“Needs to try harder”

Ranked #8 of 20 Hotels in Saint John
Rochester, New York
“Needs to try harder”
Reviewed June 25, 2013

Needed a place to stay before I took the Saint John - Digby Ferry. Remembered staying at a motel on the hill several years ago. Pictures looked good. The pictures are accurate but not quite right. My unit was on the lower level. Very steep narrow drive to the back. All rooms off an enclosed porch which has the actual windows to the outside. Back wall of the unit is below grade.
Things didn't start well when I learned that, although my reservation was made through Hotels.com, it would not qualify for rewards points. Then, after driving down the drive, starting to cary my overnight bag to the room the doorknob came off in my hand. When I returned from dinner the solution had been to prop the door open. The room was very dark. There's an overhead fan with light combination, the bathroom light and a very unstable bedside lamp that had been moved to the vanity. Had to turn on the tv to get to bed after the overhead was off. My unit was below the owner's apartment. They rise early. The foot traffic was unending. The owner arises early, the hot water does not.
The wireless internet worked well.
There are other low cost motels in the area, some with complimentary breakfast. That's my destination next time.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank roadrun50

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (14)
Morrisonville, NY
Reviewed June 13, 2013

The owner was friendly and helpful, the room was very clean, the double bed was comfortable, the wi-fi worked. The room is quite small, and between the dark paneling and the fact that there is a windowed hall outside the room's only window it was a bit claustrophobic. This is an inexpensive, stop here on the way to somewhere else, independently owned place that I would consider staying in again.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled solo
1 Thank AdirondackBlue
Pune, Maharashtra, India
Reviewed June 8, 2013

Luxury like Hotel... Comfort like home... :)

For me this place was like "a home away from home"...
The Motel is very nice, clean & fresh and that too in a best price..
Motel staff is very friendy & Supportive, provides very necessary things..

But the best part is Motel's location and outside view..

I would suggest this one is really nice for Business, Family, and Saint John's Tour..

• Stayed May 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank Vipul S
Sydney, Australia
Reviewed March 22, 2013

Only had one interaction with staff while checking in, and the lady was pleasant and helpful.
The rooms were exactly what we needed for a quick overnight visit to Saint John...good bathroom, mini-fridge, tv, and comfortable bed for the night. Wifi worked all the time, even down the back where we were located.
Obviously this hotel is not in downtown, but this didn't matter to us as we had a car and was a quick 5 minute drive into town.
Nothing too special, but certainly nothing to complain about! For the price we paid, would stay again!

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
3 Thank Nick H
Nova scota
Reviewed August 28, 2012

I checked into this motel at 11pm and was forced to leave at 2:30am due to a broken pipe in the bathroom. I woke at 2am to a room full of steam and went to the office to notify the owners. The motel was full for the night so I personally had to find a place to go to with absolutely no help from the owner. . I got no apology,all i got was attitude from this woman!! The next morning I went back because I left something in the room. When I went to the office she told me that my credit card was being charged $155.00 for the plumber, and she said that I had CUT THE PIPE and she had called the police!!!! I am a 58 year old woman and was in town to visit my sister in the hospital. I was in shock!!! I do not carry tools around with me to vandalize hotel rooms. I had to wait for the police to arrive and give my statement. I later found out that I was not charged for the plumbing fee because they had no proof, but I was still charged for my nights stay. I paid the fee, and chaulked this up to a very bad experience and moved on. I sincerely hope that people read these reviews and take into consideration that if you stay at this place you could be in for a very bad time.The woman who owns this motel is by far the rudest person I have ever encountered in my life.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled solo
6 Thank Sharon J
Hillcrest M, Manager at Hillcrest Motel, responded to this review, August 29, 2012
This is the response for the review posted above. The lady who claims to be 55-56 yrs. old, was asked to move out middle of the night because of the smoke smell and inappropriate noises from her room (2-3 people in a room with one bed) and complaints about that from guests staying beside her room.
We were threatened to give her money back, or she will post bad reviews as it was embarassing for her to be kicked out. But for us, our guest`s comfort comes first. The story mentioned above is fake and is a way to give a bad name to our business.
We are sorry about the inconvenience but we had to do our job.
Thanks,
Management
Port Hope, Canada
Reviewed August 27, 2012

We didn't expect too much from this motel, based on the location and price, but we were very pleasantly surprised. I have never stayed in such a clean room! I travel for business quite often, and usually stay in 3 to 4 star hotels, and they have never been this clean. The building is older, but really well maintained. The sort of funky 50's wood paneling shines! The hosts are a lovely young couple, very warm and friendly. The rooms all have a min fridge and mocrowave, and there is also coffee and a bit of breakfast food in the "lobby" in the morning. I would highly recommend this motel, and already have. OUr only complaint is that the sheets were a bit tired and pilled. While I can't give it 4 stars based on amenities, I'd give it 10 stars for cleanliness!

Room Tip: we stayed in one of the front rooms facing Manawoganish Rd. - no road noise that we heard, and a nic...