“Fort Howe Awesome”

Canadas Best Value Inn - Saint John
Ranked #13 of 19 Hotels in Saint John
Reviewed April 9, 2011

Loved the Fort Howe for it's weirdness. The hotel has a creepy feel to it but once I got into the atmosphere I began to appeciate the 80's swinger vibe. The room was dirty (especially the bathroom) but the beds were very comfortable and everything was in good repair. The staff (especially the front desk!) were awesome and great to deal with. Breakfast seemed overpriced but when we recieved our food it was a huge portion and very good. Awesome location, especially for getting around the downtown core on foot. Good prices especially with free parking included. With a little updating and better housekeeping standards, the Fort Howe could be a real gem.

• Stayed: March 2011, traveled on business
1  Thank NovaKim

Reviewed December 10, 2010

Stayed in a dog-friendly room and even the dogs wouldn't sleep on the carpet, it was that dirty. The bedding smelled sour. Brown splotches on the wall that I didn't want to think about. Some of the staff were friendly. $84 per night and not worth it. Won't stay here again.

• Stayed: December 2010, traveled on business
2  Thank John G
Reviewed October 21, 2010

I stayed at this hotel almost exclusively for nearly 10 years on business and had to finally change hotels. I left 2 years ago but got stuck here again for 1 night as there was nothing else avail and they honored my prev. low rate. Although I had a great negotiated rate for my own business which started at $ 68 when the best avail. rate was over $110, I finally had to change despite going from a $ 84 rate to a quite higher rate of $109 at a competing new hotel. Don't stay here unless they have lowered the price down around the $80-90 range. It's deteriorated terribly and is not worth a cent more. It's not a terrible hotel but expect around 3 stars and only book it if you are looking for a cheap hotel. Unfortunatley I think they are still charging as though they are a nice hotel. Hope this helps. The opening of the new Chateau Saint John, Best Western and Hampton Inn ruined this place. They had the market cornered until these properties opened. I left as did the masses. Stay at ANY of the three aforementioned b/f staying here.

• Stayed: November 2009, traveled on business
3  Thank Canadian_Hoser
Reviewed September 6, 2010

My family and I stayed in this rather odd hotel at the start of a long drive back to the southern USA. I honestly can't say that there was anything specifically wrong with the hotel, it's just that it seemed a little odd. It looks rather more like a brick factory than a hotel from the outside, and the large reception area seemed eerily deserted. The room was large, with free Wi-Fi, and we had a good view of Saint John harbour, but other than that... The hotel is some distance from the main town, so there was no way for us to have a nice stroll for dinner. I think we had a reasonable experience at th is hotel, but I would not necessarily recommend it to anyone.

• Stayed: July 2010, traveled with family
2  Thank OilRover
Reviewed August 8, 2010

Distgusting, filthy, noisy - only stayed one night in desperation as arrived too late to change. It smells. There was a black hair in the ice bucket. The bath was yellow stained. The towels thin and yellowish. We had a group of 6 to 8 noisy people next door. If we weren't so weary we would have packed up and left and continued on our travels through the night. The worst hotel by far we have ever stayed in anywhere !!!
Wish we had read trip adviser first and will certainly do so from now on.

• Stayed: August 2010, traveled as a couple
3  Thank MarkLincolnUK
Reviewed October 20, 2009

I arranged for my company and some preferred clients to stay at the The Fort Howe hotel. Their website presented them well and they came recommended by another hotel in the area with the disclaimer, "if you are okay with an older hotel". I figured, weighing their website photos and description with the other hotel's recommendation that this should be adequate. Wow. Was I wrong. When we checked in the hotel presented nicely. The gentleman at the counter was very friendly, although the hotel did lose the payment information that I sent in a week ahead of time as per their instructions when booking a block of rooms. We went up a very sketchy elevator and inspected our rooms which, as all 5 of us agreed upon, had a distinct odor and uncleanliness to them. I decided to have a bath after a long commute to the hotel. I ran the water in my dingy tub (which did not appear to have been cleaned recently) and walked away. I returned and was horrified to discover a tub full of bright yellow water and numerous floating specs of questionable particles. Needless to say, I settled for a QUICK shower, which switched from scalding hot to freezing cold repeatedly with EVERY shower, that evening and did not risk another bath. The clients that we were entertaining refused to stay more than one night out of the 6 they were originally booked for. I had to find other accommodations for them as they did not have a working shower and the room was apparently so unclean that it set off our client's asthma so badly that she could not breathe. There was one occasion where the housekeeping staff came in and replaced my coffee but did replace my towels. I had to go all the way down to the front desk just to get a few clean towels at 3am. Our internet signal was very weak and for the most part not usable. On a brighter note, the front desk staff was very friendly and helpful with most things. I, however, would not recommend this hotel to anyone who wants a relaxing and clean place to stay while they enjoy Saint John. It was a disappointment and an embarrassment to our company.

• Stayed: October 2009, traveled on business
2  Thank Calgary123_9
Reviewed April 19, 2009

Massage oil stains on sheets. Furniture and room appointments reclaims from a salvage box. Small outdated elevators. Top of the town restaurant closed which was at one time a feature of the hotel. Other people I spoke to on this visit talked of cobwebs from the ceilings and paint chipped and a general dirty feel. Not good value since you can stay at competitors for about the same rate and enjoy luxury.

• Stayed: April 2009, traveled on business