“Awesome food and wonderful atmosphere!”
Review of St James Gate

St James Gate
Ranked #43 of 268 Restaurants in Moncton
Cuisines: Seafood, Canadian, Brew Pub
Good for: Bar scene
Dining options: Late Night, Dinner, Reservations
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Awesome food and wonderful atmosphere!”
Reviewed February 4, 2013

My husband and I have lived in Moncton for years and finally decided that we wanted to try out St. Jame's Gate after hearing amazing things about it. Well, I can tell you that we were very pleased with our choice to dine there. The place had a modern old-style feel, almost like an Irish pub or something and the lighting was very ambient, which was exactly what we love in a great dining experience. The only miniscule thing I would say that took away from our experience was the choice in music played. I know that it's also a bar and needs to accomodate to more than one crowd, however I definitely like more laid back music over rock in that kind of setting. All-in-all, the music is not going to stop us from going there again and that's the truth of the matter. What a wonderful experience!

• Visited February 2013
1 Thank RawBroadLisa

Moncton, Canada
“My Favourite place in Moncton!”
Reviewed January 25, 2013

I have been going there for years and have never been disappointed! It reminds me of Cheers, where everyone knows your name and since I am not originally from Moncton it made me feel at home. I likely go about once a month and the bartenders and waitresses all know me by name now. It is such a pleasure to go to a place where the staff takes the time to know you! It does have a regular following but there are many new faces each time I go. Now you may think I am a drinker because the bartenders know me so well but they also know that I seldom have more than one drink. My main reasons I love this place is the warm atmosphere, friendly service and great food! My recommendation would be the Chicken Carbonara, I have recommended this to many people and everyone loves it. My other favourites on the menu are the Artichoke & Spinach Dip, Greek Salad, Maple Halibut, Blackened Chicken and the bread/butter basket (which is to die for!!!).

• Visited January 2013
MA, USA
“Everything was very good.”
Reviewed January 24, 2013

I had Fish 'n Chips with soup of the day (creamy sweet potato) instead of chips. Good sized portions of fish that tasted great and the soup was really nice as well. Decent beer selection too. A tad pricey for me for the main entrees though, that's why I stuck with Fish 'n Chips.

Visited January 2013
1 Thank jaywtea
Moncton, Canada
“Great atmosphere and food!”
Reviewed December 13, 2012

The food is superb and the staff there always go out of their way to serve you. I will continue to go here for dinner and drinks. And also recommend it to my friends and family!

• Visited October 2012
Toronto, Canada
“traditional food, well done”
Reviewed December 10, 2012

For a great, no fuss meal, the St James was a really nice choice. I had fresh scallops in an amaretto sauce, and my colleague had rack of lamb. Both were quite good. Dessert menu was limited- we had chocolate cake, but it was just okay. Our appetizers were quite good too- beet salad, and bruschetta.
Overall, we quite liked our meal there.

Visited December 2012