positive and negative. So we replaced the light bulbs in all the lamps with higher wattage bulbs. There are two large windows facing morning sunrise and the room is very bright in the mornings but as a result it does not get the direct evening sun. That is why we have four lamps all with multiple bulbs and two over head lights in this suite. what more can I do?

As to the furniture I am at a loss for words the leather sofa is not showroom new and does show wear typical of an expensve leather piece of furniture. The antique arm chair was covered and rebuilt at considerable cost 6 years ago. We do care about the property and the condition of the amenities we provide Again I am at a loss for words as to the harshness and accuracy of this review. We do not buy Dollar store shower curtains They are top quality cloth that are laundered regularly. We have a very mineral rich water in the area that leaves a greenish tint after three or four days A plastic curtain would not last a month here.

This Harbour Master suite has the most masculine look of the ten rooms and suites at Homeport. It is clean it is comfortable and it is in good repair and I am sorry it was not what this guest was looking for but we have strived to provide 10 unique rooms each with a differnt look and feel. These are all well represented on our web site with photos and description and with comments made by past guest on this site .

So reader as in the word of this reviewer carefull of what you read.

Reviewed August 21, 2010

This was the first B & B that I ever stayed at, and it was wonderful. Not only was it homey but it was very professional, with good security - the outdoor access is always locked. My room was the Crowsnest, with a king sized bed and a pull out couch for my son. There was a Whirlpool tub - the bathroom was so big, almost as large as a small bedroom. We had a great view of the city. The decor was amazing, period furniture throughout. Lovely common areas. Driving instructions were readily available. Great experience for a first time B & B.

• Stayed: August 2010, traveled with family
Reviewed August 12, 2010

Homeport was everything it is advertised to be. As we had a car, location was convenient.

Reviewed August 7, 2010

Homeport Historic Bed & Breakfast is essentially a small luxury hotel minus the snobbery and exorbitant prices. The hotel's interior is stunningly beautiful -- large, architecturally striking public rooms downstairs and exquisite bedrooms upstairs. Ours was beautiful - very large, airy, elegantly furnished and decorated, and supremely quiet. We had arrived at Homepart completely frazzled because our car had broken down on the way, and the energetic owner did everything he could to help us deal with renting a car, arranging to get our own car fixed, and entertaining us with very funny stories about traveling as we decompressed. If we hadn't had to catch the ferry the next day, we would have happily stayed longer.

2  Thank Joan091
Reviewed July 29, 2010

Two century homes joined and turned into a cosy, comfortable B&B. Set high on a hill overlooking the harbour and mouth of the river, the view is one of a kind. The best place in the city to watch the fireworks on July 1st

Reviewed July 27, 2010

Upon arrival I was was delighted with this interesting historic bed and breakfast and the expansive view.
My husband required hospitalization a few days into our stay. Doubly nervewracking for me, being out of province and away from home and family.
Karen and Ralph were extraordinarily kind, supportive, thoughtful and aware. Thank you for all your support!

• Stayed: July 2010, traveled on business