“Not worth the hype”

Ranked #3 of 5 Sackville B&B and Inns
Tempe, Arizona
“Not worth the hype”
Reviewed August 11, 2010

My husband and I began the process of booking a room here months in advance, exchanging e-mails and phone calls with the proprietors several times before receiving a verbal confirmation. A few weeks prior to our trip I re-confirmed with one of the owners. When we arrived we saw the deer in the headlights look from one of them. No record of our reservation. Fortunately they had a room, which was very nice. The entire inn is very pretty, although quite stiff feeling. I got the same feeling from the owner -- stiff, and not welcoming. We were told that the dining room would be open that evening for dinner, but told not to come at a particular time because they had a large group reservation. We decided to eat at another place, which was fine and much less expensive. I didn't think this place was worth the hype.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled as a couple
3 Thank mybunk

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (15)
Moncton, NB
Reviewed August 7, 2010

My husband took me to the Marshlands Inn for our first wedding anniversary. We had never stayed at an Inn before and were pleasantly surprised. Upon arrival we were greeted and check in was a breeze. My husband and I read about the history of the Marshlands Inn (staff did not offer any info on the history of the old home). We stayed in the Queens Suite (where Queen Elizabeth stayed in 1984). The room was beautifully decorated with antique furniture, claw-foot hydra bath, four post bed and many books to read (we weren't warned about there not being a TV). We went for a walk up to Main street, looked a a couple of art galleries and went back to the Inn to get ready for dinner. Dinner was great. The food was good, service good and desert was wonderful! After dinner we took our wine down to the garden and sat at one of their many cozy seating areas. The bed was quite comfortable. We missed breakfast (served only till 9:30 am) but took some time to take pictures in the lush gardens. Overall, we had a great experience at this charming Inn.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled as a couple
Amherst, Nova Scotia
Reviewed July 2, 2009

My husband and I heard the food was very good here so drove from Amherst, NS, to try a nice meal. We entered and found a gentleman who asked first if we had a reservation, we didn't...he hmmed and hawed a bit, but just when we thought we'd have to leave and try another day, finally, he reluctantly, showed us to a table and gave us menus .

And there we .... and sat... and sat.. Only two other tables were occupied and two wait staff were present.. one took the other tables order and disappeared.. we never saw her again! The other lady waited on the second table and after placing their order came out and sat down at a desk in the room, near that table where she began to chat with the folks over there... We were ignored totally!

After 15 minutes or more, we got up and walked out and no one said a word to us. Needless to say we will never return .. Did we not look affluent enough? We were approriately dressed for dining in a 'higher classed' establishment...

I do not recommend this Inn at all.. Rudeness is never desirable. If they felt we had violated some rule by coming without a reservation, why not have just said so politely at the door?? Although why that was a problem is anyones guess as they had many, many empty tables..

• Stayed July 2009, traveled as a couple

Travelers are raving about these Sackville hotels

Burlington, ON
Reviewed December 6, 2008

If I wasn't so happy to get married to the love of my life, Marshlands would have ruined my wedding day. The Inn was ridiculously understaffed (one person serving dinner to 78 people!!!) and thus some of my guests waited until 9PM to eat dinner! I even had to get my photographer to stay 1 hour later than I booked her for because of the delays. The ONE server kept bringing the wrong dinners to people and there was only one bartender who had been there all day to serve us us until 12am. (She passed out from heat exhaustion in the afternoon but stayed on because they had no other staff.) The service was seriously lacking at the front desk, some guests waited there for 1/2 hour (I'm not kidding) to check in. We booked the inn in January...they had 8 months notice of our wedding and we were thoroughly disgusted by the lack of service. They could have been prepared, they had the advance notice. I did suspect this was going to happen about a month in advance of the wedding because the owner never returned my e-mails clarifying details of the day. He also mocked me (the bride) to my face when I made a simple request to not grate the vegetables because I didn't want them to be mush. What little staff they do have (outside of themselves and their daughter) is very unhappy and expressed to me that they would be quitting ASAP because they can't take it anymore. The cheap porcelain dolls and over the top decor also really take away from what used to be (from what I hear) a gorgeous inn. Luckily our ceremony was still beautiful because we had it in a corner of their garden...the corner without all of the gaudy lawn ornaments. It could have been a much better day- and yes I still paid full price. Feel free to e-mail me if you would like more details of my experience. But please, do yourself a favour and steer clear of this place until it goes bankrupt and gets new owners who know how to restore it to what it used to be.

• Liked — The location
  • Disliked — Everything else- the service was especially horrendous.
  • Stayed August 2008
5 Thank silvarazz
denver, CO
Reviewed February 14, 2008

A little after dinner a very loud rock band began playing next door at a Fraternity house. This is a college town and there are a lot of noisy parties near this hotel. The management did nothing to try to get the unreasonable noise to stop and did not offer us any compensation for an absolutely terrible night. The band played very late and it might as well have been in our room!

The management was not the slightest bit apologetic for our discomfort and rudely responded " We provided everything we offered to you" The clincher is that the hotel knew about the rock concert and failed to inform us in advance. We would have stayed elsewhere.

• Liked — Room
  • Disliked — NOISE!!
  • Stayed September 2007, traveled with family
2 Thank kerryogorman
Hampton, New Hampshire
Reviewed October 29, 2007

We've stayed at the Marshlands on three occasions in the past two years. It is a wonderful old inn, full of anrtiques, with a wondeful garden out back. The rooms are always clean and comfortable. The annex rooms are larger and have TV's!

The owner is very friendly and helpful, but on occasion the Inn has seemed understaffed. This can be obvious in the elegant dining room. We have accepted this as a result of the slower pace of life In Sackville. Food service and quality is excellent by Sackville standards.

Location is great - just a minute off the Trans Canada Highway and right in downtown Sackville - walk to everywhere. Be warned, there is not much to do in Sackville - no shopping, no dining, zero nightlife. It is a college town, so there will be the occasional play, concert, etc. Make ure you visit the museum at Mount Allison University - it is surprising to find such treasures in a litte town like Sackville. Also noteworthy, especially for bird watchers, is the Tantramar Marsh boardwalk.

• Liked — Great location
  • Disliked — slow pace of service
  • Stayed September 2007, traveled as a couple
1 Thank VTing
Bahamas
Reviewed August 31, 2007

Marshlands Inn was a disaster. With a capital D.
While the building is among the prettiest in a pretty small town, inside the Inn operations are disastrous.
The Inn owners are rude, the service is incompetent and inattentive, the food is barely edible and our room smelled like a sewer.
Too bad - when I stayed there several years ago it was great.

• Stayed August 2007, traveled with family
4 Thank kdandie
Also consider these accommodations in or near Sackville
Coastal Inn Sackville
Chateau Moncton
#6 of 29 in Moncton
Fairfield Inn & Suites Moncton
Sackville Bed and Breakfast

Been to Marshlands Inn? Share your experiences!