“New Ownership.. Will not be open for long!” 1 of 5 bubbles

Cuisines: Italian, Mediterranean, Pizza, Greek, Contemporary
Dining options: Outdoor Seating
Dining options: Outdoor Seating
Moncton, Canada
“New Ownership.. Will not be open for long!”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 29, 2010

New owners took over the Olive Branch a while back. Under previous ownership I used to go there just to get appetizers and drinks or an entire meal and drinks. They had martini's, fabulous sangria, amazing pasta, chicken pesto sandwiches, great lasagna, real cheesecake etc etc. Once the new owners look over the place went downhill fast! 3 friends and I went for drinks and apps about 6 months ago.. we got nachos (they were okay, no major complaints), one friend wanted the cheese cake.. only to find out it was "no-bake" cheesecake. They did not have fancy drinks any more.. we were given the option of beer, wine or vodka with pop. We all agreed we would never go back (even though we live in a small town with not many dinner options).
I decided to try out the restaurant once more this week.. we were the only ones in the restaurant (start to finish of meal), it was so cold in there we had to keep our winter jackets and scarfs on the entire time! We couldn't order ceaser salad because they had no lettuce, the entrees were about $20 per meal, $4.99 extra if you want to add chicken. the garlic bread was good but you couldn't really taste the garlic.. the pasta (fettuccine alfredo) was okay but I could easily make a better dish at home from a bottle of sauce, chicken breast and maybe throw in some fresh mushrooms or broccoli! I like to support local business but this place is just horrible now.
They are also just randomly closed at supper hour.. They base their work days on whether or not they have a large enough lunch crowd.. so sometimes they won't even open for dinner. If you are visiting Sackville, I would recommend you try Joey's pizza.. it's a sit down restaurant with lots of variety.. or even go to pizza delight.. they have lots of variety as well (even if you are not in the mood for pizza!)

1 Thank smalltowngirl48

Sackville
“Friendly & Positive and Home-made.”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 12, 2009

The Olive Branch resides in Downtown Sackville New Brunswick, And has a great deal of menu options from soups, salads and sandwiches, to fully loaded pasta dishes For anyone who is hungry, as well as a full menu of cocktails, many wines, Rickards on Tap, AND, the best Desserts in town. And the only thing I can tell that is not homemade on the menu is the bread and condiments used in the simple sandwiches. Virtually everything else is absolutely homemade by the staff, and fresh.

I'll start off by saying that the staff at the Olive Branch has never been un-polite to myself or any other customer that has been there while I dined. In such a small town it is often unnecessary for there to be more than two people on staff at a restaurant, Therefore it is extremely understandable that a Restaurant such as the Olive Branch ask for reservations at mealtimes. This gives them a clearer sense of how many to have on hand.

To Start with the menu,

Lunch Specials only range from $6.99 to $8.99, and you get a full portion of the dish on special. These Specials are Frequently comprised of a combination of soup, salad and sandwich for $6.99 (which could normally cost as much as $10.99) to pasta dishes for $8.99 (which would generally cost 2 dollars extra per dish.)

All You Can Eat Pasta night is wednesday. You Have a choice of three sauces, Bechemel, Marinara, and Rose, which is a combination of the two, on Linguine, topped with a chosen combination of Chicken and/or Vegetables, all topped with a healthy portion of Parmesan, as well as a drink (Pop, Lemonade, or Iced Tea) which doesn't come out of a fountain machine. AND Dessert, a choice of the many freshly made cheesecakes, and Ice Cream Parfaits, and occasionally the best Carrot Cake in town, Home-made and Fresh. all for $12.99.

Happy hour is also great. Customers can recieve 5% off all alcoholic beverages, and a reduced pricing on Nachos,

Thursday night you can expect a reduced pricing on Bruschetta.

The Olive Branch deals Kindly with Birthday Reservations. Anything you want to eat on your birthday is absolutely free. and Bring enough friends and have Happy Hour Prices.

Also if you get to know the staff well enough you can recieve an orange V.I.P. card, which gets you permanent happy hour pricing and 5 percent off any meals. all the time.

I am not a Staff Member, I am only V.I.P. Staff at the olive branch has tried to give me V. I. P. cards 4 times already. They are incredibly interesting people, and really Appreciate being called by name. It is true that the building could use a facelift, however, character is important too, and I have never been unimpressed with the cleanliness of the dining area.

I will share with you some of my personally favorite Menu Options.

Chicken Pesto Sandwich is Divine, you're guaranteed to love the homemade poppy seed dressing.

Mandarin Spinach Salad, served as a side with the Chicken Pesto Sandwich.

Chicken Amatricana, It's their Best Pasta Dish, My personal Favorite.

The Nachos and Chachos (with chicken) are extremely good, and if you want you can order a half portion which is extremely cheap too.

Any of the simple sandwiches or their quesadilla are great options for lunch.

Any of the Cheesecakes. (hint* at christmas time they make a candy cane Cheesecake which is definately to die for.

And Last But Definately Not Least is the TOMATO BREAD SOUP. it's cheap but Extremely Delicious.

thanks for reading this, I'd recommend this restaurant to anyone who wanted a light lunch or an extremely satisfying Pasta Dish. Or just come in for the amazing homemade desserts. mmmm bon appetite.

• 5 of 5 bubbles
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Sackville, NB
“Pasta that glombs”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 25, 2009

A pizza restaurant closed and another restaurant in town called The Olive Branch took over the space. They have been in the new location now for a few years, long enough to have done some improvements and get the cooking under control (you'd think!) In the old, cramped location, it was a pretentious restaurant with not very good food and rather high prices. Well, they've moved, we thought, maybe they have improved. Let's go!

Highway signage for the restaurant depicts a waiter showing a bottle of red wine to attractive, happy patrons who look as if they expect to have a gourmet experience. Hmmm. Improvements to the decor are desperately needed...it is a tired old restaurant that needs a facelift. The space is wonderful, but I feel as if I have returned to the 1960s when I am there.

When we went a few weeks ago we all ordered the special of the day -- how can you go wrong? -- which was a linguini dish with an interesting sounding spicy creamy Alfredo sauce. After a half-hour wait, pasta dishes arrived with a small amount of linguini in them. The pasta looked alarmingly as if it had been popped under the broiler.

I stuck my fork in it and when I tried to lift it out with a strand or two on linguini on it, the entire ball (for that's what it was) of linguini lifted right out of the dish! After a few attempts to free a piece or two, I realized that it was bonded together with a thick sauce that had dried out so I really could not separate the strips of linguini.

All of us had the same problem, so we called the waitress who expressed surprise. We asked for more sauce, thinking that at least might help. She said yes and went away. One of our party who was very hungry, began to eat hers cutting it apart with a serrated knife. The other three continued to try to eat as slowly as possible (we were starving), but by the time the sauce appeared about 15 minutes later, we had almost worked our way through the stuff. The sauce arrived in three large soup bowls and was also bizarre looking and tasting.

I would suggest that the chef go to an Italian restaurant and try the linguini there! He'd be quite surprised!

The latest update is that they often have live entertainment (good!!) and for the summer have built a fence out on the sidewalk and have tables and chairs out there. There is no covering, however, so you have to sit out in the hot sun!

Sackville, NB
“It's okay”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 20, 2009

The food is ok, the menu pretty small, but the service is good. Good lunch specials.