“Excellent food”

Urban Deli
Ranked #12 of 246 Restaurants in Saint John
Cuisines: Delicatessen, Italian
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Breakfast, Delivery, Reservations
Description: Urban Deli lives up to it's tag line of 'old fashioned. Slightly sophisticated'. We love to put a spin on some favourite old fashioned dishes like our popular meatloaf sandwich. We have the deli classics like Montreal Smoked Meat and our popular Reuben Sandwich. Urban Deli was featured on the Canadian Food Network's 'You Gotta Eat Here' featuring our Muffuletta & Uptown Big Beef Bad Boy sandwiches and our famous lemon sour cream pie, which has travelled as far as Alberta & Ontario. We also offer catering for lunch or private functions. If you are craving something other than deli, see Italian by Night for our authentic Tuscan Style Italian menu for dinner.
Reviewed September 3, 2013

Went here for a brunch, but they have a great lunch and dinner menu as well. LOVED the sour cream lemon pie I had for dessert.

Reviewed August 28, 2013

Have been for lunch 3 times.... BUSY...make a reservation if your time is limited or you do not wish to sit at the "big" table. I have done both, I prefer a private table or booth, but the big table is kind of an experience ( but no private conversation will be happenin'). Sandwiches are good...my husband had smoked meat & thought it was really good. I have tried 3 different sandwiches & liked them all. He would be fussier than I about likes & dislikes. There are a number of business looking types there at noon...a neat spot...They seem to have attracted an upscale clientale looking for a good lunch, in a casual setting.
I have heard the Italian night is excellent but have not been yet....

Reviewed August 26, 2013

Urban Deli turns into "Italian by Night" at the same location. Confusing but true. My friend and I were looking for a nice spot for supper and stopped at Urban Deli/Italian by Night. After perusing the menu posted on the door we ventured inside. Our server asked us if we were having supper. I responded that I'd like to see the menu. She then said, " Weren't you looking at the menu outside?". After the first insult we should have left but I was embarassed and sat down. We ordered wine and my friend's wine had a fruit fly in it. I called the waitress over and pointed out the fly to which she responed that flies had been coming in when patrons entered the restaurant. I should have informed her that fruit flies live in produce and not the streets of Saint John. She brought a fresh glass of wine with little apology. Ordering was another ordeal. Then there was the clean up all around us even though we were informed that the restaurant was open another hour. The servers were unfriendly and condescending and the food was mediocre. The chicken and pasta entree was $24 plus tax if I remember correctly. Not a nice experience.

1  Thank JayneNewBrunswick
Reviewed August 20, 2013

Their sandwiches are wonderful. A great choice and it's such a great atmosphere there with a community table. Lovely place but go before rush hours as it's very busy and difficult to get a table.

Reviewed August 9, 2013

Read the good reviews and recommended the Urban Deli to my in-laws.

They dined here about a week before we arrived and were very happy with the meals.

They wanted to return to try the seafood chowder and we accompanied them.

They had run out of the muffuletta sandwich by the time we arrived (1 pm) and I settled for the Ruben which had a cumin curry dijon. The curry overpowered the sandwich I felt.

My wife was very satisfied with her seafood chowder…plenty of salmon in it, and some small mussels and clams.

My father-in-law felt there was too much salmon in it and not enough other seafood.
He did find the biscuits tasty.

My mother-in-law had the philly beef sandwich which satisfied her…but she felt the quiche she had the week before to be the better of the two.

Service was friendly.