“Appreciating history”

Homeport Historic B&B / Inn c 1858
Ranked #4 of 14 Saint John B&B and Inns
Reviewed July 30, 2013

If you only have one night to stay in New Brunswick then it has to be at Homeport.
It is a very stylish home-from-home [if you lived in the 1800's] full of wonderful furnishings and objects tastefully blended with modern facilities to provide a perfect taste of how good hostelry can be done.
Every huge bedroom has a character and style of its own with thoughtful little touches such as a dish of mints on the desk alongside a wellread old book of stories and poetry.
Our appreciation of history and the past was enhanced by the obvious care and attention and pride our hosts Ralph and Karen had taken in renevating the 2 old buildings and joining them into one large but still comfortable hotel.
We would loved to have stayed longer and made more use of the fabulous new lounge with views across the harbour, but then my husband and Ralph would have talked 'cars' for ever and we would not have had time for sightseeing.
Mention classic cars to Ralph and you've a friend for life. We were fortunate enough to have actually appeared with a classic car in one of his books. An amazing coincidence forever remembered.
Breakfast was the usual exquisite home-cooked affair as served by B&B's as opposed to regular chain hotels but with the added bonus of sharing the table with different fellow travellers each day, all with their own interesting stories to tell.
Saint John itself didn't have a great deal to offer but the nearby Bay of Fundy is a must visit especially if you can catch it when the tide is out and get down on the beach.
A note worth mentioning was the atrocious dining experience we had at the Hilton in the harbour. When you get a lamb shanks diner within 10 minutes of ordering it then you know it's not the cuisine of quality. The prawn curry was just as bad. Fortunately the manager was gracious enough to accept the complaint and dismiss the charge for the lamb.
On departure from Homeport Ralph is brilliant and helpful with advice on other unique B&B's and will even book them ahead for you.
It is certainly the only place we'd stay in New Brunswick.

1  Thank jareynolds
globetrotter3545, Owner at Homeport Historic B&B / Inn c 1858, responded to this reviewResponded August 5, 2013

Thanks for the very comprehensive overview of our Homeport B&B. You really covered the lot and I am so pleased you enjoyed your stay. And I really did enjoy our discussions on the little British cars with your other half. So much fun to find somebody of like (somewhat twisted) mind when it comes to vintage and classic cars. I think we entertained you pretty well.

Sorry the meal at the Hilton was not up to standards it is not a place I would likely go for a fine dining experience but I am glad they made it right in the end.

I do hope we can have you back. evenings in the parlour with guest like your selves make the long days in service really worth while.

Reviewed July 28, 2013

We booked a trip through Expedia for three nights. We received a confirmation from Expedia that our booking was successful, in fact the night before we were to leave, I received an e-mail from Expedia that confirmed our reservation. Just to make sure, I called Homeport and spoke with one of the owners who told us that they did not have the reservation and Expedia had notified them that we were notified about the canceled booking. After posting a not so nice posting about this property, and after finding out that Expedia tried to cover themselves and blame it on the owners, I am writing here to make it right. The owners did everything they could and apologized to us (when they really didn't have to) when it was Expedia's fault. I would definitely stay with them the next time I am in St. John. But I would call them directly!

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Bernadette K

Hi Bernadette K

I am so glad we got that mess sorted out but am very sorry your trip was not as planned due to the mix-ups by Expedia. These third party booking agents that have become so popular are often the source of mix-ups that are usually thrust back on the individual properties to sort out.
Most small places like us are reluctant participants with the third party agents.

They have a done a great job of inserting themselves between the tourist and the B&B or Inn and they charge the property a minimum of 15% of the room rate to show our property and if we choose not to show on their site we run the very serious risk of just disappearing altogether and not being found. So we are very much between a rock and a hard place.

I agree with you fully when you suggested call the property directly to find the best availability and the best rate.

Ralph

Reviewed July 25, 2013

I have been to New Brunswick a few times, staying at Homeport has made St. John my favorite place to stay in N.B. We read a few reviews before we stayed here, almost all were good. Someone mentioned that the Latour Room which is where I wanted to stay had no door on the bathroom., because of this review we picked a different room. Should have asked the owner, because of course there is a door. Anyway great people, great views, great breakfast...you can't go wrong with this place. We stayed in June 2013. Thanks so much.

3  Thank smoo1956
globetrotter3545, Owner at Homeport Historic B&B / Inn c 1858, responded to this reviewResponded July 27, 2013

Hi Smoo

Thanks for the review and pointing out that in fact there is a door on the bathroom of the LaTour room. I think this just shows how accurate some reviews are. Unfortunately we more than often pay the price of a poor review when in fact it rarely resembles the truth to the matter. I regularly ask folks where they are coming from when the check in and it always surprizes me how few can remember where they slept last night.. anyway thanks for the review Always appreciated And we hope to have back soon.

Ralph Holyoke owner and operator (16 years and going strong)

Reviewed July 21, 2013

Finally found this gem, not because of their directions ( they were great) but because the correct exit off the main road is closed due to repairs. However were enthusiasically greated by Ralph who showed us around. This is really a cross between a friendly small B&B and a family run hotel, but none the less just a welcoming, particularly when he said we had been upgraded (free of charge!!) the the Grand Harbour Suite, And what a suite it was with an enourmous double bed, a well equipped bathroom, but best of all a lounge with stupendous views across the harbour, In fact we could have sat there all evening . Breakfast was a generous affair, with again everything you could ask for with freshly made pastries, cereals,fruit juice as well as alovely cooked omlette. Ralph even provided us with suggested ideas for the morning before we caught the ferry. All together a great stay and I would certainly recommend it

Room Tip: view from harbour suite wonderful
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank DeeDean12
globetrotter3545, Owner at Homeport Historic B&B / Inn c 1858, responded to this reviewResponded July 22, 2013

Hi and Thanks so much for taking some time to write the nice review. As we hit the peak of our tourist season in July and are going flat out every day it is wonderful to have words of encouragement to keep us going. Yea sorry about the road repairs they are a needed evil and we have been living with them for four years now BUT the end is in sight the projected finish is early fall 2013 so we are almost in the clear. And glad you liked the Harbour views from the Harbour master Suite That suite and the Veranda room are always popular choices. Priced right and best views in town. Hope to have you back soon
Ralph

Reviewed July 17, 2013

Ideally placed.for a pit stop en route from the Digby ferry to the more picturesque Funday Bay. The owner seemed a little jaded but the ladies made up for it with a delicious breakfast.

The decor of the rooms is in keeping with the hotel's name - old worldly, lots of antique knick knacks, rolled top bath.

Large sunny communal room where drinks and snacks are available,

The owners love of dogs is evident - so probably a good choice for fellow dog lovers.

Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple
3  Thank Jula C

Hi Jula C.

Thanks for the review glad you enjoyed breakfast and our property Sorry if I seemed jaded when we met. I guess sometimes going 15 hours a day, seven days a week for a few months may leave me a bit off my game. and sometimes I am just too rushed with one guest or another to get to all our guests on a one to one level. Fortunately these days are rare and it was certainly was not my intention to offend you in any way. It is not my usual performance mode.

Otherwise it sounds like you had a good visit to Homeport and for this I am pleased I hope to have you back someday.

Reviewed July 8, 2013

We first discovered this lovely placed when our beloved Sheltie was still alive and we needed pet friendly accommodation, but even though we now travel petless, we plan our trips between Massachusetts and Cape Breton to ensure an overnight stay in this charming B and B overlooking the harbor in St John. The Innkeepers, Ralph and Karen could not be more warm and welcoming, the rooms are tastefully furnished with period appropriate pieces, breakfast consists of a range of choices including homemade baked goods, fresh fruit, cereal, yogurt, and always some sort of hot cooked option (Ralph's eggs Benedict highly recommended when available).

Room Tip: You can see the various rooms on line and choose the one you'd prefer
3  Thank fauxpilgrim
globetrotter3545, Owner at Homeport Historic B&B / Inn c 1858, responded to this reviewResponded July 10, 2013

Thank you for taking the time to offer your experience at Homeport. It is very gratifying to me as the owner when folks take time to share with others their visit. We do carefully read these reviews and with our own in-house review forms we do act on comments and suggestions if we find we are lacking in services.

And thanks for adding a tip to visit our website to see complete details of all our rooms. Each of our rooms are unique in its décor and hopefully something will appeal to our prospective guests. You may also book your favorite room direct from our website

Reviewed May 30, 2013

My friend and I were only staying for 1 night in Saint John before heading up to PEI and Nova Scotia. Ralph greeted us at the door and answered all of our questions about Saint John. The actual home is very nice, and the rooms are all decorated. The main sitting room is nice. Our bedroom was more than adequate for us with 2 beds and a nice bathroom. Everything was very clean. The breakfast in the morning was blueberry pancakes with sausage along with fresh fruit and cinnamon rolls freshly made. Overall, a very pleasant stay!

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled with family