“Excellent service and food”
Review of Urban Deli

Urban Deli
Ranked #14 of 241 Restaurants in Saint John
Cuisines: Delicatessen, Italian
Dining options: Dinner, Breakfast, Lunch, Delivery, Reservations
Description: Urban Deli lives up to it's tag line of 'old fashioned. Slightly sophisticated'. We love to put a spin on some favourite old fashioned dishes like our popular meatloaf sandwich. We have the deli classics like Montreal Smoked Meat and our popular Reuben Sandwich. Urban Deli was featured on the Canadian Food Network's 'You Gotta Eat Here' featuring our Muffuletta & Uptown Big Beef Bad Boy sandwiches and our famous lemon sour cream pie, which has travelled as far as Alberta & Ontario. We also offer catering for lunch or private functions. If you are craving something other than deli, see Italian by Night for our authentic Tuscan Style Italian menu for dinner.
Stewartsville, New Jersey
“Excellent service and food”
Reviewed June 20, 2013

Just had the pleasure of dining at Urban Deli. Traveling in the area on business I have overlooked this restaurant in the past due to the name.The staff was warm and professional and the food was outstanding.

• Visited June 2013
urbandeli, Owner at Urban Deli, responded to this review, June 27, 2013
Stewartsville NJ...

Thrilled that you visited us!

Yes, our name does not always represent what our total food, service and atmosphere entail. Especially since we've added the Italian by Night to Urban Deli.

Our original layout / plan was to have a deli counter and sell meats, chicken liver pate and other great sides 'to go' - similar to the deli's in NYC. We simply ran out of space. Maybe that will be dream phase two :).

Again, thank you for taking the time to post your comments. My team and I very much appreciate your feedback.

Elizabeth, Owner

Ridley Park, Pennsylvania
“Expensive, but good”
Reviewed June 14, 2013

The Urban Deli is sophisticated but comfortable. We were there in the evening for Italian night and the food was well prepared. The salads were delicious and the penne with sausage was tasty. I didn't like the seafood risotto though--too much butter. I am a little fussy about food though and have had many different versions of risotto to compare with. So someone else may like it fine.
It seemed pricey to me, but that could be the region and not the restaurant. I was only in St. John one night, so have no idea what other restaurants cost.

Visited June 2013
urbandeli, Owner at Urban Deli, responded to this review, June 15, 2013
Hi Marcy

Thank you for visiting Italian by Night while in Saint John. We are thrilled that you chose us!

We love the fact that our food is fresh and we take pain-staking efforts in preparing it each week. All sauces are from scratch and we also import from Italy to ensure the quality and authenticity.

Taking a moment to compare US & Canadian purchasing power, we do not see the great pricing here in Canada that US suppliers can offer their restaurant clients. I believe it also has to do with our smaller population - we have a population of 875,000 in all of New Brunswick, which is one block of people in Manhattan (lol).

Our seafood risotto - I'm sorry that it was not your favourite dish during your visit. There is a little over 1/2 ounce of butter in each portion and the rest is stock and slow cooking.

When I did my research here in the East, we would be considered at the lower end of the pricing scale for an authentic Italian (casual fine dining) restaurant in Eastern Canada.

I hope you enjoyed one of our great house-made desserts to finish your meal?

Thank you for taking the time to share your visit with us!

Warmest regards,
Elizabeth
Auckland Region, New Zealand
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Disorganized!”
Reviewed June 11, 2013

My husband and I had reservations for 8pm on Saturday night. We were ok with waiting for a table but, the diners whose table we were taken to told us they had been chased out because they took too long to finish. When said table was ready we sat down. Another waitress comes over and tells us we can't sit there because another couple wanted to move and take our booth. This other couple were already seated at a table. We had to get up, and then wait while obviously bossy couples table was cleaned. Now frazzled waitress takes our drink orders. Comes back 5 minutes later and takes our drink order again. then proceeds to tell us what is not available on the menu. Again she comes back and asks my husband if he really wanted what he ordered. Three people had ordered spaghetti and there were only two servings left. No. Ok. Food was excellent but we felt frazzled just like her by the end. I think we should have been offered a reduction in our bill....maybe the drinks could have been complimentary. It was like a circus!

• Visited June 2013
urbandeli, Owner at Urban Deli, responded to this review, June 13, 2013
Claudia:

Thank you for your comments because they were absolutely valid for Saturday night. The seating was poorly managed during our peak transition time. And the unfortunate impact to that is your experience with us from a 'service' perspective.

After each service we discuss the evening and what went well, what did not go well, and how we can improve on even the great things. We had a lot of discussion around your particular seating and some great take-aways on communication amongst our team.

Absolutely, you should have been offered a reduction, drinks, desserts (something) because our team is empowered to make those decisions.

If you are still visiting us in Saint John, I would love to invite you for dinner to make your dining experience a fantastic one from beginning to end!....506.652.3354. (And I would join you for a glass of wine).

From my team and myself, please accept our sincerest apology - customer satisfaction and retention is the only reason we exist.

And thank you for your comment 'food was excellent'.

Kindest regards,
Elizabeth
506.652.3354
Canada
“Another wonderful dining experience.”
Reviewed June 1, 2013

Just had another great meal. The new summer menu is out. Loved the seafood risotto. The lasagna is always great. The ambiance is very nice and the staff are excellent.

Visited May 2013
Toronto, Canada
“They know Italian food”
Reviewed May 25, 2013

Great to experience really good Italian food. (Deli turns to Italian in evenings) This restaurant is one of only a few decent places to eat in Saint John.
A great menu selection. Antipasto were all good, the gnocchi was perfect, tiramisu was authentic.
Staff who knew what they were doing.

• Visited May 2013
urbandeli, Owner at Urban Deli, responded to this review, May 27, 2013
Thank you for visiting Italian by Night and for sharing your experience. We take great pride in developing our menus seasonally. We use a combination of local and imported ingredients. We feel that our main secret ingredient is 'the love' for making our food great food!