“Good old time Restaurant”
Review of Mels Tearoom

Mels Tearoom
Ranked #1 of 1 Dessert in Sackville
Cuisines: Diner, Canadian
Good for: Families with children
Dining options: Lunch, Brunch, Breakfast, Dinner, Accepts Mastercard, Accepts Visa, Free Off-Street Parking, Reservations, Seating, Street Parking, Takeout, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible, Wine and Beer
aulac nb
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Good old time Restaurant”
Reviewed May 8, 2013

Mel's has been my favorite restaurant to go to as we have always gone there since we have been here over 26 years and beyond that. My father and mother are from Aulac and Jolicore, my mother worked there when she was a teenager and my father tells the story of going to pick her up from work and was chased away from the front door as his car burned oil and it smelled. Ha, Ha, I think this restaurant has been kept well and even the new owners have done very well in keeping the old tradition going along with putting in there own special touch. It takes special people to run an older restaurant ,as small towns are very close knitted so congratulations to the new owners for doing this for the town. It's going to take some time but growing pains are there and it will become easier ,I promise from a dedicated customer. So keep up the great work you folks are doing. Love the new menu and the special's you have, it takes time to do that and give a little more well appreciated. y Father has been walking to the restaurant and has bragged up your fish and fries, and I will tell you that your fries are the best in both Sackville and Amherst . My granddaughter is pleased that you have gluten free buns and puts them in a separate toaster for my great grandson, so I have 5 generations going there so that should tell you something. My daughter in law3 goes there at least 4 times a week because she likes the friendliness and the owner is always concerned about the customers well being. So great job.

• Visited May 2013
1 Thank audrey l

Shediac, Canada
“Appalling service”
Reviewed April 28, 2013

We've been to Mel's a few times before and had no plans to return due to the terrible service we recently experienced. However, we knew that in order to finally share a review, we had to return and try our luck again.

My partner ordered the hot turkey sandwich with fries. I had the club sandwich with fries. Both were very good. Their fries and doughnuts are home-made and excellent. We have no complaints about the food.

The real story here is the appalling service, a repeat of our previous experience. A new server, in training, took our order. She was lovely and efficient. The irony is that the woman training her was the very person who provided terrible service during our last visit and the very last person who should train anyone. Sadly, a shift change seemed to take place during our meal, as our lovely trainee server disappeared. After our food was served, not once did anyone check on our table or offer refills on my partner's coffee.

I walked over to the counter to ask for a refill of coffee for my partner, more hot water for my tea, and a doughnut. The server who I approached explained that there was no coffee left in the pot and asked if I would mind waiting. I said that was fine. Why did it take my request for a single refill for the server to realize that there was no coffee available? If someone had bothered to offer refills to customers, the availability of coffee would have become quickly apparent. The were only three tables occupied, including ours, so the restaurant was not busy by any means. There was no walk-in take out traffic that might have explained the non-existent service. The staff chose to congregate in the kitchen chatting and ignore the few customers they had.

After some time had passed, I had to approach the same server to ask for my doughnut and hot water for my tea. Several minutes later, the doughnut and hot water arrived, but no refill of coffee. My partner gave up on a refill of his coffee and we approached the counter to pay our bill.

We make it a habit of keeping our receipt wherever we eat. Asking to keep our receipt created quite a production. The server who still seemed totally unaware that she forgot about the coffee refill, said that she couldn't let us keep our receipt and would have to write a new one. Interestingly, the hand-written receipt didn't even say the name of the restaurant. That seemed fishy and was first for us. Is a hand written receipt really the only way this restaurant keeps track of customer orders? Keeping the kitchen stocked and the accounts in order must be a joy.

Bottom line, this restaurant desperately needs new management and new servers. We will not return. If this Sackville icon does not address its lousy service, I'm afraid that its days are numbered. Especially given the number of new spots that continue to open nearby.

The washrooms are miniscule, in need of a thorough cleaning, and there was no toilet paper in the women's washroom.

• Visited April 2013
4 Thank TMdS
Amherst, Canada
“MELS!!!”
Reviewed January 23, 2013

Mels has been around for ever I remeber going thereasa young girl. Very basic but good. Average food good service andlovley spot

Visited November 2012
1 Thank suegiggle
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Love it. Just as good if not better than before.”
Reviewed November 19, 2012

Love the old diner and the new owners. This place has kept all the charm of the past and is as warm and welcoming as I remember the old dinner to be. Thanks and I will be back. Love a good home cooked meal.

1 Thank DJ-SLR
Moncton
“Good food”
Reviewed October 6, 2012

Good service, good food, good price. The coffee was hot and refilled often, the homemade turkey soup is delicious.

Visited September 2012