“Next time I will find better place to stay”

Howard Johnson Inn Moncton
Ranked #25 of 28 Hotels in Moncton
Vaughan, Canada
“Next time I will find better place to stay”
Reviewed August 3, 2012

We stayed one night in this hotel during our trip to atlantic provinces.Receptionist was friendly and check in was fast.Room was clean . Shower was clogged and when I opened water it started spraying in all over the place . There was advertized complimentary warm breakfast ( WARM were just tea and coffee).Next time I would find better place to stay.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank Arkadi69

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (43)
Truro, Canada
Reviewed July 28, 2012

we had the queen executive it was a pleasant surprise. Kids totally injoyed them selves and staff was excellent, friendly and helpful. Any thing you could need you can find on the same road. It worked great for us

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
2 Thank Anastasia M
Saint John, Canada
Reviewed July 2, 2012

This motel seemed overpriced for the quality of the room. The rooms are small and do smell of smoke. The pool was a huge disappointment. It closed at 8pm and there was no hot tub as advertised when booked. There had been one but it looks like it was taken out and covered. The pool water was freezing. The receptionists were both very friendly and check in was nice and quick. The location of this motel was fine for us as we have a car and are familiar with Moncton. It is not walking distance to downtown or the mall but is to some restaurants and bars. The mall and downtown area are very easy to get to by car though. It is not too far off the highway. Our room came with a fridge, microwave and coffee maker. If this motel was priced a bit lower I would have been much more happy with it.

Room Tip: The rooms upstairs are obviously quieter but are accessible by stairs only so keep this in mind if t...
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled with friends
2 Thank ACD123456789
Grand Falls, New Brunswick, Canada
Reviewed July 1, 2012

This is one of the most comfortable places to stay in Moncton beds are extremely comfortable nice situation on the mountain road close to everything.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
3 Thank Luc R
Halifax, Canada
Reviewed July 1, 2012

I stayed at this motel in late March this year (2012), and while it was a clean place or sleep, that's about all I can say for this motel.

Our room was ready when we arrived, which was nice, however upon entering it, we were unimpressed. Not only did it reek of cigarette smoke, but it was freezing! The hotel was supposed to have a no smoking policy in the rooms, so either someone didn't obey this, or it was wafting in from the walkway outside. It was not a pleasant aroma to arrive to.

While I can understand them wanting to save on heating and perhaps turning the heat down while the room is unoccupied, this was a but much. We had to leave out jackets on until it warmed up.

The other pet peeve I had about this room was the bathroom sink. Not only did it not have a drain guard (I saw a toothbrush down there) but the taps were the kind you sometimes find in cheap public washrooms that don't stay on. It's frustrating enough to have to somehow wash one hand at a time or try and fight with your elbows to try and keep the tap on in a public washroom you may only ever use once, but to have to deal with this for a night ( thankfully we only stayed here one night) was near torture.

The room did have a nice new flat screen TV, and it was clean, which was nice, but you'd think they might have made changes the taps in the bathroom before buying a new tv.

This motel also advertised a free contential breakfast. This was downright laughable. There were a choice of 3 cereals, one tray of small muffins, a bowl of fruit that had maybe 3 things in it (that had been there when we checked in the day before), and a loaf of bread and a toaster (which I didn't see until we were leaving after having eaten our meager muffins). Now, I realize that contential breakfast isn't usually the most amazing breakfast in the world, but I did expect a little more than this. Not being able to have cereal (lactose intolerant) our only option was the muffin and maybe the fruit, as we didn't notice the bread and toaster tucked away in a corner. We ended up going to Tim Horton's for something a bit more substantial after we checked out.

This motel did have a pool, though we didn't use it.

All in all, while it was cheap and clean, there are most definitely other places in the Moncton area that are around the same price that are a much better choice than this motel. Unless it changed drastically since, I would avoid this motel.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled with friends
3 Thank SilverHaze

Travelers are raving about these Moncton hotels

Halifax, Canada
Reviewed June 18, 2012

I checked in to room 39. Found a "bug". Brought to front desk. I wanted to cancel my reservation. They gave me another room. This had dried spilled drink all over the night stand. They hadn't vacuumed. There was a hair (could have just been left from laundry). I went back to the front desk. They tried to give me a third room, there was something dried on the night stand. The hotel person scratched it off and said it was nothing. He then went to see what I was talking about in the second room. He picked up the pieces of stuff off the floor. Picked the hair off the sheet. Did admit the spill was definitely something the cleaner should have seen/cleaned.
He asked if I was now ok with the third room. I wasn't. I said if there is something in two rooms I could see I don't know what is there that I don't see.
The reply from the staff person was in part that my expectations, for cleanliness, basically were too high..."You're not living in reality".

Room Tip: Always look over your room first thing.
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled with friends
4 Thank Krista M
Miramichi, Canada
Reviewed May 4, 2012

We stayed in the honeymoon suite, we loved the updated bedding as I saw from one of the responses on this site (The cutain should match the bedding tho) . The bed was ok, it squeaked with every movement you made (you could tell it was older mattress) but still had a great sleep. Loved the heart shaped tub which was very relaxing (the cold water tap leaked though hard to get it to stop) We went to go to the pool however it was freezing!!! We could only stay in for a couple minutes :( The staff were wonderful! Also didnt have the breakfast so couldnt tell you how that was! Overall id give the hotel a 3.5 out of 5. Also please update your hotel directory so it doesnt say beacon lite motel ....

• Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple
3 Thank Awilson89
Nisha C, Manager at Howard Johnson Inn Moncton, responded to this review, June 14, 2012
Thank you for your comments and we will work harder to get 5 out 5 marks from you on your next trip and you will be happy to see our new decor in our rooms.