“Delicious with excellent service!”
Review of Urban Deli

Urban Deli
Ranked #11 of 237 Restaurants in Saint John
Cuisines: Canadian, Delicatessen, Soups
Good for: Kids, Local cuisine
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Accepts American Express, Accepts Mastercard, Accepts Visa, Delivery, Digital Payments, Free Off-Street Parking, Free Wifi, Highchairs Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Street Parking, Takeout, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible, Wine and Beer
Description: Urban Deli lives up to it's tag line of 'old fashioned. Slightly sophisticated'. We love to put a spin on some favourite old fashioned dishes like our popular meatloaf sandwich. We have the deli classics like Montreal Smoked Meat and our popular Reuben Sandwich. Urban Deli was featured on the Canadian Food Network's 'You Gotta Eat Here' featuring our Muffuletta & Uptown Big Beef Bad Boy sandwiches and our famous lemon sour cream pie, which has travelled as far as Alberta & Ontario. We also offer catering for lunch or private functions. If you are craving something other than deli, see Italian by Night for our authentic Tuscan Style Italian menu for dinner.
Cumberland, Maine
“Delicious with excellent service!”
Reviewed April 20, 2013

We breakfasted at the Urban Deli this morning. The coffee was excellent, and we had the Salmon Bennie...it was luscious with wonderful home-made hollandaise sauce, and English muffins. Our server was delightful, and she made the meal more engaging. I plan to visit the Urban Deli every time I come to St. John! Delicious!

• Visited April 2013
urbandeli, Owner at Urban Deli, responded to this review, May 27, 2013
Breakfast at the deli is a Saturday morning ritual for some of our local clients.

We are thrilled that you visited us from Maine. Our eggs benny is a menu item that regulars keep coming back for and we hope on your next visit we'll see you again for lunch or for our Italian by Night authentic Tuscan style dinner. And for a nice place to stay, visit Chipman Hill Suites in our Uptown.

Rothesay, Canada
“So delicious”
Reviewed April 9, 2013

Had the uptown big beef bad boy and it was amazing. Nice big sandwich with tons of toppings and cheese and loads of flavour. Oh my god the fries, they were so good. Thoroughly enjoyed the meal and somehow I found some room to have dessert too. Probably the best carrot cake I've ever had, the cream cheese centre made the cake. Can't wait to go back for more...

• Visited April 2013
urbandeli, Owner at Urban Deli, responded to this review, April 11, 2013
Jeff. Thank you for your TripAdvisor posting.

The Uptown Big Beef Bad Boy was featured on the Canadian Food Network's show "You Gotta Eat Here". Since that time it is a BIG seller.

The carrot cake. I have to agree that it is one of the best that I've tasted.

Again, thank you for your comments and I will share them with our team who make it happen!

Elizabeth,
Owner
Saint John, Canada
“Ok...”
Reviewed April 4, 2013 via mobile

If its great food you want skip this place. Came here with my wife for lunch, we both ordered different items off the menu and both had the same reaction. Now neither of us are picky eaters but when your out for lunch and ordering a sandwich you expect it to be good. Well don't expect that here.

Visited May 2012
2 Thank Mark R
urbandeli, Owner at Urban Deli, responded to this review, April 8, 2013
Mark...Thank you for taking the time to leave your comments. It is difficult for me to respond to you and 'fix' things to ensure you have a great experience without details other than you visited.

I did notice that you and your wife were in January and left similar reviews on TripAdvisor: absolutely no details on the sandwiches you ate.

Mark & Stephanie, we take painstaking pride in producing quality products - our food is from scratch - not processed. As a small business owner who employs 19 staff, you have no idea how your reviews with no details could impact small business owners and their teams.

I invite you both to call me directly at the Deli (506) 652.3354 and I would love to meet with you both to discuss your experience in person with the goal to better understand what we could do to make your experience a great one!

I look forward to your call.
Elizabeth
“Excellent!”
Reviewed March 30, 2013 via mobile

We had a Montreal smoked meat sandwich and the muffuletta .... Both were excellent .... Found this place here on trip advisor ... Was very busy for lunch, but soon learned it was very well worth the wait!

1 Thank Tacoma2002
urbandeli, Owner at Urban Deli, responded to this review, April 2, 2013
Thank you for sharing your 'food experience' with us! Our smoked meat sandwich is delicious! We were inspired from the Montreal and NYC deli's.

We hope that you have an opportunity to come back and join us for dinner at the same location for our Italian by Night Ristorante. We change up our food, menu and atmosphere to offer our guests an authentic Tuscan style food experience (wed - sat starting at 5pm).
Saint John, Canada
“I loved it......what more is there to say??”
Reviewed March 27, 2013

OK, I loved it.

I had lunch at Urban Deli on Monday. I asked Elizabeth, the owner, for a recommendation, as I was preparing to order something else, and she said "The Meatloaf Sandwich". A MEATLOAF SANDWICH????? Really????? "It's delicious" she said.

Well, I took her at her word and ordered it. It was FABULOUS.

I was with a group of three ladies, discussing business, and we didn't plan to order dessert. "Get one, and three forks" she advised. She picked out a lemon dessert for us, it looked like a pie, tasted like a cheesecake, and was just out of this world.

You would be very well off to go to Urban Deli, order the meatloaf sandwich and WHATEVER that lemon dessert was. Just ask Elizabeth and take her advice.

Can't wait to go back!!!!

Bravo to Urban Deli on a JOB VERY WELL DONE!!!

• Visited March 2013
urbandeli, Owner at Urban Deli, responded to this review, March 29, 2013
Thank you for your kinds words about my recommendations to you: I'm thrilled that you enjoyed both of them.

With the words "Meatloaf Sandwich" we tend to get a variety of reactions but once customers try it...:)

Our Sour Cream Lemon Pie is something we are proud of. It has always been a popular dessert item since opening. The pie has traveled as far as Ontario & east to Nova Scotia - have pie will travel.

We look forward to your next visit and hearing about your journey through our menu.

From the Urban Deli Team!