“I love this place!”

Cuisines: Japanese
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed September 6, 2013

I have tried about half of their enormous menu and I have yet to have a piece I didn't love. Kid friendly. Great place!

1  Thank Melissa T

Reviewed August 8, 2013

The atmosphere is very pretty and the service fast and efficient, but it is not very authentic Japanese food. Very much a Korean take. I am Japanese so I know! Some dishes are served in the wrong kind of dish. Sunomono was served on a plate with Korean chopsticks... very challenging to eat. Chirashi-don had the tamago chopped into tiny pieces and sprinkled on top, again served on a plate... this makes it very hard to eat. It also means that you have egg with almost every mouthful. Not quite what you are looking for in a chirashi. For that dish, you want to savour each different piece of fish separately. As someone who lives in a large centre and travels extensively, this is definitely the best in town, but below large city standards for this price.

2  Thank Mia O
Reviewed August 8, 2013

Naru was recommended by a coworker a few months ago and I was sceptical. Fredericton is known for providing meat and potatoes, pub grub and a few market-worthy creative meal options on weekends. I have been back twice, and my wife three times. Here's why:

The restaurant is located on Queen Street, in the heart of the city. Every time we walk in we are promptly greeted, seated and never have to attract a waiter or waitresses attention for service. They are attentive, but not overbearing. We have never had to wait for a table, but I wouldn't mind because that would mean that business is picking up and they're here for the long haul.

We have tried their calamari, stuffed mushrooms, sumo roll and a jalapeno roll (I can't remember the full name); all delicious! Their attention to detail and plating is beautiful and ranges from simplistic to extravagant. You should not leave this restaurant hungry because the selection is extensive and you should only be limited by your curiosity and how adventurous your taste buds are feeling. To those that are timid about the idea of sushi, they have many cooked, non-fish and vegetarian options.

Price-wise, I see no reason to complain. A little over $60 for 2 appetizers, a beer, 2 sodas, and 2 main course sushi dishes and great service? Money well spent on one of Fredericton's up and coming restaurants.

The next time your party planner friend suggests pub grub, suggest Naru. You won't know unless you try it and you won't be disappointed.

3  Thank gsmackay
Reviewed July 15, 2013

Ate at this Korean-run place twice in the last week, the second time a bit rushed as had to catch a flight.

The first dinner (40$ +tip a head) was leisurely and included a large cold sake each for my friend and I. We had boiled, salted Edamame (excellent), Assorted Tempura (Shrimp good but veggies a bit over-battered and flacid and the dipping sauce lacking in body), Spicy Tuna Tataki (9 small but impeccable slices of tuna - not seared but perhaps poached in hot liquid as the colour was beige, all on a bed of shaved Daikon. Again the sauce lacked body), a rainbow roll (they replaced the fake with real crab for a buck, very tasty) and three nigiri pieces (Tobiko, a great Japanese scallop, and an oddly sliced - with the grain? - piece of white tuna). Service by Kelsey was friendly and down-easterly.

Second visit with another friend was $32 plus tip (Sapporo for one of us, tea for the other), the tuna tataki again, two nigiri (Scallop and red tuna, the latter again sliced thin and long), a wonderful Una Crab roll that had eel in it, and another order of similarly flawed tempura.

On the second occasion the manager seated us fast and got our order out quickly which was much appreciated.

I think this was very good value, the fish was fresh and the place was full on both occasions. Well situated, downtown the decor is nice and the food is served with a modicum of aesthetic flair.

Nice to see Fredericton get this calibre of restaurant. Long may it prosper.

Reviewed July 3, 2013

My first, but hopefully not last, visit to Naru Sushi was fantastic! They feature the largest menu I've ever seen in a Japanese restaurant, a trendy and interesting decor, and a great down-town location.

We tried the sashimi and a mix of vegetarian and traditional maki. Everything was beautifully presented, arrived quite quickly, and was excellently prepared. The prices were reasonable for this type of restaurant (Sushi is a specialty and a delicacy so it is not for the economy diner). With so many options on their menu, it's difficult to choose! However, they have something to cater to every taste, making it ideal for groups, families, or couples--even if you have fussier/less-adventurous diners amongst you.

Despite a reservation, we did have to wait for a table on a Friday night at peak time. Naru is very popular, and I think a reservation would be wise!