“Gracious owner, lovely property”

No photo provided
Got a photo?
Add it.
We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Sackville
The Savoy Arms Bed & Breakfast
Ranked #3 of 5 Sackville B&B and Inns
Toronto, Canada
“Gracious owner, lovely property”
Reviewed October 23, 2011

Excellent location, very comfortable bed, quiet and clean and welcoming

• Stayed September 2011, traveled solo
1 Thank 1964SeasonalTraveler

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room Tips
Nova Scotia
Reviewed September 18, 2011

The Savoy Arms is a spacious, lovingly restored and maintained home that offers personal care. It's within walking distance of everything in Sackville, including the Acadian bus (in good weather) and is only a block from the wildfowl marsh. The breakfast is great--fresh, quality dishes well prepared. The owners ask for punctuality at breakfast (your choice of time) for a good reason: deliciously prepared eggs, and eggs do not keep well. Fresh bread, home prepared jams, good coffee, & tea and freshly prepared juice and fruit prepare you well for an active day. No fluffy cold cereals, stale, sticky rolls, dried coffee or poor quality tea, all of which have become standard at B&Bs these days. I was able to invite a guest for breakfast, which showed some nice flexibility. The house has three cats; in deference to those allergic to cats, a large portion of the house is kept cat-free. This is an excellent place to stay if you remember that you are a guest in someone's home, not in the anonymity of a hotel.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled solo
3 Thank snowNovaScotia
Toronto, Canada
Reviewed June 8, 2011

What's not to like? Jean and Bill were gracious and congenial, exceptionally helpful, well-informed about Sackville and the area, totally welcoming and professional. They went the extra mile for us on several occasions. Their property is a lovely old home. Jean does a variety of breakfast eggs in her own inimitable style, and the preparations mean that she quite rightly needs to know in advance whether you want her special eggs, and at what time. If you choose not to have them, the rest of the breakfast offerings, including home baking, are excellent. If what you want is an authentic and friendly B&B experience in the hospitality of a comfortable private home, this is for you. If you're looking for anonymity, unlimited room service, and characterless subservience, go somewhere else.

• Stayed June 2011, traveled with friends
4 Thank klumpur
Saint Paul, MN
Reviewed September 30, 2010

Fortunately, I had read the previous reviews so I felt prepared. As someone who is very punctual and very particular, I had an enjoyable stay.

Jean and Bill were delightful, but, I can see why some might be "put off." Staying at a B&B, while it is "public accommodation," is NOT the same as staying at a hotel. Anyone who expects to be "anonymous" and to come and go as s/he pleases, should stick to the Coastal Inn.

Breakfast was wonderful and, as I was on a schedule, I didn't mind having to indicate a time. This would be annoying for someone on vacation who just wanted to wake up "whenever."

The bed was very comfortable, the bath generous, and - most of all - the free WiFi, a necessity. Off-street parking is a plus. And, if one has the time, you can walk to several local restaurants, shops, pharmacy, etc.

Having stayed in another Sackville B&B where the host was beyond snooty, I'd definitely stay here again. But, it was helpful to know what to expect.

My recommendation - Assess your own tastes, preferences, etc. and choose accordingly. Just as I won't go to a B&B with my nine year-old, neither should those who want more of a "hotel" experience.

• Stayed September 2010, traveled on business
3 Thank MSEH
Ramstein-Miesenbach, Germany
Reviewed June 19, 2010

I stayed at the Savoy Arms for two weeks several years ago. At first Bill and Jean seemed very kind and very friendly. They liked to sit and talk in the evening. They were adamant that I had to predict the exact time I might want breakfast in the morning, which I found strange, but they did seem nice.

The situation deteriorated over the course of my stay and I was very relieved to finally get out of there. Even though I did not want eggs for breakfast, just fruit and cereal that they could easily leave on the sideboard, they were very rude if I was late for breakfast, saying they had other guests to serve. They insisted on setting up a pretty table service instead of setting up the plates and cutlery on a sideboard so guests could help themselves at their own convenience.

I was working in Sackville and liked to go to the gym before breakfast. I would get up at 6:00 am and let myself out as quietly as possible. The house is old and does creak and is not sound-proof. I would come back at 7:00 am, again, as quietly as I could, have a shower and then breakfast before going to work. I was busy in the evenings as well, going out with a real estate agent to look for a permanent home and did not have time to sit with them in the evenings. They always wanted to know where I was going and when I would be back - very nosy. Very soon Jean stopped talking to me and would only glare at me when she saw me. At one point she accused me of treating their home like a hotel - well - duh! I wonder what they think a B&B is? I would not stay there again.

• Stayed January 2007, traveled on business
6 Thank Logical7
ontario
Reviewed April 9, 2010

this was not a welcoming stay. the service was not up to par; Jean was unable to make eggs for us in the morning. she initially offered it then stated that she simply could not do it. regardless we had to walk up at precisely 8am for a continental style breakfast, which was an unnecessary inconvenience.
despite being booked two months in advance we also received the only room without a tv and were offered the use of a living room which was cold and had a broken tv. i would not recommend this bed & breakfast to anyone.

• Stayed April 2010, traveled on business
5 Thank rilokiley01
Kitchener
Reviewed July 9, 2009

We were at the Inn to be close to our daughter studying at the university. Jean and Bill were exceptionally kind, offering to help us in any way, and also extending that offer to our daughter for the coming school year. Breakfast was delicious and the conversation lovely. We'll be back.

• Stayed June 2009, traveled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Sackville
Tantramar Motel
Sackville Bed and Breakfast
Marshlands Inn
Marshlands Inn
#2 of 5 in Sackville

Been to The Savoy Arms Bed & Breakfast? Share your experiences!