“Coastal Inn was ok”

Ranked #13 of 20 Hotels in Saint John
Traralgon
“Coastal Inn was ok”
Reviewed September 6, 2006

Prior to booking this Hotel I read some of the reviews and they were mixed, to say the least. However, the price for an Executive Room was unbeatable!!

The Exec Room was very nice indeed with all the amenities that I've come to expect. I can't help feeling that the new owners have tried too hard and just put too much into one small room! The Hotel was reasonably positioned with about a 10 minute walk into the CBD.

The one strong impression that I take back to Australia is that the front desk staff are desperately in need of training in customer service. Quite frankly, they were rude and indifferent to customer needs. My wife and I struggled to unload the 6 cases onto a trolley and squeeze into an elevator. No-one offered any assistance and if a bell-boy existed we didn't see one during our 2 night stay.

• Liked — Value for money!
  • Disliked — Customer Service
  • Tips/Secrets — In summer, walk from the Hotel into the city via a route along the shoreline
  • Stayed August 2006, traveled as a couple
    • Check in / front desk

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (75)
Reviewed June 8, 2006

This hotel is perhaps the most overrated hotel in the St John area. If you manage to get lucky and find a clean room to check in to, you are likely to find the staff rude, discourteous and unhelpful. I've been travelling to St John for 4 years and this is the worst value for money I've seen so far.

• Stayed June 2006, traveled on business
4 Thank A TripAdvisor Member

Travelers are raving about these Saint John hotels

Reviewed May 22, 2006

Price was right and the room and serivce were great too.I enjoyed the pool and the new restaurant was oh so good. Worth the money and I will stay there again

• Stayed May 2006, traveled on business
1 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed April 23, 2006

This full service Hotel has without a doubt the best view in the Maritimes.
The service was first class and everybody was so friendly we felt we were staying in a
family style accomodation.
We cannot wait to return to the area.

Stayed January 2006
Reviewed February 2, 2006

I stayed at the Coastal in Fort Howe/St John and I was very happy with my stay. The service was incredible, lots of sweet local ladies helping make my stay comfortable. I was originally only staying 2 nights but made it 4 in the end. I would recommend it to family and friends any day, well worth the money to me, I stay at a lot of hotels and its hard to find one actually worth the price. Local shopping and such was very good too. Canada is indeed beautiful and the fishing isn't half bad either.

• Stayed January 2006, traveled on business
3 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Dublin, Ireland
Reviewed January 13, 2003

We arrived in the middle of a hurricane after a trans atlantic flight from Ireland via, London, St Johns and Halifax where we were delayed to discovert that the hotel had given our room away. There was no alternative offered so we stayed with a friend who just happened to be home that night. I found this attitude to be offhand and incredibly insensitive. We had a 4 night booking and we agreed to come back the next night. Unfortunately our first impressions were not changed. The room was filthy and overlooked the car park and the wondows had no curtains which meant that we needed to draw the blinds during the day which meant we were in permanent darkness. It was sunny outside but we had to read at midday by elewctric light which I found to be horrendous. Room service coffee was served in paper cups and the service was slow and very inefficient. The restaurant was worse still with badly cooked food, sandy filled coffee and filthy utensils, crockery, carpets and serving staff who were more interested in collecting tips that offering any kind of service.
I will NEVER stay in this hotel again. It is cheap at $60CAD per night but for the standard of accomodation it is way overpriced.

• Stayed September 2003