“PLEASANT STAY”

Canadas Best Value Inn - Saint John
Ranked #14 of 19 Hotels in Saint John
Reviewed June 12, 2012

The front desk personnel were very friendly. The room was large and clean, very comfy beds. We loved that all our chorus were assigned rooms together on the same floor. We had such a great time. My only complaint - the restaurant service was slow - they were not expecting such a large gang of us on Wednesday night.

• Stayed: May 2012, traveled with friends
There are newer reviews for Canadas Best Value Inn - Saint John

Reviewed June 6, 2012

Barbershop contest on the weekend. Thrs. -Sun. The hotel separated chorus members by putting us on several different floors. They gave our chorus smoking rooms and lied about it. I spoke to them at the front desk and they said they weren't smoking rooms. They reeked of smoke. Two whole floors did. I asked why there were ash trays in the rooms if they weren't smoking rooms and they said "someone must have brought them in." Really?? A maid told me that yes these were smoking floors and we shouldn't have been told otherwise.
We made a dinner reservation for our chorus and rushed there to eat mid afternoon between contests and waited over an hour and a quarter to be served. When food arrived, it was cold and things were missing from plates. They told us that there was only one chef. They knew the hotel was in fact over-booked for the weekend. Why wouldn't they be prepared?
I finally had a chance to swim. I had been suspicious when I saw kids with pool noodles coming to the front desk. I changed and went to the pool to find it packed with screaming kids. The fathers were all in the hot tub and the mothers chatted all around the pool as the kids played and swam. I went back to my room and called the front desk. I was told that this was not a hotel pool, but a public pool and if I didn't like it I could take it up with the manager. I was very polite, but was treated rudely.
The room were dated and rundown with chipped tubs and sinks and exposed pipes in the bathroom.

Room Tip: I think it was 7 and 8 that were smoking floors, but many other rooms smelled of smoke.
  • Stayed: May 2012, traveled on business
1  Thank TrishE44
Reviewed May 26, 2012

The front desk staff were very nice. i arrived late and was hungry and was recommended to take the passageway. The passageway to get to the city center is helpful but do not go at night, it is poorly lit and full of shady people (hookers and drug users). The room i had was facing towards the cruse ship and the loading docks which was nice but the room needs updating and it was poorly lit. The light switch on the wall turns on the tv, which it took me a while to figure out because the switch is near the bathroom. The water tasted bad so get bottled water and also the bathtub was peeling revealing the original color of purple and the caulking was moldy. There was no guide in the room letting you know what are the local channels on the tv and also there is no information in the room letting you know of the services they offer or local eateries and attractions. The pros for the hotel, the parking is free, wifi is free , the room was large.

• Stayed: May 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed May 18, 2012

I just finished a three day stay in Saint John. I have stayed at this hotel before, and was impressed with the direction this hotel is going. The staff are top notch when it comes to being friendly and professional. I dont need a 5 star hotel, but I do like to be greeted as a welcome customer, the staff here are good at this. The hotel has raised it's standards since I was last here. The hotel now has large flat screen tvs, duvet bedding, and alot of other amenities offered by higher priced hotels. The rooms are large and meet my needs, they are not five stars(stay away if you need 5 star). The hotel has informational sites all over the hotel advertising upcoming changes, looks like good stuff ahead. The hotel is offering a free breakfast-starting in June-they may have been a little late on this freebie-but they are offering made to order cooked breakfast-and you can get it delivered to you room-and its free,,very nice touch. They are also advertising a courtesey airport shuttle-that will save about $18 each way, another nice touch. This hotel has become by far the best value in Saint John, I look forward to my next trip here-to see what other things have happened.

• Stayed: May 2012, traveled on business
Reviewed May 14, 2012

Stayed this past weekend, pleasure trip. Front desk staff, very pleasant. Harbour view was great. King bed room had a kitchenette (not all the dishes were clean) decor was so-so, not great, not awful. Bathroom was shabby. White tub with chunks of finish coming off, previous finish was apparently purple, looked disgusting: would never have a bath in it. Talked about this to the front desk. Can't reduce rate, but heres free breakfast coupons. Ok. Asked about breakfast hours at restaurant the night before, until noon. Showed up at 11:15, sorry brunch only, no breakfast. Coupons no good. Then there was the cleaning staff: checkout time was noon. Took a load of stuff out at 10:30. Cleaners were in the hall...what room are you in...are you checking out now. No. On the way back, they asked well when will you be checking out. At noon. Was lying on the bed waiting for my partner in the bathroom. Knock knock, housekeeping. In they come. Oh when are you checking out? Gee, good thing the bathroom door was shut. I gather you want us out now??? Probably won't stay here again.

Room Tip: Get a harbour view room
  • Stayed: May 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed May 7, 2012

Had the opportunity to stay here over the easter weekend. We found that the price was good, and the view of SJ was fantastic. The staf at the HOJO was very friendly and curteous. We would visit again....

• Stayed: April 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed May 5, 2012

My sons hockey team travelled to Saint John in December. We stayed at this hotel and upon check in were given a room for everyone to store their hockey gear in(very useful for us hockey families). We were also directed towards a large meeting room that had been setup with video games, tv's with dvd players, board games etc. All teams staying that weekend shared the room and allowed my son and his team mates to meet other players from other teams(very nice). Having a reataurant on site was very nice during a busy weekend.
I was very pleased with this hotel and satisfied with our stay. Will definitely book our rooms here again for our tournament.

Room Tip: Get a room with 2 king beds, they are huge
  • Stayed: December 2011, traveled with family