“An incredible attraction right in the middle of town”
Review of Tidal Bore

Tidal Bore
Ranked #3 of 57 things to do in Moncton
Halifax, Canada
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 5 helpful votes
“An incredible attraction right in the middle of town”
Reviewed October 18, 2013

Moncton is a very walkable city with an interesting little downtown, but this phenomenon of the tidal bore is so understated. While visiting, my husband and I accidentally noticed the bore clock in front of the Tidal Bore park and walked along the shore around the time of an expected bore. It was incredible to see a surfer riding a wave that rounded the river bend, and to see the volume of water pour through! How had we lived in Nova Scotia and not been aware of the majesty of this experience? You need to see this. The next morning, we drove to Riverview to see the vista from the other side and saw a sunrise beyond belief. I don't think we could ever tire of the constantly changing vistas of the Petticodiac in Moncton, and we will definitely go back. In the meantime, we are reading about the Saxby Gale, another underestimated Moncton phenom (look for the blue lines on the waterfront buildings that mark the flooding height).

Visited October 2013
3 Thank Denise P

Nova Scotia
25 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 129 helpful votes
“alwasys amazes me”
Reviewed October 18, 2013

It is so "cool" to see how fast the water comes in and fills up again. The current is so fast, and fills so quick, it is just an amazing thing to see.
I never tire to watching it. It is just one of those wonderful things of nature.

Visited October 2013
Texas
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 9 helpful votes
“Not disappointed!”
Reviewed October 15, 2013

I had not seen any videos and did not know what to expect. We were staying at the Rodd Moncton Hotel, directly in front of the river walkway so made a point of going to watch at almost midnight, with an impending 6am flight. It was a full moon but cloudy, so very dark. The water was very still and quiet until we heard the wave approaching. Once we could see it, it was not very tall but still impressive as it made it's way up the river. I might have been disappointed if I was expecting a huge wave but I really had no idea, so found it very cool.

Visited August 2013
Melbourne, Australia
33 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 23 helpful votes
“A phenomenon of nature”
Reviewed October 10, 2013

By accident, we happened to be strolling outside our hotel, along the riverfront at Moncton, late one day. We heard a curious swishing water sound and turned our heads. A mini wall of water had formed from one river bank to the other in a straight line, and this mini wall was whooshing down the river in a rapid but steady progression. It was as though someone had opened the sluice gate somewhere upstream to create this phenomenon. We were assured that it happened twice a day at the change of tides. At one tide the gush travels upstream and at the other tide it flows downstream. We felt privileged to have been lucky enough to see this phenomenon caused by the extraordinary high tides throughout the Bay of Fundy region. You can see the phenomenon at other places in the region, I believe.

Visited June 2013
Port Alberni, Canada
7 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 9 helpful votes
“Interesting phenomenon to see”
Reviewed October 4, 2013

We were somewhat underwhelmed by the size of the wave but enjoyed the small park and info centre and watching the surfers ride the wave in. This is a natural event and a must see but it is not as big a wave as we expected after the hype. I would tell people they need to see it once though for sure.

Visited September 2013