“Excellent value” 4 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #11 of 19 Hotels in Saint John
Montreal, Canada
“Excellent value”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 28, 2013

I stayed 3 nights in October during the Skate Canada competition. As I write this review a month later, I’m still amazed at all the extras I had at such a low price.

I really appreciated the free shuttle to and from the airport. I think it’s available for stays of 3 nights or more. It’s a 20 minute ride so cab fare would have been costly. A nice gentleman met me at the airport holding a sign with my name. You need to make arrangements to go back to the airport one day prior departure. I was the only one needing a ride both ways so I’m sure this service was pretty costly for the hotel but they seemed happy to oblige.

The breakfasts were really good. You get to choose from a menu with 11 choices including omelettes, eggs with homefries and choice of meats and pancakes. Much better than the usual included buffet style breakfasts. The dining room is quite large and we never had to wait for a table even though the hotel seemed at full capacity.

The room was humongous and clean. There’s a kitchenette area with a midsize fridge, a sink and a microwave. There’s a plastic bin full of ustensils, cups and plates which I thought was a nice touch. My king size bed was comfortable and had plenty of pillows. They have adjoining rooms so keep this in mind if you’re travelling with familly.

The location is good even though the downtown area is on the other side of the highway. It’s about a 15 minute walk and the friendly front desk staff will be happy to point you in the right direction.

I don’t think you can find a better hotel in Saint John at this price point.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled with friends
    • 5 of 5 bubbles

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (73)
Moncton, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 7, 2013

My wife and I enjoyed a fantastic weekend here. The hotel staff were friendly, our room was clean and bright(newly painted), and the on site restaurant was really good(the FREE made to order breakfast surprised us, and it was delicious). The prices in the restaurant were affordable which made it an easy choice to eat on site for most of the weekend. We were close to Saint John's uptown area and we visited that area as well. The hotel also has free parking.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 26, 2013 via mobile

I stayed here sing because the Hilton was sold out of our corporate rate. The staff were amazing, and helped me out with a couple of issues I had not related to the hotel. However, the greatest staff on earth couldn't help thus place out. The tiling in the bathroom was chipped and broken and the flooring was perhaps original to the hotel, very dated and in poor condition. The furnishings were scraped and in very poor condition. Then the bed....perhaps original to the hotel as well, was a king sized and was so saggy it was pathetic. The line I was given was that the free hot breakfast makes up for any hotel short comings...it was fine, but you have 1 choice on the menu, including only one beverage - so if you want a coffee and juice, there's a charge. Granted the hotel is very dated, but improving the amenities like having a bar and restaurant that is open past 9 pm, and a fresh hot buffet breakfast included with the rate might help. I will avoid coming back, if the corporate rare is not available at the Hilton, maybe I'll look for a hostile.....

Stayed October 2013, traveled on business

Travelers are raving about these Saint John hotels

Halifax, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 23, 2013

I just spent the weekend here, and I have to say, I was impressed with this hotel. The lobby are is clean and bright and vey welcoming. The staff member was very friendly upon check in and quite helpful in answering any questions I had. My room was clean, and the bed had new bedding. I had a great sleep. In the morning the hotel offered a free mad to order breakfast which was FABULOUS!! I will definitely be back-as will the group of friends that stayed here.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with friends
Guelph, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 23, 2013

I recently stayed at this hotel. I was meeting friends for a reunion. The hotel was very nice and clean. Staff were friendly. Room was clean, bright, had a new flat screen TV and the bed had new bedding was so comfy!! I had a great view. The hotel offers free made to order breakfast which was a pleasant surprise. Service in the hotels restaurant was great. All in all my stay was a great one!! Would definitely recommend this hotel--GREAT PRICE!!

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with friends
Manila, Philippines
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 21, 2013

We stayed at HJ in Saint John for one night while touring the East Coast. Price was more or less reasonable in comparison to other hotels however the hotel is in bad need of renovations. All furniture is tired, to the point it is now retro in style, banged up and scratched. Carpets were not only old but dirty, baseboards with water marks, peeling paint etc etc. fixtures I n bathroom appeared to be the original, seemingly management is trying to squeeze every last penny out of the place before refurbishing. Location is convenient with a view of the harbor and walking distance (1 km) to shopping. For breakfast a choice of options are available and it was quite good and included in the room. Service was fine. Overall very average.

Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank jgw52
Cambridge, Canada
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 19, 2013

Hotel overlooks the Harbour. Good location. Rooms were shabby and worn, but very clean. Had a pool but it was always full of young kids. Staff was very friendly . Wifi worked well. Included breakfast from the restaurant, your choice several options from the regular menu.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled with friends