“"Beautiful Veiw"”
Review of Hilton Saint John

Hilton Saint John
Ranked #4 of 19 Hotels in Saint John
Reviewed January 5, 2012

My trip was for business, easy check in. I was impressed with the service I recieved when I arrived. I was looking around for a restaurant and wanted to have breakfast it was late afternoon, I was on a different time zone. The Manager requested the lobby restraunt to make me whatever I wanted. (French Toast) Very impressive. The room with a Bay view was very nice, beds comfortable room service excellent. You can access malls etc. right from hotel . I held my seminar downstairs and service and food was excellent. Would I stay again? Yes!

Room Tip: Get room with Bay view!
  • Stayed: November 2011, traveled on business
Dermot_Collins, Director of Sales at Hilton Saint John, responded to this reviewResponded February 7, 2012

Hope Toronto_Ontario
Thank you for your response. We are very pleased you enjoyed your stay with us. The views of the harbour and Bay are wonderful! Thank you for your positive comments on the comfort of the beds, the food and room service. We look forward to welcoming you back soon and wish you safe travels! Dermot

Write a ReviewReviews (1,072)

Reviewed November 17, 2011

I was at this hotel with a co-worker for a business trip. Checking in was quick and efficient. My room was on the fifth floor, on the bay side, really quiet, nice furniture, very comfy bed, you could tell it has been renovated. The only problem I have encountered was the slow service at breakfast. I don't feel you'll complain about the service if you opt for the buffet, but we did not really want to have a heavy breakfast that morning so we decided to order from the menu.

It took us a long time after we were seated to get the server's attention to finally order from the menu. Because I had a meeting and feared about being late, I asked for the check when we got our food. I put my credit card in sight so the server could see it and charge it....she never came. I got fed up of waiting and ended up charging it to my room. That totally ruined my plan to check out from the room and quickly leave the hotel to attend my meeting. I had to check out from the front desk to get my final bill. If I had not been there travelling on business, I would probably not have the same comments about the service. One more thing, the charge 14$ for wi-fi in your room, but it's free in the lobby. But still, this service should be offered, like in many other business hotels.

• Stayed: November 2011, traveled on business
Reviewed October 21, 2011

We stayed two nights at the Hilton and received very good service. We were upgraded to a bay view and could watch the tide change from our room!

The staff was very friendly, even giving us free breakfast vouchers because they could not upgrade us to a better room. Imagine that. We were very pleased with our room.

There is a parking charge of $20 per day, so that is a little steep, but that would be the only thing I can say against this property.

• Stayed: October 2011, traveled as a couple
Dermot_Collins, Director of Sales at Hilton Saint John, responded to this reviewResponded October 27, 2011

Allsgoodonesgone
Thank you for your review. We are very pleased to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us and were able to view the enjoy the harbour views and tidal changes from your room. Hilton breakfast is a feature of the Hilton brand and a great way to start your day! We hope to have the opportunity to welcome you again on your next trip to Atlantic Canada. We wish you safe travels. Dermot

Reviewed October 12, 2011

Clean and staff was friendly - hotel is starting to show signs of aging. Loved the fact that it was connected with a pedway system to other hotels and shopping in downtown Saint John. Little hard to get to thanks to all the road construction but that is only to make the city better.

• Stayed: October 2011, traveled on business
Dermot_Collins, Director of Sales at Hilton Saint John, responded to this reviewResponded October 13, 2011

Sheishaburger
Thank you for your review. We are pleased that you enjoyed you stay with us and appreciate your comments on the cleanliness and friendliness of our teammembers. Many guests comment on our great location and the accessibility of the uptown attractions. Good to hear that you found some time to explore the area! Thank you again. Dermot

Reviewed October 6, 2011

The hotel is located in the heart of the city, close to shops, restaurant and cruise port. This hotel is undergoing an extensive renovations with most guest rooms and lobby space being renovated. The new look is contemporary and fresh. They have the most amazing bed, pillows and linens. Rooms are equipped with in-room safe, mini-fridge and coffee maker. While I enjoyed the generous room size, there are a few things in the room that needs to be fixed. There was unsightly water damage on the ceiling, bathroom tiles and grout were not exactly clean, heater was not working properly as it only pumped cold air. Their coffee maker dripped not only coffee but sediment from something which was not appealing.

I like a few things about the hotel: free WiFi in the lobby, most rooms have some kind of Harbourview, the lobby lounge has dated decor but it offers amazing food, the hotel is connected to convention centre where we had most of our meetings.

Things that I don't like about the hotel: I requested for a room that is quiet but they gave me a room facing some building's fan or generator that produced some humming noise all night, so I did not get any sleep. After some bagging and nagging, they finally moved me to a room facing the water, a much quieter room. I must say that I am disappointed that the front desk staff was insensitive to my needs. All in all, it was not bad a stay.

• Stayed: October 2011

Trempel
Thank you for your very thorough review, We apologise sincerely for the service lapses you experienced while staying with us. Your difficulties with the front desk and room/bathroom issues have been addressed. Every effort will be made to ensure these do not reoccur. We appreciate your very positive notes on the room size, bed linen, and the great food in the Brigantine lounge. We are fortunate to have such a fantastic location overlooking the harbour and connected directly to the Convention Centre. Good to hear that you found it convenient for your meetings. Thank you again and we hope to have the opportunity to welcome you back again in the near future. Kind regards. Dermot

Reviewed October 3, 2011

Not impressed. You are paying for the view and the rooms are not clean or new. The beds are also not new. Don't let the pictures of the rooms fool you or the veiw from the outside. You will be less than impressed.

• Stayed: October 2011, traveled on business
Reviewed September 30, 2011

We returned last night from a visit to Saint John, NB, Canada and stayed for three nights at The Hilton which is located right on the harbor. We have stayed at this hotel many times over the past 20+ years and always found it enjoyable. This time, however, we were a little disappointed. We had a room on the 11th floor with a view of the harbor which was definitely a plus. When we first opened the door of our room we were met with a horrible smell. I immediately went down to the front desk and asked if they had another room we could have...they did not and said they would send an engineer up. He arrived with some air freshener and sprayed it around the room saying "this stuff certainly smells better than it does in here". A while after he left my husband found a half full bottle of beer hidden behind the window curtain which had probably been fermenting for a while. He dumped the beer into the sink and washed out the bottle and our room started to smell better. Unfortunately, the room did not have a window that opened. There were also stains on the carpet that could have been from spilled beer. I reported our finding to one of the people at the front desk. There were things about the stay that were enjoyable: watching the cruise ships come into the harbor, WiFi that was included with the price of our room, a comfortable bed, the breakfast buffet that was included daily (even though it would have cost $16.99 per person which I'm sure we paid for indirectly) and the friendly staff. Things we did not like were not being able to move around easily in the city due to all of the people from the cruise ships (there were over 5,000 people there one of the days!), no refrigerator in the room (my diabetes meds needed refrigeration) and a very outdated bathroom considering what we paid per night. We were supposed to stay an additional night but decided to come home early. I was happy to see that rooms are scheduled to be renovated but this trip was the last to this area due to our health issues and we expected to enjoy it more.

Room Tip: Make sure that you ask for a room facing the harbor.
  • Stayed: September 2011, traveled as a couple

Mavlily
Thank you taking the time to share your experience with us. We are deeply apologetic for the poor room cleanliness you experienced. This is unacceptable and we have reinforced our room inspection policies to ensure this does not happen again. Thank you for also pointing out the positive aspects of your stay..the friendliness of the employees and the signature Hilton breakfast buffet. We do hope to welcome you back for a future stay so you may enjoy Hilton Saint John hospitality as it should be. Kind regards, Dermot