“Great beer, great location, definitely not the Garrison food.”

King Street Ale House
Ranked #22 of 230 Restaurants in Fredericton
Cuisines: American, Barbecue, Canadian
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Reviewed January 3, 2014

Like many other reviewers here, I had high hopes for the KSAH, fredericton missed its Garrison House atmosphere, beer selection and great food.

I ate here last night as a party of 6. War river with no reservation and would be told it would be a bit of a wait. No problem since the bar has a great seating area and we well taken care of by the bar staff. Wince we did sit down, I found the menu overpriced, but found that my husband and I had trouble deciding what to have. My husband hd the seafood cakes, then the brisket - he loved both. I had the portobello burger with a Greek salad. The burger was ok at best: not enough wet condiments, so the burger was a bit dry. My Greek salad had beets on it. Very unexpected and not very welcome. The rest of our table liked their food, but nine of us were raving about it.

The service was fantastic, everyone was really friendly, our food and drinks arrived in no time at all, at the atmosphere on the pub side is nice. The beer selection is really, really good, as is the rest of the drink menu. A little something for everyone.

Overall, I would recommend this place for a "drinks and appetizer" kind of night, but the food might leave you slightly on the disappointed side.

Reviewed December 25, 2013

We decided to go to the Ale House for a reunion with old friends that were down for the holidays. The only thing I liked was the atmosphere of the pub. The service was slow, even though it was not very busy. I had the full rack of ribs, that were so over cooked, that I could barely eat them. As well, they ran out of Stella. Running out of beer in a Ale House? Don't think I will be back the next time we are in Fredericton.

2  Thank Scott W
Reviewed December 24, 2013

Beer selection may be good but the food is awful! Many food trucks serve much better food than this place. If you have fond memories of The Garrison you will be mighty disappointed.

2  Thank Deborah C
Reviewed December 19, 2013

Been twice, once for lunch and once for dinner. First, the good:

- The Beer menus is fantastic. They have a huge beer selection, with all kinds of hidden gems and new things for you to try. If you have a taste for different types of beer, you will find something to your liking.

- The Ribs. I had these for dinner and they were awesome. Smoked, nicely cooked, and not overly fatty. It was a good size portion for the price and I left that meal feeling very happy.

- Service was great, staff were really friendly. The atmosphere is nice.

The bad:

- The lunch menu is a pale shadow of the dinner menu. It's limited to some appetizers, salads, sandwiches/burgers, and a couple token other things. I had the Big Mock burger, and while it wasn't bad, it was overpriced for what it is (a complaint I heard frequently at the table for lunch). You can get a better burger elsewhere in the city for less money.

- The Poutine add-on for a lunch item is really small.

In general I can't really recommend the place for lunch, as other places have better for less. Dinner has a much better food selection with what I think is a real winner in the ribs, along with a fantastic beer menu.

Reviewed December 14, 2013

This restaurant has recently reopened in a new location. I've been there once for drinks, and once for dinner with the significant other. The beer selection, as when it was "Garrison", is still excellent - probably the best in Fredericton. The staff in the new place are also great - enthusiastic, friendly, interested, and actually an improvement over the predecessor. There are a lot of the same people, but they seem to have more of a spring in their step here.

Atmosphere here is also great. We sat in the back, which is what I'd describe as "up-scale pub". The front half is a bit too open and stark for my liking. We just walked through it to get to the back, but it feels as if there's no privacy - like a cafeteria. You can see every other diner in there, so I don't know that I'd be trying to have a romantic dinner out front.

Now, the food... I always liked the food at Garrison, but I have to say my experience so far with King St. Ale house was not fantastic.

The night I dined there, my partner and I started off with a "Crimson Falafel", which is basically a little burger-patty type thing made of beetroot, garbanzo bean, cilantro, flat leaf parsley, tzatziki, chickpea dust, with a pomegranate-balsamic reduction. Sounds exotic. Our review was "not bad", but a little dry. The beet flavour was by far the most dominant. We're cilantro-lovers and couldn't taste it at all. The "dressing" on it was great, but there wasn't enough of it.

For our main, we both had the brisket, which comes with choice of side (we both got fries), coleslaw, baked beans, and cornbread. My one-word review is "bland". I've had genuine brisket in the southern States, and this was no-where near the mark. It just isn't flavourful, and I'm not sure why - maybe it needs some kind of sauce? The flavour you *can* taste is good, but I expected something more "robust". I extend the same comment to the coleslaw - bland, bland, bland. I've made better at home. It was basically moistened cabbage. Now, the beans - good flavour (still bland) but my big quibble here was quantity, which was about three tablespoons. When you tell me I'm getting beans on the side, I expect at least half a cup. Cornbread - again - bland, but not desperately so. Problem is, when I get cornbread I also expect a giant glob of heart-stopping, artery-clogging butter. No butter in sight, and I didn't ask for it. Why? Because as dedicated cornbread eaters know, you need to get that butter on there right when the thing comes out of the oven - when it's good and hot, so it can melt all into that cornbread goodness. Finally, the fries. They were nice skinny little string fries and seemed promising but were, alas, bland. Salt helped a bit, but not a lot. I also found that they had a "greasy" feel. I realize that fries are deep-fried, but they were missing a certain crispness, or something.

Overall, we were a little disappointed (and I was disappointed that I was disappointed - I have huge hopes for this place). We were hoping to have our minds blown by the brisket, but it just didn't happen. We will try it again, in case this was just an aberration, but I've heard a couple of other people say the same thing.

I would definitely recommend this place for drinks and a snack, but I'm not sure about a full meal. My plan now is to go back and try one of my old favourites that transferred from the Garrison menu, just to see if it's all off-kilter, or if we just had bad luck ordering the first time out.

2  Thank Askjacat