“A Group Evening at 'Italian By Night'”
Review of Urban Deli

Urban Deli
Ranked #14 of 241 Restaurants in Saint John
Cuisines: Delicatessen, Italian
Dining options: Dinner, Breakfast, Lunch, Delivery, Reservations
Description: Urban Deli lives up to it's tag line of 'old fashioned. Slightly sophisticated'. We love to put a spin on some favourite old fashioned dishes like our popular meatloaf sandwich. We have the deli classics like Montreal Smoked Meat and our popular Reuben Sandwich. Urban Deli was featured on the Canadian Food Network's 'You Gotta Eat Here' featuring our Muffuletta & Uptown Big Beef Bad Boy sandwiches and our famous lemon sour cream pie, which has travelled as far as Alberta & Ontario. We also offer catering for lunch or private functions. If you are craving something other than deli, see Italian by Night for our authentic Tuscan Style Italian menu for dinner.
Saint John, Canada
“A Group Evening at 'Italian By Night'”
Reviewed December 12, 2013

I had my first experience last night at 'Italian By Night' with a group of coworkers at their large community table. It was phenomenal and unlike anything I've had after living across Canada, and working the finest resorts. The food was beyond terrific and the service was so well done, it actually took some getting used to. I definitely recommend it when you have a group to impress, or you're looking for a quaint, enchanting evening.

• Visited December 2013

Rosetown, Canada
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Great expectations - Subdued food”
Reviewed November 13, 2013

Friends went to the Urban Deli for lunch and came back with rave reviews so we made reservations for supper with great hopes. The atmosphere of the Urban Deli is warm and charming. The kitchen is open so you can see the staff prepare the food and the long center table allowed them seat our large group. On the service side things were fantastic. The staff is very knowledgeable and friendly. They went to great strides to accommodate a friend with gluten allergies. They even gave us steaming towels to freshen up before the meal. It was when the meal came that things took a step down. I ordered Garganelli con Salsiccia e Peperoni. While everything was fresh and tasty there was nothing that set the food apart from any other good Italian food. Portions were moderate and flavors were subdued. Perhaps after all the hype and the poster proclaiming that they had been showcased on "You Gotta Eat Here" I was expecting a bit too much. Prices were reasonable so you didn't feel hard done by. I enjoyed my meal but the overall experience did not live up to expectations.

• Visited November 2013
Northern Virginia
“NICE RELAXING LUNCH PLACE”
Reviewed October 28, 2013

We had lunch at Urban Deli this week and really enjoyed the atmosphere. The quinoa salad was a nice vegetarian option and wasn't drowning in fat-laden dressing! The tuna sandwich was really good too. This restaurant is right in the heart of the historic district and is very popular. Reservations are usually needed, even for lunch.

Toronto, Ontario, Canada
“Fantastic lunch in Saint John”
Reviewed October 28, 2013

This place completely took me by surprise! I knew that I should expect a good meal from the other reviews on here, but I did not expect one of the best lunches ever!
Freshly made soups, salads. Delicious chicken parm sandwich with buffalo mozza!
Really hit the spot and definitely a place to go eat when visiting Saint John!

Saint John, Canada
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Italian By Night @ The Urban Deli.......”
Reviewed October 21, 2013

Last week, myself,my italian husband and two wonderful friends had the pleasure of experiencing the most exceptional and authentic italian cuisine. This most interesting restaurant, with great ambience, genuine italian background music, service and friendly staff is located right in the heart of Saint John city. The menu for "Italian by Night" has just sufficient selections that you are not over powered when making your choice from dishes made with only the freshest ingredients, and prepared "al la carte" in the kitchen. Our host "Elizabeth" welcomed us, and shared her recent experience of cooking in Italy. Obviously this restaurant is operated and staffed with people passionate and experienced in both food preparation and hospitality. Ciao, grazie, ci vediamo (goodbye, thank you, and we will return).
Margaret & Giovanni