“Worst Pho Ever”

Dining options: Reservations
Toronto, Canada
“Worst Pho Ever”
Reviewed November 18, 2013 via mobile

It was simply terrible. I'm from Toronto where there are far more Vietnamese restaurants to compare and choose from but I was on an East Coast road trip with my girls. We were heading home and decided to stop in Fredericton for dinner. Missing my Asian cuisine I looked up Asian restaurants near by on Urban Spoon and this place was the only option available on Sunday besides Thai Express however we didn't want fast food. First of all I've never paid $10 for a bowl of pho in my life until I came here. It's only $5-6 in Toronto and the quality is 100 times better. They only gave one option of meat here and if you wanted anything else, it was an extra $3. (ie. well done, rare, beef brisket, beef flank, beef ball) Not the case in a Toronto. They also charged $0.75 for 'extra' bean sprouts which normally should just come a plenty on the side with your order. What killed me was that they didn't have basil. This is a meal traditionally served with basil!!! The owner heard my girlfriends and I complaining the entire time that we were there so she came over to "defend" herself telling us that things are different in Fredericton. That people actually think $10 is a deal for such a large noodle soup. Then she had the nerve to tell us that they don't serve basil there because it's hard to grow in Fredericton!! Do I look like an imbecile? Herbs are not hard to harvest on my window seal so don't tell me you can't grow basil on New Brunswick soil! They also screwed up one of my girlfriends order. She was the only one that didn't order the pho. She ordered rice with beef stir fry and asked for no carrots and more bean sprouts but instead she received an abundance of carrots. To make matters worse, an hour after leaving this establishment my girlfriend and I had the runs!! We had to make 2 separate emergency stops. I'm not making this up. I like to give credit where it's deserved. This place was embarrassing. Just because your customers might not know what is 'authentic', don't lie to them! You're giving Vietnamese cuisine a bad name! And I'm not just saying this because I'm from Toronto. I've had pho in much smaller towns in suburban parts of U.S.A and they make it a 1,000 times better.

5 Thank Kasadilla

Fredericton, Canada
“Great appe-teezer platter”
Reviewed October 14, 2013

Loved the chicken spring rolls and golden won tons. The saigon yellow curry was mild and I may try the Thai green curry next time. Loved the Lo-mein noodles also

• Visited August 2013
Kamloops
“Awesome Take Out”
Reviewed September 21, 2013

After a long motorcycle ride from Quebec City we were too tired to think about going out. We thoroughly enjoyed the rare beef pho soup and the mild green curry. It arrived at our room hot and tasty. Fresh ingredients and really tasty broth made the soup a real winner. The curry just as good.

• Visited September 2013
Fredericton, Canada
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Decent Pho, Mixed up service”
Reviewed September 14, 2013

I ordered the rare beef pho. I was informed that there was a lunch special which had the rare beef pho and a roll. The only difference was the soup would be a slightly smaller bowl. However when it arrived (I had to wait awhile), my order was incorrect. I wasn't in a rush so it was alright, their one server was very busy and I felt bad for her. However when my soup did arrive it was not "slightly" smaller but less than half the size of the pho the server had accidentally given me before! Needless to say I was disappointed. I was also disappointed by the serving style. In most vietnamese restaurants I've been they give you thai basil, bean sprouts and other condiments for you to place in your own soup. That was not the case and I felt something was missing in the broth as a result.
It was a better bowl of pho than I expected but doesn't compare to what I'm used to from Toronto.

• Visited September 2013
1 Thank Elizabeth H
Toronto, Canada
“Decent food but slightly overpriced”
Reviewed September 11, 2013

Headed here for dinner as it was close to our hotel and the food was nothing to rave home about. It was average since I'm used to having authentic Vietnamese / Thai food in Toronto.

We shared the appetizer platter to start.
I had the vermicelli with grilled pork and spring roll, while my partner had the pad thai with tofu, shrimp and chicken.
Overall the food was decent especially keeping in mind that we were in Fredericton.

Visited September 2013